Wait a Minute... What About The Friedman JJ?

Oddly enough, it's not the GAIN of the Slax that's got me excited, but the clear/clean grittiness I've heard from several clips of the first channel that has me kinda salivating.

And if it can get anywhere NEAR the thickness and brutality of my Rev.2s, then I will be, 100% hands down impressed. Period.

But this is all speculative at this point. I've heard the Slax is nothing more than a souped up gain monster that's only good for palm-muted ham fisters. I've heard the Slax is by far the best, meanest and most versatile amp out of the Friedman camp. When I read and see (and hear) such opposing reviews on a particular piece of gear, it does indeed pique my curiosity that much more.

Ventura":1te8g69s said:
But this is all speculative at this point. I've heard the Slax is nothing more than a souped up gain monster that's only good for palm-muted ham fisters. I've heard the Slax is by far the best, meanest and most versatile amp out of the Friedman camp. When I read and see (and hear) such opposing reviews on a particular piece of gear, it does indeed pique my curiosity that much more.

I think you are taking a short ride on the HYPE TRAIN.
It probably won't live up to expectations. And for the price.... it should clean your house, and make you breakfast in the morning.

:LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":t094wsn0 said:
Oddly enough, it's not the GAIN of the Slax that's got me excited, but the clear/clean grittiness I've heard from several clips of the first channel that has me kinda salivating.

And if it can get anywhere NEAR the thickness and brutality of my Rev.2s, then I will be, 100% hands down impressed. Period.

Circuit-wise channel 1 on the Slax is basically a Friedman clean with diode clipping like the BE Sat switch on all the time. Channel 2 on the Slax is very similar to the BE channel on the JJ, channel 3 is basically that channel plus an extra gain stage like the HBE. You can draw your expectations from there if you've played the JJ and BE, the other changes are some minor things in the power amp.

technomancer":3q0ed60m said:
Ventura":3q0ed60m said:

And if it can get anywhere NEAR the thickness and brutality of my <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">Rev.2s</span>, then I will be, 100% hands down impressed. Period.

Circuit-wise channel 1 on the Slax is basically a Friedman clean with diode clipping like the BE Sat switch on all the time. Channel 2 on the Slax is very similar to the BE channel on the JJ, channel 3 is basically that channel plus an extra gain stage like the HBE. You can draw your expectations from there if you've played the JJ and BE, the other changes are some minor things in the power amp.
Ya, I've heard mixed reviews on this - particularly from those who've owned both and Friedman himself. Of course he's not going to say or infer anything that doesn't promote more sales - obviously. But the clean of the Slax that I'm hearing is deliciously dirty...just a touch. Like a fine woman in social situations but who has that look she can throw that'll make ya grow a big rubbery one. Refined to look at, but underneath, you know there's some fun to be had :yes:

The other 2 channels I've heard - from sources I completely rely on - are just totally different in feel and tone. This I look forward to. We'll see. If I can distill my summaries down to "well, this channel is similar to this, and that channel is similar to that" it'll be a bit anti-climactic. But if I can sit in front of the thing and dribble a bit of manstarch knowing what I'm hearing is gold, I'll be happy.

Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

oldmtlhed":3q0ed60m said:
Ventura":3q0ed60m said:

I think you are taking a short ride on the HYPE TRAIN.
It probably won't live up to expectations. And for the price.... it should clean your house, and make you breakfast in the morning.

:LOL: :LOL:
Nah man, I've got these departments well covered. If it allows my jaw to hit the floor or make it half-way there in the tonal nirvana department, I'll suck up the costs of doing business and say "thank you, time to play". If it doesn't impress - there'll be a brand new amp in the classifieds for sale... Simple.

But having done my R&D, I don't think this is going to get flipped too quick if at all. There are JUST enough differences to want both - similar to my love of the Hagen and the VH4. Very similar amps - but vastly different feeling. Gotta keep both. Sisters!! I like sisters!!!! :yes:

As for the HYPE TRAIN, I can tell you this much, it was with GREAT expectation that I watched the Bill Kelliher demo of the Slax; and then a couple others that oozed out of Planet YouTube. All of them left me unimpressed. In fact, I can't even say I watched any of the demos from front to back - sounded like a muffled bee hive and just these incomprehensible palm muted shit riffs (no offence to those making the vids, to be noted). But when Reza and Jeremy posted excellent high quality vids, and a variety of playing styles through the variety of channels, it was the NUANCES that brought me 180 in my thinking. I could hear bloom, I could hear note definition and clarity, I could hear the *strings* as the fingers shifted along the neck... These are things I try to ascertain in "demo vids", if I can isolate these characteristics, as I know no matter what a clip or a demo is only as good as the delivery mechanisms in the chain; I focus solely on these characteristics. Because it's those nuances that give me a glimpse into the world of what the amp could be like "in the room".

