Metallica Rig Rundown 2017 tour

Purpleibby":1zhgepuz said:
Aside from the digital/tube preamp/amp debate.....axefx rigs are just fuggin' boring.

LOL..yeah they're not as cool looking as old Marshall/Mesa heads & cabs with tubes glowing. I'm not gonna argue with that :thumbsup:

This vid is current footage of their AxeFx tone that the whole stadium gets to hear night after night......you certainly can't tell me that's not good enough, plus with all the other added benefits/convenience/reliability that an all digital rig at the level of the Fractal stuff brings to the table.......99% of all folks couldn't tell this tone from any tube rig....& the 1% that thinks it can, doesn't matter to anyone for all intents & purposes :yes:

thesockmonster":33fxbls0 said:
To be honest, I don't think Metallica really gives a shit about what we think. Probably why they've survived and thrived over the years.

I agree.

BYTOR":14cxp07n said:
Purpleibby":14cxp07n said:
Aside from the digital/tube preamp/amp debate.....axefx rigs are just fuggin' boring.

LOL..yeah they're not as cool looking as old Marshall/Mesa heads & cabs with tubes glowing. I'm not gonna argue with that :thumbsup:

This vid is current footage of their AxeFx tone that the whole stadium gets to hear night after night......you certainly can't tell me that's not good enough, plus with all the other added benefits/convenience/reliability that an all digital rig at the level of the Fractal stuff brings to the table.......99% of all folks couldn't tell this tone from any tube rig....& the 1% that thinks it can, doesn't matter to anyone for all intents & purposes :yes:

That was a cool vid. Nice to see different perspectives. So now that the guitar tone thing is just a child of the right presentation can we argue about Lars using snare drum replacement/supplementation live!! Not knocking his performance on this go round but damn, that snare. As much dynamics as the horizon of a salt flats :LOL: :LOL:

It's been great to hear James's voice sound good for a few years now.

skoora":3ic9tjve said:
BYTOR":3ic9tjve said:
Purpleibby":3ic9tjve said:

That was a cool vid. Nice to see different perspectives. So now that the guitar tone thing is just a child of the right presentation can we argue about Lars using snare drum replacement/supplementation live!! Not knocking his performance on this go round but damn, that snare. As much dynamics as the horizon of a salt flats :LOL: :LOL:

It's been great to hear James's voice sound good for a few years now.

Whatever the effect of the tone, then or now, I personally just wish I saw some remnant of THIS in the band that they are today,

I know bands evolve, change, adapt, etc. But, personally, this is the shit that made me fell like I could run right the fuck through a brick wall. Sadly, this doesn't feel, sound or look anything like what I saw this year at the Rose Bowl. Again, no hate. They are great. What they are, how they sound, today just doesn't do it for me anymore........

All just my opinion....... :rock:

You guys getting all bothered about what Metallica are using for amps on this tour need to get a fucking life. It’s silly to get all upset about it.

kalt":9l1yz6zf said:
Whatever the effect of the tone, then or now, I personally just wish I saw some remnant of THIS in the band that they are today,

I know bands evolve, change, adapt, etc. But, personally, this is the shit that made me fell like I could run right the fuck through a brick wall. Sadly, this doesn't feel, sound or look anything like what I saw this year at the Rose Bowl. Again, no hate. They are great. What they are, how they sound, today just doesn't do it for me anymore........

All just my opinion....... :rock:

GD Right! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Mr. Willy":9l1yz6zf said:
You guys getting all bothered about what Metallica are using for amps on this tour need to get a fucking life. It’s silly to get all upset about it.
Don't care what they use...just saying Axefx rigs(specifically in a rig rundown video) are fuckin' boring to me....nothing more or less.

BYTOR":9l1yz6zf said:
Purpleibby":9l1yz6zf said:

:thumbsup:

Mr. Willy":dfiyjpr1 said:

Are you seriously telling people, passionately talking about rigs on a place called rig talk to get a life :jerkit:

They’ve can borrow my rack next time they are in town. I’m sure they would find the tones more than adequate.

Their live sound was something else in the 1990s, amazing tones. Digital or not, their post-2000s sound cannot compare to it in my opinion.

skoora":1hv6ugbc said:
Mr. Willy":1hv6ugbc said:

Are you seriously telling people, passionately talking about rigs on a place called rig talk to get a life :jerkit:

Yep. Discussing it is cool, but getting pissed about it to the point that it seems like you’re taking it personally is fucking stupid. Nobody in that audience gives a crap or can tell the difference.

skoora":amlprusf said:
BYTOR":amlprusf said:
Before they went 100 digital for their live shows, tons of folks were saying for years that they sounded pretty shitty live compared with their amps from their earlier days.......

and you're not wrong...Now I'm only going on video's but their live sound has not been good to my ears well before AxeFX. I think it's just James's taste in sound has changed and this is what he dials in.

Basically this I guess.

This was James and Kirk Rigs during the Death Magnetic Tour before they switch to the AXE FX

James Rig

jamesmesaracksm-507x750.jpg

Kirk's Rig

Mr. Willy":3rtq9f73 said:
skoora":3rtq9f73 said:
Mr. Willy":3rtq9f73 said:

Yep. Discussing it is cool, but getting pissed about it to the point that it seems like you’re taking it personally is fucking stupid. Nobody in that audience gives a crap or can tell the difference.

I guess I missed the part where anyone was pissed and/or taking it personally.......... :confused:

Ya, as soon as they get the holograms of the band ( kinda sorta close but not really) beamed into the concert venue, nobody in the audience will give a crap or be able to tell the difference. :m9: Sounds like a Win Win for everyone involved............ Props to Wizard of Ozz

BYTOR":1s2eaqbz said:
Not to mention they bought a total of 76 Meyer monitors at $4,000 - $5000 each to run the AxeFx rig thru.......it's not a cost cutting move at all to go 100% digital for them.

Funny how this was ignored by the people calling them or their techs lazy and blaming it on cost-cutting. It wasn't an overnight process for them to switch over the the Axe-FX's, it was a few months of working with Fractal to get what they wanted out of them. They probably tried multiple versions of setting the systems up and spent more than enough time and cash doing so, when they could have just taken the gear they already own (or are given) out.

My girlfriend and best friend caught them at the Foxboro show on this tour and from where they were sitting, the sound was so washed out they could have been playing Metal Zone's into Gorilla amps for all anyone knew. When I caught them at the Garden on the Death Magnetic tour, I was REALLY looking forward to hearing James' live sound and then when the show started, I was just having a blast and not even really giving a shit about the guitar tones. The energy and volume of the crowd mixed with the volume and energy of the band was so much more than the guitar tones.

And as for using them in the studio....this seems like a no-brainer to me.

"Hey, I want to use a Mesa kind of sound for this part, like a MkIII, let me go grab an Axe-FX and spend half the session dialing in the sound instead of walking 5 feet across the room and grabbing the MkIII sitting there."

They've got every amp they'll ever need at their HQ. They spent months getting their AxeFX's right for live use.

As for the switching gaps, there is a slight delay with some presets when switching amps and effects, from what I've read. (I don't own an Axe-FX nor have ever even played through one). Just like making every other aspect of the show go off without a hitch, using 2 separate units is just another way of achieving that.

Hey they used ADA back in the day and I imagine you couldn't tell what they were using in the late 80s early 90s. It's easier to get Metal tones out of processing then tubes that's consistent and Metallica sounds like Metallica. I had a great time at the show in NJ who cares what they are using. Plus if you had an original Mark iic plus would you tour with it ?

Back