Wait a Minute... What About The Friedman JJ?

SavageRiffer

Banned
I've owned or at least played more than once every Friedman except the Phil X and Buxom Betty, and I STILL think the JJ is their best amp. I love the BE100, don't get me wrong, but the JJ is just a tad bit better overall. So what's the consensus here? Lots of BE talk lately, but crickets chirping on the JJ. Why?

So far I've owned the JJ , BE100 , and had a Naked a while back. I like the JJ a lot , it's so plug and play where it's hard to dial in a bad tone. It has a nice balance of aggression while retaining a smooth high-end.

The BE100 I had was actually too smooth for me , bass was a little too round and bouncy didn't have the attack of the JJ. Although I hear the newer ones can get more raw and aggressive .

The Naked was a beast , in comparison to the JJ it had a dryer voicing , but a very powerful and punchy lowend. Was a cool amp but not as versatile .

the4thlast1":3vgclw1e said:
So far I've owned the JJ , BE100 , and had a Naked a while back. I like the JJ a lot , it's so plug and play where it's hard to dial in a bad tone. It has a nice balance of aggression while retaining a smooth high-end.

The BE100 I had was actually too smooth for me , bass was a little too round and bouncy didn't have the attack of the JJ. Although I hear the newer ones can get more raw and aggressive .

The Naked was a beast , in comparison to the JJ it had a dryer voicing , but a very powerful and punchy lowend. Was a cool amp but not as versatile .

The Steve Stevens is also badass, and I like it slightly more than the BE personally, but I think the JJ still edges it out a tiny bit. Have you tried that one? I have yet to play the Butterslax also.

The new 2017 Be100 has more attack and more cut vs the previous versions. Best be100 to date.

SavageRiffer":53ci1gjx said:
the4thlast1":53ci1gjx said:

The Steve Stevens is also badass, and I like it slightly more than the BE personally, but I think the JJ still edges it out a tiny bit. Have you tried that one? I have yet to play the Butterslax also.

I have not tried the Steve Stevens, Butterslax or PhilX.

Would like to try them all , a newest version BE100 would be nice too. :D If I could have Friedman build me a custom amp I would ask for a voicing that has a mixture of both the JJ and the Naked on the gain channel ...

Spent some time last Saturday with my buddy at the local shop testing different tubes for his JJ and dual rec. My job was to just play the same riffs over and over between tube swaps and really listen for differences while he was dialing in the amps.

The JJ is an awesome sounding amp and the stock tubes that come with it were the best. But for me personally the Butterslax is best suited for what I like, mainly talking about channel 3. Its not too far from a JJ but there is a noticeable difference especially with that Thump knob. Before work today was cranking channel 1 with the gain up and getting great AC/DC-ish tones, pretty bad ass for a clean channel. Bottom line you can't go wrong with a Friedman amp but definitely pick the one that best suites your overall style of playing. I wish I could get one of each ;)

I don't particularly like either, but I also prefer the JJ to the BE. I like the Small Box better than both of them though.

Um... :confused:

I bought a JJ100 with the added MV, bear in mind I come from the Bogner and Diezel camps (respect!). Always loved Cantrell's tones - and have a host of "Cantrell like" heads and effects and pre's and so forth. But the JJ came out when I was living abroad... I came back and just a couple weeks ago got my hands on one from Stevie K. It felt like "home" immediately. I think it was under 2 minutes of knob twisting to get it to where I stepped back 15ft to my sofa and just played for HOURS using the footswitch now and then to change it up, and the controls on my guitar. What has blown me AWAY with this amp is its nuances - the devil in the details - the *feel*. By no means is this a better than/worse than Bogner, Diezel, Mako, Fryette, TwoRocks, Cornford, Soldano yada yada yada argument - it's just a factual statement. The immediacy of its touch response and sensitivity, the overtones, the bloom, the articulation, I was gobsmacked (oddly enough I've never written that word before - least to the best of my recollection, and am not even 100% sure it means what I'm intending it to mean, but basically the amp fucking laid me OUT with HOLYSHITNESS!!! in a good way)

So my buds say "oh you like that JJ eh?? You oughta try the Butterslax - it's even "more" than the JJ....". Kinda hard to worry about lookin' at other women when you're dating two Swedish model sisters, but you know, it can happen.

