Metallica Rig Rundown 2017 tour

Thanks for that, it was interesting. I used to be a huge Mett fan up to about Black.

When I start touring the planet, then I'll get and AFX..

So all guitars are AxeFX and power is Matrix...I can see that. I'm sure the Deizels/Mesas/Fortins all sound killer, but James's tech made a great point about consistency and reliability in a big production. I don't think a single person in the audience would know the difference between a Digital/Solid State rig versus a tube rig in huge venues like that. A few guys like us might think we can tell and maybe could. Digital rigs and SS have come a long way in the last decade. But if I were touring the world on that kind of stage, I'd do the same thing and leave my tube amps at home/studio.

I can see why they use AxeFX too but if I had their kind of dough I'd probably want my stuff to sound as badass as possible while providing work/jobs to amp repair techs and what not at the same time ;) But yeah nobody would probably notice lol

Was going to say 'in b4 digital hate' but apparently I would have had to have been like, the second poster. Oh well. In b4 Kirk hate. :D

In with the digi-hate. :yes:

Y’all got roaddies... what are they there for?
Consistency? That’s what Mr. Guitar Tech yakking there is getting paid for.
Why don’t we just get some holograms of the band playing in a nice controled rehearsal studio somewhere and we can beam the performance direct all around the world at once?!?

That ought to be pretty controlled and consistent. Please. :lame: :bleh:

Wizard of Ozz":30w48rp3 said:
Why don’t we just get some holograms of the band playing in a nice controled rehearsal studio somewhere and we can beam the performance direct all around the world at once?!?

You will be getting this MUCH sooner than you think.

My bet is that it is an effort to slim down assorted costs for the band, I'm sure it saves them at least some amount of cash in freight / space to have two smaller racks per member versus multiple fridges. Probably takes less set up / tear down time as well as sound check time. Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a decision from the business side of things.

Also, hologram Lars doesn't sound like a bad thing.

But that's not all. What if I told you you can download all their presents ?
Now how much would you pay ???

(Parody might not be available in all locations)

ive heard thru the pro grapvine and first hand that fractal stuff in finnicky and not really reliable which is why metallica has so many units
the dudes i know went kemper cuz they can't afford 14 axe fx's
[exodus/death angel/skollnick etc]

sutepaj":2gld9hmb said:
Wizard of Ozz":2gld9hmb said:

That’s what I’m afraid of. First no more CDs in stores... next “Hey Dad... what was a live show?!?... You actually went somewhere to watch a band perform... are you kidding me???”

stephen sawall":bfh1s7ps said:
But that's not all. What if I told you you can download all their presents ?
Now how much would you pay ???

(Parody might not be available in all locations)
I'm surprised they haven't worked with the manufacturer to sell a unit pre-loaded with Metallica approved presets that can't be removed / duplicated from the unit. Win-win on both sides.

controlled_voltage":bfh1s7ps said:
ive heard thru the pro grapvine and first hand that fractal stuff in finnicky and not really reliable which is why metallica has so many units
the dudes i know went kemper cuz they can't afford 14 axe fx's
[exodus/death angel/skollnick etc]

Never owned an AxeFX, but in the video they talk about how there is a delay in patch changes between clean and crunch sounds --- is that true?

Wizard of Ozz":bfh1s7ps said:
sutepaj":bfh1s7ps said:
Wizard of Ozz":bfh1s7ps said:

That’s what I’m afraid of. First no more CDs in stores... next “Hey Dad... what was a live show?!?... You actually went somewhere to watch a band perform... are you kidding me???”
Google "hologram Dio tour" :thumbsdown:

Whenever I've gone to any larger shows lately people are just glued to their phone, or live streaming themselves while the band is playing, just weird. Not even just young folks either, everyone is doing it now it seems.

I understand the change to Axe FX due to it being easier but I hate it personally. Their tube amps sound so amazing in comparison IMO. I would rather see them cut back on the big screens and show part of their concerts and go back to their tube amps tonally.

When they played Moscow, Woodstock (twice), etc... they used tube amps and those crowds were HUGE.

Viper":zkif68if said:
We joke about it, but 5 FUCKING WAHS. lol.

That is just so he can have one regardless of where he is on stage. It's not like he is using 5 wah's at one time, lol, but the wah is what he loves and uses alot.

I personally would like to see him lay off the wah tone more but that is what he loves and regardless of that IMO Kirk has had many really killer leads in his career.

You see that stage, production and all that equipment?
It’s not about money.
They like the gear their using.

Badronald":2g4vxv5x said:
It’s not about money.

Maybe so or maybe they are looking at the bottom dollar and how much it costs to ship, maintain and put on the type of production they are doing overall now instead of the tone and gear.

Those huge screens in the back ground are not cheap just like all of the other visual production costs they have added over the years. It seems they have laid back on tonal gear for more visual IMO.

I know it may be different live and in person but all the vids i see of their distorted sounds have no life to them. They sound like all the edges have been rounded off and it has no bigness to it. Was watching a recent vid of Ktulu and the clean intro sounded sweet and the band kicks in and it just sucked the life out of it. Rob's bass tone was carrying all the aggression and balls. The guitars should have been roaring. Especially with those RTL tunes.

Shit, after seeing the AC/DC rundown those AxeFX rigs suck balls.

jlb32":2ihwkb1a said:
Badronald":2ihwkb1a said:
It’s not about money.

Maybe so or maybe they are looking at the bottom dollar and how much it costs to ship, maintain and put on the type of production they are doing overall now instead of the tone and gear.

Those huge screens in the back ground are not cheap just like all of the other visual production costs they have added over the years. It seems they have laid back on tonal gear for more visual IMO.

They’re a band. NOTHING matters more than the sound.
I know it’s a visual society now, but Metallica are legends. They’d sell out with two half stacks on either side of the stage and an Ampeg head and 8x10. Drum kit.

Also did you see the size of those rigs?! How is that money savings over a couple heads in a rack?!

Back