To Laney, or not to Laney, that is the question

Zachalou

So I've recently acquired a JCM 800, 2204 50 watts, it's pretty cool, it takes boosts well and it is nice to own a good marshall amp (I owned the JVM 410h and just didn't like it)

But even though I really like it, I still find myself gassing over a head that I use to own and regret getting rid of. It was a Laney GH100L, made in the 90's and it really had balls to it. I am considering selling the JCM and going the GH100L route again.

Perks being that the laney has an effects loop, tons of gain and balls on tap to where I would not have to use 2 boosts and is much cheaper so I could come out with some cash in the end.

Just a dilemma,
How do you guys feel about Laney, specifically the GH100/50L series?

peterc52":3pm2dbxq said:
I just got a GL50L in. I would say for the price they're hard to beat!!
definitely :rock: I'm considering the 50 watt as well, but one of my local stores has a 100L brand new for just a bit over 500 that I have my eye on. Not sure how it would stack up against the 90's version, as I know there are a few differences, but when I get the chance I'll check it out

I had two older GH100L's at one point, did a shoot out between the two and sold the one that didn't sound as good. Switched to a newer GH50L (with the two handles built into the headshell) a while back and it sounds as good as the GH100L that I kept. The knobs/pots on newer ones feel a bit more fragile than the older ones, in my opinion.

Inearthed":1mm6d8tc said:
I had two older GH100L's at one point, did a shoot out between the two and sold the one that didn't sound as good. Switched to a newer GH50L (with the two handles built into the headshell) a while back and it sounds as good as the GH100L that I kept. The knobs/pots on newer ones feel a bit more fragile than the older ones, in my opinion.

Yeah the one I had felt very sturdy, to be honest it felt much more reliable than the JCM 800 I have now. I'll definitely fiddle with the knobs on the one in the store here, also has the top handles which I thought was pretty convenient

I have a 50 watt 800 modded by Brent Gutierrez with an extra preamp tube(insane amount of gain) and a metro zero loss loop. He also put a depth knob on it. Wish you could hear it...

The Laney GH100 is a great amp,tho. You can always get another 800 if you want one again.

Zachalou":59btvjgz said:
Inearthed":59btvjgz said:

Yeah the one I had felt very sturdy, to be honest it felt much more reliable than the JCM 800 I have now. I'll definitely fiddle with the knobs on the one in the store here, also has the top handles which I thought was pretty convenient
If you gig - or even just haul your amp to other places to play - the double top handles are pretty much the best thing ever. I genuinely wish every heavier amp had the same setup. It just feels much more comfortable / sturdy when moving.

Killer amps. Owned a GH100L, and the GH50L 3 times. I'd sell the JCM800, buy the Laney, and pocket some cash without batting an eye.

napalmdeath":1ykijn13 said:
Killer amps. Owned a GH100L, and the GH50L 3 times. I'd sell the JCM800, buy the Laney, and pocket some cash without batting an eye.

That's what I'm doing for sure! Thought I "needed" the JCM 800, turns out I just miss the Laney,
have it up for sale locally now :rock:

Zachalou":1vbxfo70 said:
napalmdeath":1vbxfo70 said:

That's what I'm doing for sure! Thought I "needed" the JCM 800, turns out I just miss the Laney,
have it up for sale locally now :rock:

That would be my course of action! You can probably pocket $500, if you play your cards right!

Laney is totally badass. It's a damned shame that they discontinued the TT and VH100R models. However, the new SHR has me gassing. The Lionheart 50 is incredible, but there's something about an amp with 5 power tubes that kind of doesn't sit right with me. I've been mulling over getting a GHR or looking for an used TT. Unfortunately, Laney gets totally overlooked on this forum. Their amps have a great feel. The GH50/100L sound really, really good. I tend to like Laney stuff better than Orange, but sometimes I get an itch for a Rockerverb MKIII. I wouldn't say they're in the so-called "fuzzy" camp like Orange is typically considered, but there is generally less of a buzziness compared to Marshalls.

SavageRiffer":1jz3lgpw said:
Laney is totally badass. It's a damned shame that they discontinued the TT and VH100R models. However, the new SHR has me gassing. The Lionheart 50 is incredible, but there's something about an amp with 5 power tubes that kind of doesn't sit right with me. I've been mulling over getting a GHR or looking for an used TT. Unfortunately, Laney gets totally overlooked on this forum. Their amps have a great feel. The GH50/100L sound really, really good. I tend to like Laney stuff better than Orange, but sometimes I get an itch for a Rockerverb MKIII. I wouldn't say they're in the so-called "fuzzy" camp like Orange is typically considered, but there is generally less of a buzziness compared to Marshalls.

Agreed, I went right from the 100L to several highly praised high gainers, JVM 410, EVH 5150iii, VHT deliverance, and now the marshall, and really each one just didn't do it for me in some way, though they are all great heads in their own ways. The Laney was easier on the ears for sure, but cut through brilliantly like a marshall, plus, I miss having an effects loop.
If I had it my way, I would have kept all the amps (minus the JVM 410) but when I start collecting I know where I'll start :thumbsup:

The VH100R is one I have been considering also, excellent clean channel and from what I hear, a tube change will really make it rip. I seem them pop up used a lot for really decent prices

SavageRiffer":1m5l0h2j said:

I had a TT50 combo. Couldn't gel with it, it was too flabby and loose. Even came stock with a CL80.

I had a VH100R, played great and sounded great but it had the older leather handles that fell apart. Through the right cab that amp sounded simply crushing but with a ton of cut. But it could also do the lesser gain crunch stuff as well as some reasonable cleans. Person I sold it to ran it through its paces with a SG with Bareknuckle pickups tuned to drop C and it sounded amazing.

Every GH and VH100R I've actually played usually sits really well in a mix live and man those suckers get loud.

Inearthed":z6rhhhcf said:
I had a VH100R, played great and sounded great but it had the older leather handles that fell apart. Through the right cab that amp sounded simply crushing but with a ton of cut. But it could also do the lesser gain crunch stuff as well as some reasonable cleans. Person I sold it to ran it through its paces with a SG with Bareknuckle pickups tuned to drop C and it sounded amazing.

Every GH and VH100R I've actually played usually sits really well in a mix live and man those suckers get loud.

Loud, and cut like nobody's business. The GH50L is in my top 5 favorite amps I've ever owned, (and that's over 40 amps). To this day, the GH100L is probably the loudest f'ng amp I owned, (or heard, for that matter) that, and the 2005 Quick Rod I had back then.

I like the simplicity of the GH. Added resonance, drive engaged, hit it with an OD, man, just kills for high gain. Boosted, I'll take that over a 5150 for heavy riffage all day long. Rip your face off, and the dynamics, clarity and punches right in the gut.

napalmdeath":2g1i26o1 said:
SavageRiffer":2g1i26o1 said:

I had a TT50 combo. Couldn't gel with it, it was too flabby and loose. Even came stock with a CL80.

Flabby and loose is never something I associated with the TT50, and I owned that combo too. I really miss it. The CL80 is one of my favorite speakers too. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I think the TT was their best amp next to the VH100R. It had a great feel, and it also had that expansion button that made if fatter and oozing more tone. The clean channel was deceptively good. If you cranked it up all the way, it would only break up just a bit, but oh man did that little crackle of breakup sound good. The cleans would really come to life if you fed it a little volume. That was a great amp.

Back