So I ordered the Butterslax as well and it oughta be here by the weekend. I watched the Kelliher demo and it left me empty - just 'meh'. Then Reza threw down some blistering demos, and this piqued my curiosity. Then JerEvil (Dunkys'n'Demos) did a few run-throughs and this was the absolute clincher for me. I will forever be happy with the JJ - absolutely hands down 100% fucking AMPED about this head and cab - period. But according to "friends in the know", "Hey Mo, you want a little more low end and some heft and some heavier "heavy", go with the Slax..." so I did.

But the JJ100 was my intro to Friedman - and it is by far the first amp I've ever plugged into and felt immediately "at home" with. Just like picking up a magic Lester, it feels like home. Now this is not to say it takes away from my immense happiness with all the Bogners and Diezels and hosts of other amps I've played, kept, had, sold, moved, re-purchased, re-sold, etc. I'm just saying, there's magic in that headshell, and it comes out in ways I wasn't expecting - namely - "feel" and dynamics. The tone is all win, and requires no mention here. It's "my" tone - period.

So - ya, the JJ is my money shot. Suppose we'll see what the Slax offers.
Dirty Shirley is appealing too - who knows?? As it's been called before - the Friedman "rabbit-hole".
I like holes. And tend to act like a rabbit around certain types of holes. So there's something to this I am sure :student:

:hys:

Ventura":20jlbywn said:

See... you found your perfect tone. The JJ is it.
And you go and order a SLAX. You don't need a SLAX, when you already found "your perfect tone"!

You have too much money laying around you don't know what to do with?
Here's an idea: buy ME a JJ! I would like to have perfect tone too!
:D

I had a Friedman Marsha with the old JBE voicing... That is THE tone all over the Black Gives Way to Blue CD. Haven't tried a JJ yet.

Ventura":3nx3hygz said:

I bought a JJ100 with the added MV, bear in mind I come from the Bogner and Diezel camps (respect!). Always loved Cantrell's tones - and have a host of "Cantrell like" heads and effects and pre's and so forth. But the JJ came out when I was living abroad... I came back and just a couple weeks ago got my hands on one from Stevie K. It felt like "home" immediately. I think it was under 2 minutes of knob twisting to get it to where I stepped back 15ft to my sofa and just played for HOURS using the footswitch now and then to change it up, and the controls on my guitar. What has blown me AWAY with this amp is its nuances - the devil in the details - the *feel*. By no means is this a better than/worse than Bogner, Diezel, Mako, Fryette, TwoRocks, Cornford, Soldano yada yada yada argument - it's just a factual statement. The immediacy of its touch response and sensitivity, the overtones, the bloom, the articulation, I was gobsmacked (oddly enough I've never written that word before - least to the best of my recollection, and am not even 100% sure it means what I'm intending it to mean, but basically the amp fucking laid me OUT with HOLYSHITNESS!!! in a good way)

So my buds say "oh you like that JJ eh?? You oughta try the Butterslax - it's even "more" than the JJ....". Kinda hard to worry about lookin' at other women when you're dating two Swedish model sisters, but you know, it can happen.

So I ordered the Butterslax as well and it oughta be here by the weekend. I watched the Kelliher demo and it left me empty - just 'meh'. Then Reza threw down some blistering demos, and this piqued my curiosity. Then JerEvil (Dunkys'n'Demos) did a few run-throughs and this was the absolute clincher for me. I will forever be happy with the JJ - absolutely hands down 100% fucking AMPED about this head and cab - period. But according to "friends in the know", "Hey Mo, you want a little more low end and some heft and some heavier "heavy", go with the Slax..." so I did.

But the JJ100 was my intro to Friedman - and it is by far the first amp I've ever plugged into and felt immediately "at home" with. Just like picking up a magic Lester, it feels like home. Now this is not to say it takes away from my immense happiness with all the Bogners and Diezels and hosts of other amps I've played, kept, had, sold, moved, re-purchased, re-sold, etc. I'm just saying, there's magic in that headshell, and it comes out in ways I wasn't expecting - namely - "feel" and dynamics. The tone is all win, and requires no mention here. It's "my" tone - period.

Dirty Shirley is appealing too - who knows?? As it's been called before - the Friedman "rabbit-hole".
I like holes. And tend to act like a rabbit around certain types of holes. So there's something to this I am sure :student:

I'd like to hear a follow-up on what you think about the Butterslax. It sounds great in a couple of demos like Reza's, but also doesn't sound as warm as the other Friedmans.

Ventura":3054d860 said:

Glad you dug the vids man! But you already know I appreciate you! LOL!