And since the "BUY BUTTON" was hit, I've tried - seriously, I have tried - to like Mastodon... But I can't. I just can't get into them. Period. No disrespect - they've obviously got a mega following and that's great (also stoked to read Kelliher is a sober man now too!! Another winner!!) - but their music just does nothing for me. So....let me see what music I can make from this machine. Therein lies the mystery AND the romance :D

Ventura":rmecq5a1 said:
Nah man, I've got these departments well covered. If it allows my jaw to hit the floor or make it half-way there in the tonal nirvana department, I'll suck up the costs of doing business and say "thank you, time to play". If it doesn't impress - there'll be a brand new amp in the classifieds for sale... Simple.

But having done my R&D, I don't think this is going to get flipped too quick if at all. There are JUST enough differences to want both - similar to my love of the Hagen and the VH4. Very similar amps - but vastly different feeling. Gotta keep both. Sisters!! I like sisters!!!! :yes:

As for the HYPE TRAIN, I can tell you this much, it was with GREAT expectation that I watched the Bill Kelliher demo of the Slax; and then a couple others that oozed out of Planet YouTube. All of them left me unimpressed. In fact, I can't even say I watched any of the demos from front to back - sounded like a muffled bee hive and just these incomprehensible palm muted shit riffs (no offence to those making the vids, to be noted). But when Reza and Jeremy posted excellent high quality vids, and a variety of playing styles through the variety of channels, it was the NUANCES that brought me 180 in my thinking. I could hear bloom, I could hear note definition and clarity, I could hear the *strings* as the fingers shifted along the neck... These are things I try to ascertain in "demo vids", if I can isolate these characteristics, as I know no matter what a clip or a demo is only as good as the delivery mechanisms in the chain; I focus solely on these characteristics. Because it's those nuances that give me a glimpse into the world of what the amp could be like "in the room".

And since the "BUY BUTTON" was hit, I've tried - seriously, I have tried - to like Mastodon... But I can't. I just can't get into them. Period. No disrespect - they've obviously got a mega following and that's great (also stoked to read Kelliher is a sober man now too!! Another winner!!) - but their music just does nothing for me. So....let me see what music I can make from this machine. Therein lies the mystery AND the romance

You and I have some things in common. We both approach "review videos" the same way.
We both do not like Mastodon. We both appreciate the finer things in life.
But where the similarities end is... the amount of MONEY we are willing to spend on certain things.
I'll drop $12,000 on a motorcycle. But NEVER anywhere close to that on guitar gear.
I get more enjoyment out of riding motorcycles. So it's worth it to me. The "geetar" is just something to screw around
with when I am totally bored. Years ago, I wanted to invest in good gear, and try to get in a band. But I have no talent, and
it was never going to happen. So I went on to other things in my life.
I have always had a guitar, and I will always pick it up and fool around with it from time to time. But that is all it will ever be.
So for me to drop mega-money on high-end gear is really foolish. That's why I talk shit about it.
I only do it to tease you, but deep down inside... I do it to remind myself not to go down that rabbit hole again. There is no point.
:student:
For me, getting the KATANA head is like YOU getting a JJ100 and the SLAX.
Same process. Same feelings. The only difference is... the pile of money.

Ventura":20vm543n said:
I've heard the Slax is nothing more than a souped up gain monster that's only good for palm-muted ham fisters.

You rang?

0fuAsPa.jpg

SavageRiffer":v1443fk5 said:
Ventura":v1443fk5 said:

OK dude, it's Wednesday. What is the initial verdict on the Butterslax vs JJ?
Just busted into the Slax an hour ago... I'll need the night. There ain't no "this one is better than that one" game here. I'm going in with an open mind as to both being different animals. So far they're vastly different in tone and EQ breadth. Touch is there. Loving the channels but as I am the way I am - I'm going methodically through each channel to get a sense of where it starts and where it end. I've got a couple days worth of playing here Folks, then I'll come around with a write up on the JJ and the Slax and how they may compare.

