Mastodon is overated

Agree to disagree. I think they are criminally underrated. Then again what they do suits my tastes. I wouldnt call myself a metal guy relative to many here. I would call myself a mastodon guy though. Great blend of proficiency, belligerency and humility.

Yeah they were like Pink Floyd for me. Hated them til I didn't. Pretty much nothing from them I DON'T like. I prefer the post-Leviathan stuff though.

I haven't heard one of their songs ever. See lot of talk on them.
Yeah. I live under a rock. :LOL: :LOL:
Just never listen to the radio.

Mailman1971":2ed6m19f said:
iTunes or Spotify man. I haven't turned on a radio in over a decade I don't think.

Not a fan of modern metal, but they're not bad. The bassist looks like he's taking a hard shit when he sings though.

I think Crack the Skye is one of the best albums of the past 10-20 years in any genre. Not a huge fan of their vocals, but they work. I think their drummer is their best singer.

I've never heard them on the radio, nor would I expect to, particularly in Chicago which doesn't even really have a heavy station to begin with. Mastodon's songs are too long for radio, generally.

They're a prog-metal band. Rush, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, and Earl Scruggs are their grandparents. Never seen bluegrass technique and ideas used in metal before, but they make it sound awesome.

Why do you say they're overrated? By who?

I'm almost offended. I say that jokingly but really I am thankful that they exist. How many bands are left that you can think that are putting out great rock music that is unique, creative, dynamic, and interesting? It's not like we have a plethora of modern rock bands to choose from. I feel like they're keeping an old flame alive.

I can't think of a more creative and proficient rock band that is currently in the business right now. Their recorded tones are never that great but the riffs...my god the riffs.....

Drummer is a savage, as well. I will tell you this though - they couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

OP, what modern bands do you dig that aren't overrated?

Mailman, not sure you'd hear any of their songs if you did turn on a radio.

Bxlxaxkxe":1tsf5z2q said:
Why do you say they're overrated? By who?

I'm almost offended. I say that jokingly but really I am thankful that they exist. How many bands are left that you can think that are putting out great rock music that is unique, creative, dynamic, and interesting? It's not like we have a plethora of modern rock bands to choose from. I feel like they're keeping an old flame alive.

I can't think of a more creative and proficient rock band that is currently in the business right now. Their recorded tones are never that great but the riffs...my god the riffs.....

Drummer is a savage, as well. I will tell you this though - they couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

OP, what modern bands do you dig that aren't overrated?

Mailman, not sure you'd hear any of their songs if you did turn on a radio.

Agree on all points.
They absolutely slay. Saw them live a few months ago and it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. The drummer is ridiculous. Vocals were killer. Bill K. Is a Riff master. Hinds can rip. Friedman tones were crushing and musical.
Talk about a band firing on all cylinders.
When someone says something like the original post I just figure they don't really listen.

I had never heard of them until I saw them at a festival on the Leviathan tour. I thought their performance that show was awesome so I got into them at that time. I have a preference for that album and Crack the Skye, after that wasn't terribly into them, though really like latest release.

Won't hear them on standard radio.

They have a very unique tone and approach. 2 play guitar and 3 can sing. Not bad. I'm on a super Mastodon high right now.

They kind of remind me of some kind of cross between Black Sabbath/Ozzy - Rush - Pink Floyd - and someone else. Not sure. Help me out here...

Mailman1971":18vly064 said:

I haven't heard of them outside of RT.

Dave - before everyone chimes in with their favorite album I will just leave you with this.

If you don't like rock OR metal I can see it may not be for some, but this song along with a lot of others actually puts goosebumps on my arms.

Like most (or at least me) if you just dive into one of their albums out of the blue with no reference it is a little hard to digest at first. I will admit. Go slow. :D

psychodave":1557avsr said:
Mailman1971":1557avsr said:

I haven't heard of them outside of RT.

Crawl out from under that rock you live under.
They're big.

They're not really my thing, but no way are they overrated. They've totally got they're own thing going on, and they do it extremely well.

I'm not a fan, but I think part of that just had to do with my expectations. Based on their name, I thought I was in for something so heavy. But when then those vocals kick in they are just unbearable to me.

Back