Chris Poland Clinic/Performance/Q&A!

On Saturday, October 14th, Chris Poland (ex-Megadeth/Ohm) will be in Woodinville (just outside of Seattle) for a Clinic/Performance/Q&A.

My band, The Janitors of Chaos, will again be backing him up. Here we are (from the last performance we did together) playing an Ohm tune, "Davinci".

https://youtu.be/7-f41a8oDsM

Chris is the coolest guy, and a monster player. There are only 40 tickets available, so get your tickets now, at

https://www.jamacademy.com/chrispoland

Several price points available, including the opportunity to jam with Chris!

Im a huge MEGADETH fan and for me its the RUST IN PEACE line up that Im partial to. Chris is undoubtedly a shredder but I was never really able to get into his style. Just a little too Jazzy for my taste. Very cool that your band is backing him up though. Rock on!

He is a really great guy, too. Easygoing, generous, and knows everything you would ever want to know about tone. We must have talked for 45 minutes straight about gear last time we spoke.

Ethn Hayabusa":2cyg1osj said:
He is a really great guy, too. Easygoing, generous, and knows everything you would ever want to know about tone. We must have talked for 45 minutes straight about gear last time we spoke.

What would you say is his secret ingrediant to his lead tone? Tone knob? Eq? Just wondering if you knew or had some inside info. I dont want to cop his tone exactly, by any means, bur he has always had a moaning kinda horn like lead tone even back in early megadeth. We could go on and on aboit ability; but his tone and style always will be my favorite.

I don't think it's a single event. I think he has a clear sound in his head, and he can hear how every item in the chain modifies or adds to it. He uses a lot of low mids, and he carefully curates every step of his rig.

He is also very conscious of the frequency spectrum in a band environment/mix, and tries to avoid cutting into the cymbals, and bassist's territory. He has mentioned his right hand a lot, and likes a tone that allows him to play with dynamics. It seems a lot of his choices revolve around keeping that "feel" intact.

He has opinions on everything from Op-amps, to the screws that are in his pickups.

I think having the sound you want in your head is the first step.

mchn13":3ps1erhz said:
Ethn Hayabusa":3ps1erhz said:

What would you say is his secret ingrediant to his lead tone? Tone knob? Eq? Just wondering if you knew or had some inside info. I dont want to cop his tone exactly, by any means, bur he has always had a moaning kinda horn like lead tone even back in early megadeth. We could go on and on aboit ability; but his tone and style always will be my favorite.

Ethn Hayabusa":1s2u0256 said:
I don't think it's a single event. I think he has a clear sound in his head, and he can hear how every item in the chain modifies or adds to it. He uses a lot of low mids, and he carefully curates every step of his rig.

He is also very conscious of the frequency spectrum in a band environment/mix, and tries to avoid cutting into the cymbals, and bassist's territory. He has mentioned his right hand a lot, and likes a tone that allows him to play with dynamics. It seems a lot of his choices revolve around keeping that "feel" intact.

He has opinions on everything from Op-amps, to the screws that are in his pickups.

Hey! Sending you a PM.

Ethn Hayabusa said:

Most excellent response! :thumbsup:

I think his tone secret is that severed tendon ;)

Seriously, Chris is one of the best. I'll always be partial to the Peace Sells line-up when it comes to Megadeth...but even beyond that, man, I still remember the day I picked up Return to Metalopolis expecting instrumental Megadeth and had no idea how versatile he was (I didn't really know much about his fusion background at that point).

Since then I've loved his solo stuff and the OHM material is just amazing...very cool on the clinic/performance!!

Back