So far though?? It's a different amp from the JJ, but a very very good amp - extremely good amp.

oldmtlhed":v1443fk5 said:
SEE... I don't got no JJ or SLAX.... but I do gots one of THESE:
:thumbsup:

kC9hb3pl.jpg

( It makes noise too! ) :LOL: :LOL:
I'm a full Akrapovic Ducati maniac (former JIF tracker, ZX10R decked to the nines, carbon body, Akras, Ohlins, etc.). I get it. Like sisters, I'm working between the 1299 and the 899 Panigales.... You and I do have similarities - it's all good... We still need to get our business off the ground too!! 1-800-GAS-GONE... From one survivor to another - we can get through the sonic spending hell together!!

errrrrl":v1443fk5 said:
Ventura":v1443fk5 said:
I've heard the Slax is nothing more than a souped up gain monster that's only good for palm-muted ham fisters.

You rang?

span>
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :yes: :thumbsup: :rock:

That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

PALM MUTING HAM FISTERS UNITE!!!!!!

Ventura":bdoc6mi8 said:
SavageRiffer":bdoc6mi8 said:

OK dude, it's Wednesday. What is the initial verdict on the Butterslax vs JJ?
Just busted into the Slax an hour ago... I'll need the night. There ain't no "this one is better than that one" game here. I'm going in with an open mind as to both being different animals. So far they're vastly different in tone and EQ breadth. Touch is there. Loving the channels but as I am the way I am - I'm going methodically through each channel to get a sense of where it starts and where it end. I've got a couple days worth of playing here Folks, then I'll come around with a write up on the JJ and the Slax and how they may compare.

So far though?? It's a different amp from the JJ, but a very very good amp - extremely good amp.

oldmtlhed":bdoc6mi8 said:
SEE... I don't got no JJ or SLAX.... but I do gots one of THESE:

kC9hb3pl.jpg

( It makes noise too! ) :LOL: :LOL:
I'm a full Akrapovic Ducati maniac (former JIF tracker, ZX10R decked to the nines, carbon body, Akras, Ohlins, etc.). I get it. Like sisters, I'm working between the 1299 and the 899 Panigales.... You and I do have similarities - it's all good... We still need to get our business off the ground too!! 1-800-GAS-GONE... From one survivor to another - we can get through the sonic spending hell together!!

errrrrl":bdoc6mi8 said:

You rang?

span>
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :yes: :thumbsup: :rock:

That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

PALM MUTING HAM FISTERS UNITE!!!!!!

Good to hear about the feel. Friedman amps have a great feel to them, very accurate and touch sensitive, but not too loose or greasy. Looking forward to a rundown on the Butterslax. Other people have reviewed the Butterslax, but since we share an appreciation for the JJ, I want to hear what you think about the Butterslax. Not one better than the other, just the contrast. I imagine it's more percussive on initial impression?

Ventura":3sj9ip0n said:
I'm a full Akrapovic Ducati maniac (former JIF tracker, ZX10R decked to the nines, carbon body, Akras, Ohlins, etc.). I get it. Like sisters, I'm working between the 1299 and the 899 Panigales.... You and I do have similarities

I'm not surprised you like DUCATI.
You see they are done with the L-Twin engines. They are moving to the Desmo Stradale V4 for next year!
( Going the "Aprilia" route! )

oldmtlhed":1ofpwpyr said:
Ventura":1ofpwpyr said:
I'm a full Akrapovic Ducati maniac (former JIF tracker, ZX10R decked to the nines, carbon body, Akras, Ohlins, etc.). I get it. Like sisters, I'm working between the 1299 and the 899 Panigales.... You and I do have similarities

I'm not surprised you like DUCATI.
You see they are done with the L-Twin engines. They are moving to the Desmo Stradale V4 for next year!
( Going the "Aprilia" route! )

Sadly ya, I'm a fan of the older Desmos man - you can hear those a mile away and the torque is just surreal... But remember, this isn't high class snobbery, I managed to work through a number of JIFs to get them where they needed to be, and believe me, at 186rwhp, 0-60mph in 2.15/2.2 seconds, the ZX10R was just ridiculously fast... Got her up to 314kmh (195mph) on the highway one day, she was so steady I could have poured a cup of tea on the tank...she loved going fast, everything worked at "high velocity" with that machine, but it dawned on me during that stretch of road (Delta flats south of Vancouver) that "should anything go wrong, I'd be atomized...there'd be nothing but spray at this speed...interesting". And from there I tamed it down (not to mention a slow speed highside that knocked me out for well over 20min....roadside - gone - toast - came to with ambulances and cops - literally, going 40kmh (25mph) around a corner, hit some gravel or whatnot, and BOOM, slingshot head to ground when the rubber got its teeth back...). Since having kids I've mellowed out. It's the responsible thing to do.

