Just picked up a Suhr Modern Satin...

I found the Modern Pro (Bengal Burst, HSH) thin-and-harsh-sounding except for the neck-pickup positions. Tried to get along with it for 2 years but gave up in the end.

The Modern Satin (HSH), on the other had, is a different kettle of fish altogether. I love the mahogany tones, which aren't overly-bass-heavy as is often the case. My guess is it's the overall size and thickness of the body that Suhr got just-right in this regard.

In fact, I'm amazed by this lack of too-much-bass weight when I consider the fact that the neck's mahogany too, and that the custom superstrats I had made in the '90s, which all had mahogany bodies and maple necks, were muddy-sounding and too-bass-heavy.

Anyway, I've often said that I think the Satin delivers the best-bang-for-buck value the company offers; the sound to me is much better than the Modern Pros, which are almost twice the price. The hardware is the same. The only differences are the neck radius and woods.

Monkey Man":64ohon2m said:
I found the Modern Pro (Bengal Burst, HSH) thin-and-harsh-sounding except for the neck-pickup positions. Tried to get along with it for 2 years but gave up in the end.

The Modern Satin (HSH), on the other had, is a different kettle of fish altogether. I love the mahogany tones, which aren't overly-bass-heavy as is often the case. My guess is it's the overall size and thickness of the body that Suhr got just-right in this regard.

In fact, I'm amazed by this lack of too-much-bass weight when I consider the fact that the neck's mahogany too, and that the custom superstrats I had made in the '90s, which all had mahogany bodies and maple necks, were muddy-sounding and too-bass-heavy.

Anyway, I've often said that I think the Satin delivers the best-bang-for-buck value the company offers; the sound to me is much better than the Modern Pros, which are almost twice the price. The hardware is the same. The only differences are the neck radius and woods.

Well said. I agree about being surprised by the tone of an all hog guitar like the Modern Satin. It's thick and meaty, yet has plenty of bite and punch. Sounds huge. It's a REALLY nice tonal space that's adaptable to most any style. Suhr found a really special recipe here. Kills for the hard rock stuff I'm mostly into.

The Suhr satin guitars are excellent for sure. I think there's a video on YT that shows the comparison between a satin & custom modern (mahogany body & neck of course) and there's relatively unnoticeable difference in sound from the two guitars. It's a pretty cool advert for their satin guitars.

The one interesting thing I've noticed about my Satin is that it has a much smaller trem block that the 510s on my other Suhrs.

I wonder if the larger block would be a worthwhile upgrade? It always seems to help the cheaper strats.

Most Suhr's are 1.650 at the nut. Jacksons and Charvels have a noticeably wider feel. The Suhr necks aren't paper think like an Ibanez but I wouldn't call them beefy at all. Ernie Ball necks are 1.625 so even more narrow but they have a rounder feel and 10inch radius on the neck. About my favorite, because I keep going back to it, is the PRS DGT. It's around 1.653. The Suhr Satins have intrigued me because of their body wood but when I played them......I don't know, they felt ok. A local place stocks them along with a ton of other high end stuff so there's a lot of eye candy there to google at.

danyeo":2xdko0mt said:
..but when I played them......I don't know, they felt ok.
I played a GG model at Tone Merchants a few years ago and thought the same thing. I don't think the guitar was set up that well, though.

danyeo":11rhn1gh said:
Ernie Ball necks are 1.625 so even more narrow but they have a rounder feel and 10inch radius on the neck.
FYI, the Luke II (haven't checked the LIII spec) has a 12" radius on the neck.

The Satin, IIRC, is 14", so a fair-bit flatter.

Bxlxaxkxe":11rhn1gh said:
Monkey Man":11rhn1gh said:

Well said. I agree about being surprised by the tone of an all hog guitar like the Modern Satin. It's thick and meaty, yet has plenty of bite and punch. Sounds huge. It's a REALLY nice tonal space that's adaptable to most any style. Suhr found a really special recipe here. Kills for the hard rock stuff I'm mostly into.
Totally, man! It's cock-rock heaven, I reckon.

Oodles of woody character with the balls to make it work.

Monkey Man":1f4a7yeb said:
danyeo":1f4a7yeb said:
Ernie Ball necks are 1.625 so even more narrow but they have a rounder feel and 10inch radius on the neck.
FYI, the Luke II (haven't checked the LIII spec) has a 12" radius on the neck.

The Satin, IIRC, is 14", so a fair-bit flatter.

Bxlxaxkxe":1f4a7yeb said:
Monkey Man":1f4a7yeb said:

Totally, man! It's cock-rock heaven, I reckon.

Oodles of woody character with the balls to make it work.

You're right. I had the Axis in mind. I think the Luke and Morse are 12 radius, I forget what the Petrucci has.

Back