Dan Donegan tone?

napalmdeath

Now, I'm not a huge Disturbed fan, by any means.. But I ran into this show posted and checked it out. Donegan's tone is SICK. I've read what's he's used in the years, most notably the Randall 1086 modules. Also, after initially using Mesa Recto's, he's said he blends an Ecstasy with the Randall in the studio. What do you think is used live in this from 2006?? Fucking sick!

Disturbed is very cool and straight from here on Chicago's south side. I remember seeing them in the clubs back in the day. :rock:

LP Freak":2j9fvoak said:
Disturbed is very cool and straight from here on Chicago's south side. I remember seeing them in the clubs back in the day. :rock:
I know Dan and Fuzz (original bass player) from way back. They're from Oak Lawn and Orland. Very cool dudes. Paul, my bassist that you saw in Beard used to be in Loudmouth with Dan back in the 90's. They kicked Dan out, and he went on to form Disturbed. Guess he got the last laugh. :LOL: :LOL: Don't know Draiman, but everybody I know that does says he's a douchebag of biblical proportion. :LOL: :LOL:

Beyond Black":191ngk25 said:
LP Freak":191ngk25 said:
I know Dan and Fuzz (original bass player) from way back. They're from Oak Lawn and Orland. Very cool dudes. Paul, my bassist that you saw in Beard used to be in Loudmouth with Dan back in the 90's. They kicked Dan out, and he went on to form Disturbed. Guess he got the last laugh. :LOL: :LOL: Don't know Draiman, but everybody I know that does says he's a douchebag of biblical proportion. :LOL: :LOL:
Yea, I remember Loudmouth. I never knew Dan was part of that.

I had the Donegan 1086 module for the Randall MTS amp.
That thing was BAD ASS!! :rock:
Ran a EQ in the loop of the Randall. But what a crushing tight ass tone!!

He uses 3 main amp

The Randall w sig 1086
The Bogner XTC
The Egnater Armageddon

That old is likely the Randall into the 412 isolated
Cab cranked with 2 mics on it

LP Freak":2zbpzxtw said:
Beyond Black":2zbpzxtw said:
LP Freak":2zbpzxtw said:
Yea, I remember Loudmouth. I never knew Dan was part of that.
Yeah, after he was out is when they got a deal and put out an album. Then their singer proceeded to snort his signing bonus and the band fell apart. Again, Dan got the last laugh. :LOL: :LOL:

Beyond Black":haswgcwg said:
LP Freak":haswgcwg said:

I'm from oak lawn and remember in the 90s going into a small music shop called Rossi music and they would have disturbed shirts for sale, never really knew why at the time haha.

Mailman1971":3o5cdt6r said:
I had one of those, too! Was deep into the modules for a few years.

Donegan has some great tone.

Mailman1971":2nmx4izm said:

Agreed hated disturbed but that module was killer.

I went back and watched the Randall 1086 video.

His module design I would bet was done by Egnater ,its very similar to the Vengeance

the switches on the drive channel are +/- a mid-scoop -boost and bright and tight switches and the fact that he used the Armageddon on Immortalized

ibzprestige":r6h247yw said:
Beyond Black":r6h247yw said:
LP Freak":r6h247yw said:

I'm from oak lawn and remember in the 90s going into a small music shop called Rossi music and they would have disturbed shirts for sale, never really knew why at the time haha.
Ha! I remember Rossi! Remember Music Crib back in the day? Used to be a cool store. Lots of cool used gear. Around '93-94 an old band of mine practiced in those Shure Guard storage garages on 100th and Harlem, and Disturbed (they were "Brawl" then) had the unit across the aisle from us. Little did we know they'd go on to sell 20 million records. :LOL: :LOL:

Beyond Black":e29ny7qo said:
ibzprestige":e29ny7qo said:
Beyond Black":e29ny7qo said:
LP Freak":e29ny7qo said:

Ha! I remember Rossi! Remember Music Crib back in the day? Used to be a cool store. Lots of cool used gear. Around '93-94 an old band of mine practiced in those Shure Guard storage garages on 100th and Harlem, and Disturbed (they were "Brawl" then) had the unit across the aisle from us. Little did we know they'd go on to sell 20 million records. :LOL: :LOL:

Oh man that's crazy! Brings back memories :LOL: :LOL: there was also a cool record shop on 95th down from Rossi across from the Freshline over there, forgot the name of it, I lived right behind it!

ibzprestige":2d4pggit said:
Beyond Black":2d4pggit said:
ibzprestige":2d4pggit said:
Beyond Black":2d4pggit said:
LP Freak":2d4pggit said:

Oh man that's crazy! Brings back memories :LOL: :LOL: there was also a cool record shop on 95th down from Rossi across from the Freshline over there, forgot the name of it, I lived right behind it!
Wind Records! AWESOME IMPORT SECTION! Been there many times for all my underground metal shopping! :thumbsup:

I have the sound of the album in my head which i prefer much more than that live tone. I think he used Recto's back then. Funny, I know most think that band Hoobastank is shit, well yes they are :LOL: :LOL: But I did see them live open up for the band Live. The guy from Hoobastank had a crushing tone when I saw them at the Roseland. He had 2 Recto heads on a Mesa 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12. When I hear of Disturbed it just makes me think of my time in the cover band scene when we played all these songs.

Beyond Black":25aq6jyf said:
ibzprestige":25aq6jyf said:
ibzprestige":25aq6jyf said:
LP Freak":25aq6jyf said:

Wind Records! AWESOME IMPORT SECTION! Been there many times for all my underground metal shopping! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the memories guys! I got my 1st amp at Rossi music....and my band rehearsed at ShureGuard just down the way from Vandal (the one by 127th & Cicero though). Both Dan D. and Bob Federson both played in my band for a little while too! (both very good guys) Like you said... Who knew how huge Dan would become?!

First off, I really don't mean this is a shit-talking way. I think people should listen to whatever they like.

But for me, this is a good example (and lesson) of how I maybe don't care about tone as much as songs. I watched half of that video and I can't even recall what the tone sounded like - all I could hear were awful vocals and pseudo-aggression. Don't get me wrong, I've spent way too much money going through a ton of amps looking for that perfect tone, like many people here. But when I stop and think about it, some of my favorite music doesn't necessarily have my favorite tone. And that fact doesn't take away from the experience. For example, Ed had better tone than Randy, but Randy is who I wanted to listen to. Another example is that there is other stuff I love, like Deicide's Serpents of the Light, that I've never even spent much time thinking about the tone, I just love the songs so much. It's just sounds how it's "supposed" to sound.

Something I should keep in mind the next time I think I need a new amp.

UltraGary":361f89hn said:
Beyond Black":361f89hn said:
ibzprestige":361f89hn said:
ibzprestige":361f89hn said:
LP Freak":361f89hn said:

ped

Thanks for the memories guys! I got my 1st amp at Rossi music....and my band rehearsed at ShureGuard just down the way from Vandal (the one by 127th & Cicero though). Both Dan D. and Bob Federson both played in my band for a little while too! (both very good guys) Like you said... Who knew how huge Dan would become?!
Those ShureGuard units were cold as fuck in the winter! We had 2 or 3 torpedo heaters running for an hour before we could even jam! :LOL: :LOL: I remember Vandal. Wasn't that Dan, Bob, John Sullivan and I can't remember who else? Saw them many times at Katz! :D

Back