SavageRiffer":1ofpwpyr said:
Good to hear about the feel. Friedman amps have a great feel to them, very accurate and touch sensitive, but not too loose or greasy. Looking forward to a rundown on the Butterslax. Other people have reviewed the Butterslax, but since we share an appreciation for the JJ, I want to hear what you think about the Butterslax. Not one better than the other, just the contrast. I imagine it's more percussive on initial impression?
Yep, from what I could glean tonight - the "magic touch" is there - its in the amp, or, in my take on it - it _is_ the amp... Now, I've yet to venture into the more stretched regions of this amp's palette, but I will state I fkn LOVE the grittiness I can get from the clean (not really clean, but it does clean up with the control on the ax), it's juicy and rich, SO full, and that channel gets mean too. It ain't some "clean" only channel. Ch.2 is beautiful - it can drip tones and sustain and get "greasy" by hand, but the nature of the amp seems to want to get instructions from your hands - this is something that I suppose I should have mentioned drew me to the JJ right off the bat, and the Slax has it too - you want greasy? You can make it happen, but it's got this "thud" to the heavier chord hits. Thud without lack of definition. More R&D needed. Ch.3 is monstrous and I'm not even sure putting it the same sentence as the ever revered Rev.2 is plausible at this point. I think it's a very dangerous channel for small animals, children, and the elderly most certainly. MUCH more R&D needed not only on Ch.3, but on the whole amp. It's big - as in - LOTS of flavour... I am super pleased it's not just a [palm muted ham fisting] chugga machine, but oh yes, it'll crush in that department - no doubt.

But let me get back to it and this weekend I am freeing up my schedule to just have the two - side by side - played through the SAME cab (yet to be determined, but it'll either be an UberKab, a Bogner 412 V3, or a Friedman Vintage 412 V30/Greenback) - I'll know more as I play with this amp, currently through the Uberkab, and I clock some more time on it.

Stand outs are touch sensitivity, beautiful tones that even when mean and nasty and heavy as hell, still hold musicality; all channels are unique for sure; love the breadth of the EQ; build quality is dope - period; but it's almost as though, kinda like the JJ, you want it to go somewhere and it's already waiting for you right where you wanted it to go; just with more teeth and aggression than the JJ.

Don't take any of this as fact just yet - I need more time. Is it a winner? Thus far 100% yes. Am I pleased with what it offers having already got a JJ in the stable? Surprisingly YES! Is it a different animal to the JJ? Absolutely. Which am I compelled more to play? No answer for that tonight... More time is needed with both. But it is one HELL of an amp - guaranteed. It's wild.

I think that's it right there.... "wild". Let me sleep on that last statement and get back with more details when I have them - but wild is definitely a word that just came to mind and it suits my thoughts, at this time, succinctly.

G'nite Folks!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Congrats Mo...sounds like you have a sweet one there.
Very exciting. Looking forward to your sharing.

Rock on :rock:

Honestly, from your detailed description... it sounds like I would prefer the SLAX over the JJ.
Because I like high-gain tone that just rips your face off. Squeely harmonics that jump off the fretboard.
You used the term "wild". That's exactly what I like. Aggressive. Brutal. Yet still retains sweet musical tone.
This is what you pay the big bucks for. Getting all this in one package is NOT easy or cheap to create.

Gratz on the purchase. I would say you scored a winner.
NOW.... time to sell that JJ100 you won't be needing anymore!
:D

oldmtlhed":a8g1zm3u said:
Gratz on the purchase. I would say you scored a winner.
NOW.... time to sell that JJ100 you won't be needing anymore!
:D
Not so fast. The JJ still "fits" perfectly within my ears and brain when it comes time to plug in and "GO!!!". It's just a natural. Like I've known it for years. It's comfortable and feels like "home" even though it's a brand new amp... I went to bed last night thinking about my playing, the Slax, the JJ, guitars, life, effects, DAWs, new tunes (working on a new tune that's pretty cool, hoping to get my Soundcloud account back up and running with some fresh material). I'll say this as it kinda came to me last night....

"Bogner and Friedman aren't just living in the same neighbourhood, but likely on the same street. It's a longer street than typical, but it's the same street nonetheless. As for the JJ100 and the Slax, they *might* be neighbours, or at best a few doors down from one another, and they do party under the same roof on weekends for sure, but they'd not be the best roomies living together under the same roof for good."

I walked away knowing this:
Bogners and Friedman are similar. Bogner is more refined. Friedman more raw. Both are brilliant.

