Mastodon is overated

rokket2005":tnmdi07a said:
I liked Leviathan, Blood Mountain, and Crack the Shye when they all came out. A few track from Blood Mountain are all that I would ever think to listen to these days though. If I want to listen to sludgier proggy metal with a lot more beauty in their music I'll listen to The Ocean over Mastodon 10 times out of 10. If you enjoy Mastodon I'd recommend picking up up The Oceans "Pelagial," it's an amazing album. Anthropocentric and Heliocentric to a slightly lesser degree are also great albums.

Last time Mastodon played here they had The Ocean to open, I have to say The Ocean was actually a lot more interesting to see nowadays.

Lifesblood/Remission are still untoppable for me but I can live without the last 2-3 Mastodon records.

I think that the world of popular hard rock is ignored/not promoted for the most part.
Only a few "newer" bands are still making headlines and Mastodon is one of them.

So I wouldn't say they are overrated. I would say media isn't promoting/covering enough new bands. Even at a local level the excitement isn't there. Kids want to go get drunk and dance to Deadmau5e or Empire of the Sun. We are going through a second 1970s where there are only a few power rock bands at our easy access.
There is also a huge lack of originality out there. Mastodon gets points for being unique/individual enough in this cookie cutter, corporate rock world we are living in, so it seems they get more respect from "musician's musican" types who can hear the Yngwie Malmsteen, King Diamond, and AiC type of influence in their work.

I bought their new album and I felt like the first three/four tracks were decent, but I found the rest of the CD to be a bit repetitive. "Show Yourself" was a very wise decision for a single and would have put them all over the map if it were still in the early 2000s.
But here we are: it's 2017, WWIII is about to kick off next year, and Mastodon is playing clubs like the Metro in Chicago.

Meanwhile- this weekend- Megadeth and Scorpions are playing a sold-out stadium show in Chicago this weekend.

Bottom line: there is a generational gap in music taste and talent.

dabhopkins":3ijxxm74 said:
Meanwhile- this weekend- Megadeth and Scorpions are playing a sold-out stadium show in Chicago this weekend.

Bottom line: there is a generational gap in music taste and talent.

Remember that Mastodon came up from the extreme/experimental metal scene, which is a very different case than bands playing mainstream styles since day 1.

For me, Crack the Skye is one of the best records of the last 20 years, having said that, its really the only one I like of theirs and I own all of them.

That is about all I have.

They have some cool tracks, I like them but don't own anything by them but I'm an old 70's-90's guy. I don't know about being overrated...are they even rated?

Starman22":tijqfqea said:
errrrrl":tijqfqea said:
Starman22":tijqfqea said:
The riffs slay

That main riff is pretty cool.. was that from an older album or newer?

Older, but all the albums are good. They are a nice mix of stoner, metal, space and sludge, and the drummer is f'n unreal.

That's definitely not from an older album haha

There are 3 versions of Mastodon.
-First couple albums. Heavy stuff, with pretty much nothing but harsh vocals
-Middle albums. Way more prog oriented. Still heavy, but a different feel. Clean vocals mixed with the harsh.
-New albums. Way more pop oriented. Still bring some prog stuff, occasional heavy with harsh vocals.

The middle releases and the songs in that style on the newer albums are their best stuff. Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye are great albums. Also the Ocean is awesome, but I never really thought of them as being in the same vein as Mastodon.

Heavier

Proggier

Shawn Lutz":gy8c20t6 said:
They have some cool tracks, I like them but don't own anything by them but I'm an old 70's-90's guy. I don't know about being overrated...are they even rated?

Funny you should say that.

I kind of see Mastodon as a mix of 70's (like Sabbath meets Rush) and 90's (STP meets Sleep) maybe?

Their shit is so complicated and yet simple at the same time. LOL Original for sure.

The above poster kind of explains their transformation well. I know guys that live for the older Mastodon and don't care for the newer Pop'ier stuff and I know people that are the exact opposite. I guess I'm more in the newer camp as the original stuff was a bit taxing on my ears.

I really really like the new album. Good mix of all the aspects of rock and metal that I like (outside of Slipknot and 311 and KSE and shit like that) :D

Not a fan. I've seen them numerous times on various tours, have friends that adore them, but they leave me flat. The drummer is very creative, but that is about it. To me, it's like they heard Death "the sound of perseverance" and said, fuck yeah, let's do that! But they forgot that they aren't Chuck and Chuck is dead.

Starman22":jq2r0yjm said:
Reality: it doesn't matter what anyone on RT thinks they are one of the top touring acts right now each member has sponsorships from top gear manufacturers and signature gear and millions of fans.

Reality: I’ve never heard of them outside of Rig-Talk. :LOL: :LOL:

Starman22":1stjtr5h said:
Reality: it doesn't matter what anyone on RT thinks they are one of the top touring acts right now each member has sponsorships from top gear manufacturers and signature gear and millions of fans.
Sheep tend to follow, and congregate...

D-Rock":2nm50lge said:
Starman22":2nm50lge said:
Sheep tend to follow, and congregate...

Sadly that would seem to apply to the R/T George Lynch crowd.

I LOVE mastodon but i understand it wont be for everyone and that's cool. I cant wait to see them at the house of blues next month though :thumbsup:

Back