Just picked up a Suhr Modern Satin...

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Will be here Saturday. Anyone have on of these currently? Never had a Suhr- not really "suhr" what to expect from the neck. My number one criteria during this latest guitar hunt was playability. The more comfortable a guitar is to play- the more fun I have. My hands lean towards the smaller size, so I'm curious how I will get on the with neck shape of this Modern Satin. I was also looking at an Ernie Ball Axis, again because of the well reviewed neck shape. If this doesn't work out- that will be next. How do folks like the SSH+? I'm really into 80's and early 90s rock - seems like the SSH+ will be right at home for those genres. Thoughts/feedback/experience? For some reason I'm not that excited about it right now- should I be?

What finish, pickup configuration, and bridge?

My modern satin was one of the best sounding guitars I owned. I should not have sold it. I thought the SSH+ wouldnt be enough since my other Suhrs have Aldrich pickups but it was perfect.

Nut width is 1.650 so it's narrow and the radius and actual shape are very comfortable.

I have many guitars with varying neck widths and thicknesses, and my Suhr has what I'd consider a slightly wider neck than the typical strat. It almost feels like a Jackson. The playability is great. I have the Suhr Classic Pro, but I've played the modern satins several times before. I originally wanted to buy one, but this deal came around first. The modern satins were great. The pickups aren't anything different, and like many guitars, there's probably a 50/50 chance you'll want to swap pickups. The stainless steel frets are a little slicker than nickel, but you get used to them very fast. Suhrs have great intonation. There really is a level of quality and consistency that you don't find in many manufacturers, so you won't be disappointed. The moderns look a bit plain in the pictures, but when you have one in your hands and you can see the wood grain and the way the light plays off of the satin surface, they're pretty sexy guitars man.

Metlupass2":380c4tkw said:
What finish, pickup configuration, and bridge?

My modern satin was one of the best sounding guitars I owned. I should not have sold it. I thought the SSH+ wouldnt be enough since my other Suhrs have Aldrich pickups but it was perfect.

Nut width is 1.650 so it's narrow and the radius and actual shape are very comfortable.

Natural, HSH, Gotoh 510. Not a mark on her.

Great guitars. For playability... near impossible to beat. Suhr has the high-end, super high build quality Strat shape down pat. I recently picked up an Antique Classic S with similar specs and love it. The Gotoh 510 is stable and very reliable so far. I think you will not be dissapointed.

SavageRiffer":22r3yeoy said:
my Suhr has what I'd consider a slightly wider neck than the typical strat. It almost feels like a Jackson.

I have to totally disagree with this. Every Modern I've ever played used a 1.65 nut. Jacksons use 11/16ths (1.6875). It's one of the reasons I think I've never gotten along with any of the Suhrs I've tried. Sounds like this could be a good thing though for the OP.

xzacx":2j7lhj5x said:
SavageRiffer":2j7lhj5x said:
my Suhr has what I'd consider a slightly wider neck than the typical strat. It almost feels like a Jackson.

I have to totally disagree with this. Every Modern I've ever played used a 1.65 nut. Jacksons use 11/16ths (1.6875). It's one of the reasons I think I've never gotten along with any of the Suhrs I've tried. Sounds like this could be a good thing though for the OP.

Think he's referring to a Classic Pro. But that has the same neck width as the modern (1.65"), so moot point on my end

xzacx":2jzdrmrb said:
SavageRiffer":2jzdrmrb said:

Totally disagree with what? How do you know the neck width of my Suhr strat? I said "my Suhr" which, as mentioned, is a Classic Pro. Besides, the nut width doesn't determine how the neck feels in your hands or even necessarily the width of the neck wood. A slight difference can *feel* substantial. It's not like I don't have anything to compare it to, and if you take a look at some of the guitars I've built (link in my sig), then you'll see I have many to compare it to. Also, I've owned 4 Jacksons SL2H and SL1's, so I'm pretty familiar with how Jacksons feel in my hands. I have kind of big hands, so it sounds like the OP has the opposite problem.

SavageRiffer":3l0102ex said:
Totally disagree with what? How do you know the neck width of my Suhr strat? I said "my Suhr" which, as mentioned, is a Classic Pro. Besides, the nut width doesn't determine how the neck feels in your hands or even necessarily the width of the neck wood.

Do you even know what "disagree" means? I didn't say you were wrong. I said in my experience, no Suhr neck I've ever played felt like a Jackson neck. Someone told me that before I bought my first Suhr, and as someone who's been playing Jacksons for over 20 years, I found it not to be the case with that Suhr, or any I've played since. They don't feel the same TO ME.

Sorry, I forgot no one is allowed to have a different opinion than you, without you flying off the rails.

I've never seen a Classic Pro that didn't have a 1.65 - are you suggesting yours is wider?

Also, was this supposed to be a joke? Nut width isn't the only factor in how a neck feels, but it obviously plays a noticeable part for a lot of people.

xzacx":1f9j14x1 said:
SavageRiffer":1f9j14x1 said:
Totally disagree with what? How do you know the neck width of my Suhr strat? I said "my Suhr" which, as mentioned, is a Classic Pro. Besides, the nut width doesn't determine how the neck feels in your hands or even necessarily the width of the neck wood.

