noise gates

-the BEST GATES I've ever used were the ones built into the circuit at the critical points and the amp built around it-

-2203KK-
-FIREBALL 100-

Got zuul. Like an NS-2. Extremely transparent. Basically just the impedance difference is audible. NOTHING is completely imperceptible, this sounds excellent.

The gating works well. Been playing without one for so long Im not sure Ill keep it. I have a $28 rowin isp clone for emergencies already.

Fit and finish are good as expected. No manual in box which was annoying had to go to FB for info about the side switch for the gate range.

Extremely subjective but the silly gas station trucker hat graphics are not my thing. Felt the same way about grind. There need be sans graphic options.

It is an excellent gate. Dethrones the NS-2 for that crowd, though not budget friendly and a wonderful addition to an ISP. This up front and ISP in the loop would be perfect for schreeching weasel rigs.

Hey I got mine today too but didn't get to mess with it before heading to work... so I noticed that side switch also.. so what does that do exactly?

errrrrl":slpcct6b said:
Hey I got mine today too but didn't get to mess with it before heading to work... so I noticed that side switch also.. so what does that do exactly?

Ups the range when using with a hot input and no key jack. I think its for fx loop use without key.

Thanks, I guess it might be worth messing with then... and yeah instructions, even a post it with simple instructions would have been nice lol

errrrrl":39f101e1 said:

Try it at 12 volts if you can. It react a little better with my stuff that way.

I think maybe I have no idea what "high gain" really is, relatively speaking of course. I consider what I use high gain but have never considered a gate of any kind.

How much gain are you guys pushing? just curious. Are we talking metal zone dimed in front of a uberschall/butterslax/herbert here? Or are talking taming the feedback on ss metal amps?

GOHOINC":1guo13ws said:
I think maybe I have no idea what "high gain" really is, relatively speaking of course. I consider what I use high gain but have never considered a gate of any kind.

How much gain are you guys pushing? just curious. Are we talking metal zone dimed in front of a uberschall/butterslax/herbert here? Or are talking taming the feedback on ss metal amps?

This is my idea of high gain.

Is anyone liking the Zuul in their loop? Mine showed up yesterday but I'm not going to be able to work with it until at least this weekend.

milkchickenbomb":2m2qj2eq said:
Another vote for ISP G. Well worth the money. No comparison to the NS-2 I used to have.

I have a 1974 Marshall superlead modded by Friedman and use the Decimeter. I tried an NS-2, it did not work for me.

Metal1977":2libmogn said:
errrrrl":2libmogn said:

Gonna try this, thanks buddy!!!!

Metal1977":1e1azhwe said:
errrrrl":1e1azhwe said:

I tested mine at twelve. I always give pedals the max voltage they can take for max headroom, more amplike to me.

GOHOINC":111ectug said:

Taming any noise transparently. I just like to chugg, and stop, and total silence.
The zuul is very transparent. I don’t play gobs Of gain (most of my gain levels are at noon or maybe a little higher), but high gain amps can give some noise floor when cranked for sure. I don’t boost a lot, but when I do it raises that noise floor slightly also. So a good gate is nice to clean up the signal.

Mattfig":27mpmdo4 said:
Can someone who knows Zuul explain why it's better than ISP G-Series? Thanks!

Far easier to use, simpilicty thru key input as well, and totally transparent. It not only gates better, but it doesn't change your tone at all. The Decimators are horrendous for that. I am a touring guitar tech part of the year, and my guys went back to using NS2's the ISPs colored the tone that much. They just ordered ZUULs after hearing them on the spot. Scott Ian did the same, and pulled his Decimators off all of his rigs for the ZUUL.

Hope that helps!

Wow.. I'm not jiving with those claiming the NS-2 is transparent. I found the Decimator II to be far superior in front, and all around better in the loop, to am NS-2, no contest.

Not saying the ZUUL is that much better, it should be for $75 more than the DII, I would hope!

And, I agree with a few posts back.. The onboard gate on the Fireball 100 was fantastic!

I still haven't hooked my Zuul up yet, waiting for new cabling to arrive. But I do currently have an ISP II Gstring and it works pretty good. No noticeable tone loss that I can tell.

Still need to figure out Zuul's key thing before I begin wiring it up, I seen guys on the fb army group with Y splitters n shit... really? :doh:

@engage757 is there any kind of documentation you can share on this key thing?

errrrrl":1web5k4m said:
I still haven't hooked my Zuul up yet, waiting for new cabling to arrive. But I do currently have an ISP II Gstring and it works pretty good. No noticeable tone loss that I can tell.

Still need to figure out Zuul's key thing before I begin wiring it up, I seen guys on the fb army group with Y splitters n shit... really? :doh:

@engage757 is there any kind of documentation you can share on this key thing?
Mike added a video into the Fortin Army group, but it's not letting me link it for some reason.

Back