I REALLY need to try the JJ. I know I will at NAMM but would like to beforehand if possible. The Slax is probably one of, if not THE most amazing amp I have ever played. Really interested to hear your thoughts when you have spent some time with it. I only own the Dirty Shirley 40 but WILL be buying another Friedman in the near future. Will likely off my Splawn and MAYBE my Sig: X and grab either the Slax or JJ... and one more! LOL!

Shhhhh... don't tell oldmtlhed... :LOL: :LOL:

oldmtlhed":3054d860 said:
Ventura":3054d860 said:

See... you found your perfect tone. The JJ is it.
And you go and order a SLAX. You don't need a SLAX, when you already found "your perfect tone"!

You have too much money laying around you don't know what to do with?
Here's an idea: buy ME a JJ! I would like to have perfect tone too!
But have you EARNED that JJ yet? Are you a pro??? LOL! I kid of course!

I've had:

BE100
Butterslax
JJ100
SS100
Phil X
Small box
Dirty Shirley

BE100 is just my favorite overall and the one I've always kept. It has more voicing options than the rest. SS100 probably second favorite. Does that one tone really well. JJ is close as well but they just don't seen as versatile to me. Butterslax is really great. I still have that one too but it's for sale, only because my BE pretty much does what I need. The Butterslax covers a lot of territory with the 3 channels.

JerEvil":23iba2nw said:

No. Seriously. That's a great point.
And hell no... I have not earned a JJ. Not even close.
I don't deserve it, and I can't justify it.
Thanks for bringing that up.
I honestly don't even deserve a BOSS Katana head. But for $350... it's not the end of the world.
It seems extremely versatile, and for the first time in my life... I will be able to make tone/effects
patches and switch them on-the-fly with the foot controller. THAT by itself is exciting to me.
If I can make the thing sound like I want it to... that's another story.
I know the "clean" will be great. I'm not even worried about that. It's the "modern metal" tone
I am worried about. I won't know until I get my hands on it.
If I can make the thing sound decent... i'll keep it for 20 years.
It most likely will be the last amp I ever buy. Hopefully. ( Cuz I hate spending money on geetar crap. )

oldmtlhed":19rl158a said:
JerEvil":19rl158a said:

No. Seriously. That's a great point.
And hell no... I have not earned a JJ. Not even close.
I don't deserve it, and I can't justify it.
Thanks for bringing that up.
I honestly don't even deserve a BOSS Katana head. But for $350... it's not the end of the world.
It seems extremely versatile, and for the first time in my life... I will be able to make tone/effects
patches and switch them on-the-fly with the foot controller. THAT by itself is exciting to me.
If I can make the thing sound like I want it to... that's another story.
I know the "clean" will be great. I'm not even worried about that. It's the "modern metal" tone
I am worried about. I won't know until I get my hands on it.
If I can make the thing sound decent... i'll keep it for 20 years.
It most likely will be the last amp I ever buy. Hopefully. ( Cuz I hate spending money on geetar crap. )
Katana is pretty legit and sits in just fine with any level of gear honestly.

JerEvil":ghwlwbdq said:
Katana is pretty legit and sits in just fine with any level of gear honestly.

That's what everyone is saying.
It seems like a solid platform to start with.
I have some decent stuff to go with it. I have a really nice 4x12 cab,
and the MXR 10-band EQ to help tweak the tone.
My Ibanez RG has a hot X2N humbucker, and I have the famous OD808 also.
I know the Katana has lots of built-in effects, but I have some external stuff
I can play with as well. Maybe a combination of both will find the sweet-spot.
Should be fun. Or frustrating. :LOL: :LOL:

We'll soon find out.

Man, I would love to have a JJ! We have the worst Friedman dealer up here in my area as they only have the small combo amps in stock. Super nice guys to deal with but really don't order much. I wish we had a better dealer up here where I could actually check one of these out.

PBGas":xivz3wss said:
Man, I would love to have a JJ! We have the worst Friedman dealer up here in my area as they only have the small combo amps in stock. Super nice guys to deal with but really don't order much. I wish we had a better dealer up here where I could actually check one of these out.
Yeah our Guitar Center has a decent selection but no BE or JJ.

PBGas":103e8kk0 said:

Kind of like where I'm at too with our local shop. The only big Friedman was the owner's 2014 BE-100 which I've played quite a few times. I was there when my buddy rolled the dice and ordered his JJ blindly and I basically did the same thing a year later with the Slax... No regrets ;) I could have bought from Sweetwater or wherever else but I try my best to support the local shops as much as possible.

-the JJ has the best HBE CHANNEL of all of them----------------(TRUTH!! X2)-
-don't forget Bill used a JJ until he got his sig. Amp-

Back