Does anybody mod Diamond Amps?

MR MARCUS

I have a SpecOp and I really like the voicing but there are several things about the tone that I dislike. I was going to mod it myself but I can't get a schematic. I tried to contact Diamond, but I never go a response. I know that they are dealing with the aftermath of hurricane Harvey. No modder has Diamond listed. I may contact Jerry. Just kinda fishing right now. Thanks

Martin Golub can mod them as he and Jeff designed the amps or just he did. He still does the Crunch and Lead mods. I'm sure he knows Diamond amps. I think his name is on the boards. I think Diamond is out of the amp building business. aside from their import models.

http://www.lasounddesign.net/custom.html

glip22":14yl04sy said:
Martin Golub can mod them as he and Jeff designed the amps or just he did. He still does the Crunch and Lead mods. I'm sure he knows Diamond amps. I think his name is on the boards. I think Diamond is out of the amp building business. aside from their import models.

I didn't think about that. His name is on the board. Thanks!

glip22":1dis7ffj said:

My suggestion as well. :thumbsup:

Jerry would do a fine job as well.

MR MARCUS":2wxf4nld said:
glip22":2wxf4nld said:

:thumbsup: Tell him to lead mod it if he can.

Ask Bob Bradshaw to give John Suhr his favorite hammer.
I'm sure he'd mod the amp so that it was unrecognisable.

glip22":32gj8ogy said:
MR MARCUS":32gj8ogy said:
glip22":32gj8ogy said:

That would be cool, but at $650 plus shipping both ways and we're getting close to what I paid for the amp. I got it from Jason Krause from Kid Rock and he gave me a good deal. Like I said I really like the way it's voiced. My main issue is with the low end. To keep it tight the bass needs to be too low and when I hit it with my TS9 it kills the balls. It's really weird. I looked at the Low Focus switch and it's basicall just a resonance swith as it's connected to three NFB resistor options. I might play with some values or just take the switch out and just install a variable depth pot. I also thought about getting a TS type overdrive with a dedicated bass control. I tried a Joyo eq in the loop and it sounded like shit.

MR MARCUS":1vd7ki9j said:
glip22":1vd7ki9j said:
MR MARCUS":1vd7ki9j said:
glip22":1vd7ki9j said:

That would be cool, but at $650 plus shipping both ways and we're getting close to what I paid for the amp. I got it from Jason Krause from Kid Rock and he gave me a good deal. Like I said I really like the way it's voiced. My main issue is with the low end. To keep it tight the bass needs to be too low and when I hit it with my TS9 it kills the balls. It's really weird. I looked at the Low Focus switch and it's basicall just a resonance swith as it's connected to three NFB resistor options. I might play with some values or just take the switch out and just install a variable depth pot. I also thought about getting a TS type overdrive with a dedicated bass control. I tried a Joyo eq in the loop and it sounded like shit.

Sometimes playing with the NFB won't get you where you want. Allot of modders and builders have a tough time getting the low end correct. I don't like allot of crap in my NFB loop. In allot of cases your best shot at getting the bass tighter is in your first stage couplers and also playing with the cathode resistor/cap combos on V1. Probably not something you want to do with the PCB and having to lift the board. Theres tricks like soldering in two bare legs so you can clip parts in and out. Allot of effort though. I had a Diamond amp. They can be had very cheap considering the build quality is very good. I had teh same issue as you. I liked teh tone but it was missing things in key areas for me. The low end was not my cup of tea as well.

glip22":24y6mp4z said:
MR MARCUS":24y6mp4z said:
MR MARCUS":24y6mp4z said:

Sometimes playing with the NFB won't get you where you want. Allot of modders and builders have a tough time getting the low end correct. I don't like allot of crap in my NFB loop. In allot of cases your best shot at getting the bass tighter is in your first stage couplers and also playing with the cathode resistor/cap combos on V1. Probably not something you want to do with the PCB and having to lift the board. Theres tricks like soldering in two bare legs so you can clip parts in and out. Allot of effort though. I had a Diamond amp. They can be had very cheap considering the build quality is very good. I had teh same issue as you. I liked teh tone but it was missing things in key areas for me. The low end was not my cup of tea as well.

That's exactly why I want the schematic. I'd rather study the schematic over tracing out the pcb. It would be fairly easy to pull the board with the pots pcb mount. Nothing like my old Mesa MkIV that I spent countless hours working on. I guess I just need to break out my old decade boxes and start experimenting.

MR MARCUS":3e2uu9tg said:
glip22":3e2uu9tg said:

That's exactly why I want the schematic. I'd rather study the schematic over tracing out the pcb. It would be fairly easy to pull the board with the pots pcb mount. Nothing like my old Mesa MkIV that I spent countless hours working on. I guess I just need to break out my old decade boxes and start experimenting.
I dont think they will give up a schematic unfortunately but you never know since they are out of production. Good luck.

Back