3 Amps, 1 Cab - Henning, Splawn, Fryette & K100's...

JerEvil

Here's a quick set of clips sort of playing the same'ish riffs. I used the PRS SC245

I used the same cab on all 3 amps. Dialed in for my usual type of sound. I haven't played the Quick Rod in ages and was looking to potentially sell it but damn if I don't still love this amp!

I really liked the Splawn the most. The other two sounded overly compressed and like you were fighting playing them.

hstlaurent":1scj2iw2 said:
Great playing. I like the Fryette the most, followed by the Henning
It's funny, I go through phases where I want to sell everything I own... then I play the damn things and can't imagine offing any of them. I LOVE the Fryette as well. Since 2007, she of my favorite amps of all time.

psychodave":1scj2iw2 said:
I really liked the Splawn the most. The other two sounded overly compressed and like you were fighting playing them.
Yeah the Splawn seems to be the amp I have put up for sale more than any other over the last few years but like I said, I spend 10 minutes with it and I think, "YOU'RE A MORON! This amp slays!!!!'

The "fighting" was most likely me having no idea what to play! LOL! They all feel pretty similar under the fingers.

It really depended on exactly what you were playing. The Henning was really tight where the Splawn was a bit muddy but the Splawn had a nice thickness that the Henning didnt have. The VHT sounded great on some riffs but a bit mid-focused on others. Overall I guess Henning but I could have fun with any of them.

I liked the Henning the most. Great sounding amp. The Quick Rod was nice, but darker. The VHT was ok. But sounded a bit stiff.

They all sounded great, I probably liked the VHT best. Thanks for sharing, interesting to hear them side by side like that. Very cool.

I am do tondo a full playthrough Dunky's vid on the Splawn and Fryette. Haven't done those yet.

I really like the QuickRod, but that's probably because I have a few :LOL: :LOL:

They all sounded fine...although I like a less compressed tone/feel, in general.
Not a bad stable of amps.

Nice playing as well :rock:

The Fryette Sig X kind of set itself apart. Awesome amp. The Henning seems to have kind of a Soldano thing going on. Splawn, of course, a close second to the Sig X.

Great job Jerry as usual.

What's awesome about this clip and the responses is that it just proves that we like different things for different reasons. I liked all three for different reasons as well.

Just based on the clips, the Henning sounded best to me. I thought the QR and Fryette sounded darker and more compressed and had less grind. I've owned both of those amps and know that they aren't dark/compressed amps, so probably just the way they came off in the recording.

Back