More to follow on the JJ100 and the Butterslax as they compare to each other. This weekend will be a doozy weekend of logging several high-volume hours, just FYI. Stay tuned.

GtarLover":3jwmtmwe said:

Good stuff man. One thing I was wondering about was the low end. It sounds like it has plenty of low end punch, so that's great. How is the distortion? It sounds edgier than the JJ. The JJ sounds a bit rounder or less crisp, but not dark or anything. Shit, no matter how good people make the Butterslax sound, it just makes me gas for a JJ even more.

SavageRiffer":361wu6hl said:
GtarLover":361wu6hl said:

Good stuff man. One thing I was wondering about was the low end. It sounds like it has plenty of low end punch, so that's great. How is the distortion? It sounds edgier than the JJ. The JJ sounds a bit rounder or less crisp, but not dark or anything. Shit, no matter how good people make the Butterslax sound, it just makes me gas for a JJ even more.
At this time, finding the words is an impossibility - you kinda have to hear it and FEEL it for yourself. Don't kid yourself, the JJ is a darker amp tonally speaking, but it's chewy and juicy. But it gets a real snarl to its playing - it's Jerry Fucking Cantrell in a box man!! Simple. The Slax - I have no idea if it's Mastodon in a box or Kelliher or what because I can't really find the patience to listen to either of 'em - Kelliher or Mastodon. But the amp itself is a bit more wild - it's got GOBS of low end which is great when playing on your own - but useless in a band setup (mostly useless anyway). Low end low end low end low end, it has its place live at times, but fuck it for recording and the like - it's a room filler, so let's scratch that as a criteria but YES the Slax delivers punishing low end (but so does the JJ!!).

Both offer great gain. The Slax is more gainier than the JJ, the JJ stays more percussive, the Slax relies on its heaviness to define its percussiveness.

I can't type more on this as I need more time before I accidentally say something inaccurate or that could be misconstrued.

They're both outrageously awesome amps. I'll leave it at that for now. After the weekend I'll know where each one sits in the scope of toonage.

Ventura":3mb1h3i4 said:
SavageRiffer":3mb1h3i4 said:
GtarLover":3mb1h3i4 said:

At this time, finding the words is an impossibility - you kinda have to hear it and FEEL it for yourself. Don't kid yourself, the JJ is a darker amp tonally speaking, but it's chewy and juicy. But it gets a real snarl to its playing - it's Jerry Fucking Cantrell in a box man!! Simple. The Slax - I have no idea if it's Mastodon in a box or Kelliher or what because I can't really find the patience to listen to either of 'em - Kelliher or Mastodon. But the amp itself is a bit more wild - it's got GOBS of low end which is great when playing on your own - but useless in a band setup (mostly useless anyway). Low end low end low end low end, it has its place live at times, but fuck it for recording and the like - it's a room filler, so let's scratch that as a criteria but YES the Slax delivers punishing low end (but so does the JJ!!).

Both offer great gain. The Slax is more gainier than the JJ, the JJ stays more percussive, the Slax relies on its heaviness to define its percussiveness.

I can't type more on this as I need more time before I accidentally say something inaccurate or that could be misconstrued.

They're both outrageously awesome amps. I'll leave it at that for now. After the weekend I'll know where each one sits in the scope of toonage.

I will wait until Monday for your verdict but what you have said so far is NOT helping me decide which amp I want to commit to! LOL!

JerEvil":1srpuhz9 said:
I will wait until Monday for your verdict but what you have said so far is NOT helping me decide which amp I want to commit to! LOL!
Job done!!

My goal was to not offer ANYTHING to ANYONE relying on my opinion to make THEIR decision. I'll have ample feedback for you over the weekend for sure - but right now?? Way too premature to say a damn thing.

I will say - given either one of these amps - you'd not be upset or disappointed; but I will also say - given either one of these amps - you'd always have a "burning desire" to know what the other one could do :D

Ventura":199xk7mu said:
JerEvil":199xk7mu said:
Job done!!

My goal was to not offer ANYTHING to ANYONE relying on my opinion to make THEIR decision. I'll have ample feedback for you over the weekend for sure - but right now?? Way too premature to say a damn thing.

I will say - given either one of these amps - you'd not be upset or disappointed; but I will also say - given either one of these amps - you'd always have a "burning desire" to know what the other one could do :D
LOL! Well I just posted vid of my first time playing a BE-100. Killer amp. The Slax is definitely more aggro but the BE sure as heck can hang. I had a tone I loved dialed in in seconds.

Back