NGD: metal neck LP

godgrinder

ICxg93Vl.jpg

EGC aluminium bolt on neck + Warmoth black limba Regal body. Pickups are BKP Impulse and Dimarzio PAF Pro.

A friend helped me with drilling and soldering. The tone knobs are dummies, just 2 vol controls and a 3 way toggle. However once we wired the toggle in, it seems to pick up more interference than when I only had the bridge pickup straight to the jack. Might swap to Lynch wiring (1x push pull vol pot to control pickup switching), so the signal won't have to travel across the body and back.

It's not as crazily resonant as my full aluminium EGC, which actually made it more balanced sounding for regular metal genres (ie the stuff that aren't post/sludge/doom metal). But there's still plenty of the aluminium 3D-ness and still exceeds all-wood guitars in the resonance department.

The BKP Impulse is a nice surprise being a Northlane sig model. I haven't heard a full Northlane song but the descriptions seemed good on paper. Basically it has a relatively flat/even midrange, without a honk in a certain narrow range of the mids, which made it gel fairly well with all my amps regardless of where the mid emphasis sits in the amp voicing.

Pretty cool. I'd like to see some more pictures of it like a side view and some close ups. I'm a cnc programmer and have worked in machine shops for over 20 years and have thought of doing something like this for a long time.

-reminds me of one of my dream guitars, a TRAVIS BEAN,
if you can find one for sale try it, they're aluminum neck through guitars, if its less than $5000 buy it

sg guy":5v81xst9 said:
-reminds me of one of my dream guitars, a TRAVIS BEAN,
if you can find one for sale try it, they're aluminum neck through guitars, if its less than $5000 buy it

I tried Steve Albini's old one last time he played here. Very cool guitar.

EGC has licensed TB's designs from his family, including a model with the neck and the back cut from the same piece of billet, which never went into production when he was alive. Would love one of these at some point:

p2_ujtihki0q_so.jpg

Back