Cheap 50 watt heads

oldmtlhed":28kvsie6 said:
Racerxrated":28kvsie6 said:
oldmtlhed":28kvsie6 said:
CRATE Stealth 50.
Killer for metal.
I'll second this. I've had a bunch, between the 50w and 100w both head and combos, and they are actually a 3 channel amp that has a great clean and killer loop. Takes boosts well too. I used to find them CHEAP and flip them on ebay. But I did gig with one once and sounded damn good, price notwithstanding. 75-400 bucks.

Truth. These are great amps, but they like to be cranked to get into the sweet-spot.
Which is why I stopped using mine at home. It's just too loud.
I had the combo version, but I took the chassis out of it, and threw the cab/speaker in the dumpster.
I made a custom head box for it. Black carpet covering, handle on top, rubber feet on the bottom,
aluminum treadplate on the front like a Recto, and a plexiglass window so you can see the tubes.
It has a shelf in the back to store cables and pedals.
It's goofy looking, because it's too big. I should take a picture of it. You guys would laugh.
It's in the closet right now. I want to re-CAP it later down the road. When I am in the mood to
do a project like that.
In the meantime..... KATANA HEAD is incoming! ( Should be here friday. )
Jeff Blando of Vince Neill(sometimes) used to be endorsed by Crate, and used the Stealth. He hordes them..I've sold one or two to him over the years. Nice guy. A friend of mine runs sound out in the Black Hills for the Rally, not sure which campground but Blando gigged with Vince out there one summer, and behind all the JCM 800 stacks were 2 Crate Stealth 100s. Lol

Mark Cameron said on a forum, Vintage amps I think, that the Stealth was Lee Jackson's best circuit...better than the Ampeg VL, Metaltronix, and Lee Jackson M series.

Racerxrated":3sga5lic said:
Mark Cameron said on a forum, Vintage amps I think, that the Stealth was Lee Jackson's best circuit...better than the Ampeg VL, Metaltronix, and Lee Jackson M series.

I can believe it.
It sounds killer when cranked. At low volumes, it loses it's dynamic edge.

The odd thing about the STEALTH is: it has a "gain" knob, and also a "preamp" knob.
I would just dime both of those suckers.
It also has a "presence" knob, which works great to add high-end sizzle to the tone.

I love the sound of my Stealth, but it's too loud for practicing in the house unless you
are by yourself. When you turn it up into the sweet spot, it rattles the whole house
through the walls. I haven't played it in years.
I stopped using it when I got my Roland CUBE-30. The Cube sounded good at very low
volumes, so that's what I use when I feel like making a little noise.
Problem with the Cube is: the on-board effects suck, and with the shared EQ, it's not flexible.
It has no effects-loop either. So it limits what I can do with it.

I went and bought the stealth I'll get an attenuator for the volume now do I want a 212 or a 4x12 for it and what kind of cab? Hmmmmm

BrentSSL":1xledubd said:
I went and bought the stealth I'll get an attenuator for the volume now do I want a 212 or a 4x12 for it and what kind of cab? Hmmmmm
Since it's Marshall-like I would grab a greenback type cab.

Hmmm the vs 100 I for sure need to try I really want a dsl but I need to look at one more closely before I do that

Back