Which locking tuners are the best???

ZR4400

They are going on a fixed bridge / non-locking nut strat guitar.

Is Sperzel still the way to go?

I've been happy with Sperzels. Had Schallers also on a guitar long ago. It was good, but one of the locking nuts used to fall off when unscrewed a bit. I got the guitar like that, so not sure how it came to be that way. FWIW, I also have Schaller straplocks, and one is machined badly to where it doesn't fit on the button.

I really like the Gotoh 510's. I like them a lot better than Sperzels (better gear ratio) and Planet Waves Auto Trim.

I have both Sperzel and Hipshot griplock locking tuners.

Both work equally good as far as accuracy and stability goes, but the Hipshots come with this "Universal Mounting plate" system which is AMAZING if you don't want to drill any extra holes in your headstock. I put them on a 1990 ESP which had kinda strange stock tuners (non of the aftermarket models had the exact same position for the fixing screw), so I could leave it intact. Besides, installing them with the UMP is a breeze.

Another hipshot vote. Used several brands. Haven't put them on a strat headstock but know they make them.

Ive had great luck with Sperzels and use them on most of my guitars. I have/had a set of planet waves which worked fine but I sold the neck and just never put them back on anything yet so they sit... I've got a 2016 SG traditional which came with Grover locking tuners stock and they also seem to work very well so far as well.

Sperzels are the best. Their machined/anodized construction allows for much tighter tolerances compared to typical cast/plated tuners.

Gotoh magnum is the best, then next to that is Schaller. Kluson started making Schaller style locking tuners a while back and they're just as good. Gotoh Magnums are a bit pricier and so are Schallers, but lately I've seen the Gotohs in the $55~ range. Gotoh has THE best tuning ratio, never slips, and provides very stable tuning. Fender brand locking tuners seem to come in either a Schaller style (thick button) or a Sperzel style (thin button), and they are very stable and never had any problem with them. I don't know who manufacturers Fender brand, but they're very reliable. I find great deals on them so I use them often. I love the look of Sperzel, but in my experience, they tend to slip a little, and I've had a couple which have stripped on the bushing, so I stopped buying Sperzel tuners a while back. Lastly, I recently tried some Hipshot locking tuners. They're good quality, but a little more expensive. I still prefer Gotoh Magnums and Fender.

On paper, the tuning-ratio is the same, but after building and modding so many guitars, you tend to develop preferences. Gotoh Magnum seems to set right into place when turning to the tuned pitch. Other tuners usually require tuning them down then back up a couple of times to get it just right. Sometimes they slip a little, and that's often either the locking mechanism or the gears. There are times when you have to loosen up a set of strings, tune, then loosen and tune again when you're making adjustments. By the 2nd or 3rd time, the high E snaps. Gotoh and Kluson grab the string well, but don't snap as frequently. I don't know if they use larger size ball bearings inside the tuning peg or what. They just seem very string-friendly.

For me, a lot of time the quality is very similar, so I go with the best deal I can find at the time among the brands listed. I supposed I'd buy Sperzel if the right price, but they're not bad tuners. Planet waves and those cheap Schaller knockoffs are far worse.

-I go for the heaviest locking tuner's I can find-
-(GROVER'S)-
-(I also had SPERZEL LOCKING TUNER'S slip until they stripped the post)-
-(Hate all Kluson tuner's)-

I like most and Spertzel the least. I dont like the turning radius nor do I like shape of buttons. They are made well though. You also have to drill for stabilizing post

LSR but no longer made. I have them on 2 of my CS Jackson guitars. A few years back I bought all the remaining stock I could find all over the globe :)

I put the Hipshot grip lock open gear tuners on my Warmoth. Love them!!! With the Wilkinson bridge that guitar has rock solid tuning stability. I'd say it rivals a well set up Floyd...

ZR4400":2rl4ndf4 said:
They are going on a fixed bridge / non-locking nut strat guitar.

Is Sperzel still the way to go?

I've done Sperzel's a few times, However the one I really loved were the D'Addario/Planet Waves auto-trim. I got a guitar with them already on it, or else I probably would have never tried them. The auto trim feature is awesome.

As a word of caution, they don't work (the eyelet is too small) with heavy string gauges, so if you downtune you're going have an issue on your low string.

I put Planet Waves auto trims on every single guitar I have owned for the last 10 years. For me, they are the best. Great gear ratio, great locking wheel, and they clip off your excess string for you as you tune.

Back