Do you even know what "disagree" means? I didn't say you were wrong. I said in my experience, no Suhr neck I've ever played felt like a Jackson neck. Someone told me that before I bought my first Suhr, and as someone who's been playing Jacksons for over 20 years, I found it not to be the case with that Suhr, or any I've played since. They don't feel the same TO ME.

Sorry, I forgot no one is allowed to have a different opinion than you, without you flying off the rails.

I've never seen a Classic Pro that didn't have a 1.65 - are you suggesting yours is wider?

Also, was this supposed to be a joke? Nut width isn't the only factor in how a neck feels, but it obviously plays a noticeable part for a lot of people.

I was just clarifying since you were mistaken about whether I was talking about a Suhr Modern or Classic Pro. Apparently, you are the one flying off of the rails. By the way, I didn't say they felt the same. I said "almost like" which is more in the sense of reminiscent. I also didn't say what the nut measured, only that I'd consider it slightly wider. Like I pointed out also, nut width doesn't mean that neck thicknesses can't vary. I think the problem is that you didn't read thoroughly, but everyone does that from time to time, especially when you're on a mobile phone or something, so don't get bent out of shape dude.

I have a modern satin and it exceeded my expectations when I got it. The neck is very comfy and a bit smaller than I was expecting. I also have a S4 pro series and that neck feels like a baseball bat in comparison. I'm not a big fan of the SSH+ in other guitars but it sounds perfect in my modern satin. Mine has a Floyd and does not go out of tune. Just a great guitar for the money

SavageRiffer":1kng0qau said:
I was just clarifying since you were mistaken about whether I was talking about a Suhr Modern or Classic Pro. Apparently, you are the one flying off of the rails. By the way, I didn't say they felt the same. I said "almost like" which is more in the sense of reminiscent. I also didn't say what the nut measured, only that I'd consider it slightly wider. Like I pointed out also, nut width doesn't mean that neck thicknesses can't vary. I think the problem is that you didn't read thoroughly, but everyone does that from time to time, especially when you're on a mobile phone or something, so don't get bent out of shape dude.

Fair enough, but they have the same nut width - I just mentioned "Modern" since that's what the OP was asking about.

Width and thickness don't necessarily have anything to do with each other, and I didn't say they did. But if you're talking about "width," then they are objectively not the same. Personally, I think that difference is magnified beyond just the nut width too, by the rolled edges of the Suhr vs. the binding you typically find on a Jackson. I find it feels like an even bigger difference to my hands. My only point was that I didn't agree with the comparison, from my experience with each.

I have been looking at the Modern tins as well. Needs to be Hum/Hum for me but I am very interested to hear your thoughts after having it a while. I was looking at these and the new Charvel USA Selects as they are comparable price/feature-wise.

JerEvil":16wl6kcl said:
I have been looking at the Modern tins as well. Needs to be Hum/Hum for me but I am very interested to hear your thoughts after having it a while. I was looking at these and the new Charvel USA Selects as they are comparable price/feature-wise.

Was looking at those USA select charvels, too. Didn't love the Mexi version I played at Sam Ash and found the neck shape to not feel great for me. I played a shit ton of guitars that day and the only neck I liked was the Petrucci JP16, though it was still a little thinner than I'd prefer. Those pickups are so damn aggressive- fun but limited.

I'm going to try and keep my mouth shut for a little while until I fully adjust to the Suhr and get to really know it. I rarely love new guitars right away, then something usually clicks after a week or two (sometimes longer, weird)- and I'll know if its for me or not.

xzacx":2x9017gt said:
SavageRiffer":2x9017gt said:

This. SavageRiffer is talking out of his ass. The necks on these Suhr Modern Satins are not wide at all.....I should know, as I have two of them. Pay no attention to SavageRiffer's comments. The Satins are great guitars.....my favorites actually.

Blackbird":58yxbgsl said:
xzacx":58yxbgsl said:
SavageRiffer":58yxbgsl said:

This. SavageRiffer is talking out of his ass. The necks on these Suhr Modern Satins are not wide at all.....I should know, as I have two of them. Pay no attention to SavageRiffer's comments. The Satins are great guitars.....my favorites actually.
Do they feel "Ibanez" small though As of late I gravitate to slightly beefier necks...

SavageRiffer":2stm50g4 said:
xzacx":2stm50g4 said:
SavageRiffer":2stm50g4 said:

Dude,....you are so full of shit! :jerkit:

JerEvil":3jye4zm3 said:
Blackbird":3jye4zm3 said:
xzacx":3jye4zm3 said:
SavageRiffer":3jye4zm3 said:

Do they feel "Ibanez" small though As of late I gravitate to slightly beefier necks...

They have a thicker neck carve than say an Ibanez Wizard neck....but the Wizard neck is wider. No one would classify the Satin neck as beefy though....just not as thin as an Ibanez.

Blackbird":5arkl2gy said:
JerEvil":5arkl2gy said:
Blackbird":5arkl2gy said:
xzacx":5arkl2gy said:
SavageRiffer":5arkl2gy said:

They have a thicker neck carve than say an Ibanez Wizard neck....but the Wizard neck is wider. No one would classify the Satin neck as beefy though....just not as thin as an Ibanez.
Ok thanks. I have been favoring my G&L USA C shaped neck which I thought was a damn baseball bat when I got it and now even more so the 50's Les Paul neck.

The consensus seems to be narrow and on the smaller side- good things for me. Then again you can never say until you play it. Come on....SATURDAY

Back