Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 doing punk rock...?

JerEvil

Why the heck not! LOL!

https://soundcloud.com/jerevil/c2k-new-hellraiser

This is a track from my punk band "Cherry 2000". I am re-recording and re-mixing a bunch of our stuff since it was super inconsistent.

Gear on this is:
• Les Paul Trad Pro w/Balaguer Evergreen hum buckers
• Two notes Torpedo Studio
- Two Notes Fried30 w/57 & 121
- Celestion Official G12M-65 57/121 Dark
• EZDrummer 2
- Modern Basic kit
• Logic Pro
- Used Logic's Bass Amp Designer as well

Tracks are pretty raw and just wanted to see how the Friedman worked for this stuff. I will get some proper mixing and all done for sure. Did 2 rhythm tracks and a doubled solo.

The song is called "What's Your Pleasure, Sir?" and is about being a Cenobite (Hellraiser antagonists...)

slyym":1ytkn2x0 said:
Love it! sounds like it was recorded live. Was that what you where going for?
Thanks man. Nope, I recorded all this stuff about 2 years ago but it was all at different times, so I'm just looking to redo everything to make the songs more consistent. That might have just been a happenstance that it sounds live…

Glad you dug it though!

NeubyWanKaneuby":10ia4ceh said:
I used to play punk on a 7-string, so no rules apply. :LOL: :LOL:

Sounds good!
Man that's the anti-punk setup which makes it even MORE punk rock!

errrrrl":10ia4ceh said:
Sounds pretty cool to me!
Thanks! I have a Butterslax in my possession for a short bit again so I'll likely throw down some rhythm tracks with it for all the songs since I can knock them out quick.

kurtsstuff2003":1fa1t9ry said:
The true essence of punk is: no rules,no boundaries all is fair!! lol!
Right? We played with a band here in Vegas that felt the need to have "100% PUNK ROCK" printed on their shirts... If you gotta tell someone how punk rock you are, you ain't punk rock!

Sorry to be the dissenting opinion. But, Ya got some basic hard rock thing happening there. The gear is unimportant. Punk is about the feel and the lyrics and energy of good punk just isn't quite there.
Perhaps I'm jus old and the Punk I listen to regularly is not the yardstick of comparison any longer. Ie...Ramones, DK, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Descendants, DRI...etc

Wish you the best with the project.

Panzer917-30":3myxsztk said:
Sorry to be the dissenting opinion. But, Ya got some basic hard rock thing happening there. The gear is unimportant. Punk is about the feel and the lyrics and energy of good punk just isn't quite there.
Perhaps I'm jus old and the Punk I listen to regularly is not the yardstick of comparison any longer. Ie...Ramones, DK, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Descendants, DRI...etc

Wish you the best with the project.
True enough on the lyrics not being there... there isn't any! LOL! I am a big Misfits, Ramones, Descendants fan as well. Our stuff is not for everyone that's for sure. Definitely err's on the side of rock laden punk. Absolutely zero message in the music. There are enough bands in the genre that have had or still have plenty to say. We aren't one of them!

My point about calling out the Friedman being used is I rarely if ever see anyone using them for non-classic or heavy metal.

Thanks regardless for checking it out. i am always open to any feedback for sure.

Sounds punk to me! And sounds good.

I had a DS40 and I think that they can be made to do anything short of tight, Mesa-style drop-tuned metal. I currently have a BE100 and feel that I can play ANYTHING (that I would want to play) on it. I've owned or had in my possession a lot of classic and boutique amps over the years and the Friedman stuff is the most satisfying for me to play. I hope that my tone journey is mostly over with the BE, because I honestly don't know where I could go from there. The Wizards and Metropolous stuff are the only things I'm even still curious about. But since we just don't get any of that out here in the sticks of MT, I don't see me getting to try them any time soon. Which is fine, because the BE just does it for me (even more than the Smallbox and Dirty Shirley did it for me).

Back