Yes!!! An EVH 5150 EL34 50 watt

Rayneman":1dklth72 said:
- Blue Channel seems to me to be very different from the 6L6 50 watter. I'd really need to A/B them, but I recall the 6L6 Blue to have more gain and be tighter that this one. This one is more of what I'd call a real rhythm channel, but there is still quite a bit of gain. Its a vastly different tone from the Red channel on this amp, whereas I didn't think that to be the case with the 6L6 amp. This could be a very good thing from a versatility point of view, but I am not sure there are any "metal" tones anywhere in the Blue channel. Its possible I am mis-remembering my other EVH. I do recall being able to use the 6L6 Blue channel for most any type of music I'd ever play, and not feel like it needed more gain or to be tighter.

I think your remembering correctly. Thats a very accurate description and assessment. I feel the same way but Ive got the 100w el34 and had the 100w 6l6.

Rayneman":1dv7v903 said:
My amp arrived not too long ago, and I've spent a few minutes checking it out...advantage of working from home. I had the 6L6 version that I really liked, which is now in the possession of the thread starter :D .

I need a lot more time with it but my initial impressions are as follows:

- Green Clean is clean and is now independent of the Blue from a gain/volume perspective hooray! It can get loud and stay clean. Happy to have this now, if I end up using this amp to gig, it will be great to have.

- Blue Channel seems to me to be very different from the 6L6 50 watter. I'd really need to A/B them, but I recall the 6L6 Blue to have more gain and be tighter that this one. This one is more of what I'd call a real rhythm channel, but there is still quite a bit of gain. Its a vastly different tone from the Red channel on this amp, whereas I didn't think that to be the case with the 6L6 amp. This could be a very good thing from a versatility point of view, but I am not sure there are any "metal" tones anywhere in the Blue channel. Its possible I am mis-remembering my other EVH. I do recall being able to use the 6L6 Blue channel for most any type of music I'd ever play, and not feel like it needed more gain or to be tighter.

- Red is great, I think its a bit crunchier that the 6L6 and sounds brighter to me, but in a good way. I know people have complained about the high end from demos, and I am using the EVH 2x12 here, but I don't notice any unpleasant high end at all, but of course I am not cranking presence or highs. Everything is at noon on the red channel. Easy to play, sounds good, feels good. I have not ventured above noon on the gain.

So yeah, I am happy to have the EVH "back" and in this form looking forward to more time with it and hearing what other people have to say.
Great review! Thanks!

One just landed here and the best thing about it is the clean channel, the blue channel is now loose and flubby no relation to the feel of the blue on the regular 50w. Didn't try it with a boost yet and really dont care too. The red is ok but really noisy and will go into feedback very quick. Long story short its going back in the box. The best EVH amp is the 2-12 combo.

232cap":3idmwzh3 said:
One just landed here and the best thing about it is the clean channel, the blue channel is now loose and flubby no relation to the feel of the blue on the regular 50w. Didn't try it with a boost yet and really dont care too. The red is ok but really noisy and will go into feedback very quick. Long story short its going back in the box. The best EVH amp is the 2-12 combo.
Oh boy.....Not looking good for the new 50 :confused:

Damn that blows. The 100 watter I have is tight as a frogs ass. Crisp...... Edgy. Yeah tons of gain......
But I LOVE GAIN! :D
Just a chug machine :rock:
And I also have the original 5150 as well. That one is just thicker then the EL34 amp.

Mailman1971":zbjl9las said:
Damn that blows. The 100 watter I have is tight as a frogs ass. Crisp...... Edgy. Yeah tons of gain......
And I also have the original 5150 as well. That one is just thicker then the EL34 amp.

AMEN! :rock:

Same thoughts here with my 100W EL-34

My matching 212 just showed up! Going to pick it up tomorrow and in go the Lynchbacks! Can’t wait!

Mailman1971":3r2d09ut said:

Not sure if we can write off the amp so quickly, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion. The more I play around with the resonance, low end and presence I am getting a variety of good tones from the blue channel. It may not be exactly the fire breather it was before but that's what the red channel is for.

Did you try the old graphic EQ in the loop thing?
Man that just awakens this giant into a monster.
I have a MXR 10 band. Levels pretty much flat line. But when I kick it on its a world of difference. But I been using this set up for years with all my amps.
Just like it takes the tone.... then INJECTS it with triple steroids! :LOL: :LOL:
A must have for me!! :rock:

:thumbsup:

The gain on the amp is fine its the feel that went out the window. I actually thought my guitar was on the rhythm pickup when I first fired it up. Lets put it this way its not what most 5150 III will be expecting in my opinion. There is a good chance a good clean boost will tighten it up and sound great.

232cap":24p7m1tu said:
The gain on the amp is fine its the feel that went out the window. I actually thought my guitar was on the rhythm pickup when I first fired it up. Lets put it this way its not what most 5150 III will be expecting in my opinion. There is a good chance a good clean boost will tighten it up and sound great.
You're used to that Cameron feel. I know what you mean. :rock:

nevusofota":3sn10nea said:
232cap":3sn10nea said:
nevusofota":3sn10nea said:
232cap":3sn10nea said:
The best EVH amp is the 2-12 combo.
Which is the same amp as the original 50w head.

Not in a side by side comparasion.
Likely just the difference in cab, specs are the same.
I remember a few years back the rumor that the 2x12 combo was basically a mini Stealth and was different than any of the other 50w versions.

Update with a little more tinkering around with the amp it is pretty easy to see now that EVH basically dialed down and tried to revoice the blue channel to replicate a old marshall plexi as it has that same loose feel and is brighter. It really responds well to a boost just like an old marshall. I guess there were actually trying to cope a old marshall tone out of this head, not just fender marketing. So if your expecting that modern grind and tightness of the other EVH amps you probably wont dig it but if you play around with boost it can do it all. The red channel is pretty good straight in as is the clean. The clean really sounds good.

I’ve talked with Art and Vince, and the 2x12 combo just has the best feel to me outta the lineup. I still have my Stealth, but sold my Bogner 2x12 it was paired with. Cab construction does have something to do with it, thinner ply birch actually gives a different feel along with the shorter depth of the cab. It’s awesome and hard to replicate with a head and cab mix.

crwnedblasphemy":2i0h34ir said:
I’ve talked with Art and Vince, and the 2x12 combo just has the best feel to me outta the lineup. I still have my Stealth, but sold my Bogner 2x12 it was paired with. Cab construction does have something to do with it, thinner ply birch actually gives a different feel along with the shorter depth of the cab. It’s awesome and hard to replicate with a head and cab mix.
Yes Rian, The 2/12 combo for me is best best of the EVH linup. Amazing feel to it. The blue channel is the best i have heard. For sure a winner :yes:

splawner":2j4lmvl2 said:
crwnedblasphemy":2j4lmvl2 said:
Yes Rian, The 2/12 combo for me is best best of the EVH linup. Amazing feel to it. The blue channel is the best i have heard. For sure a winner :yes:

Do the 2x12s have the EVH Greenbacks ?

Racerxrated":156uou9a said:
nevusofota":156uou9a said:
232cap":156uou9a said:
nevusofota":156uou9a said:
232cap":156uou9a said:
The best EVH amp is the 2-12 combo.
Which is the same amp as the original 50w head.

Not in a side by side comparasion.
Likely just the difference in cab, specs are the same.
I remember a few years back the rumor that the 2x12 combo was basically a mini Stealth and was different than any of the other 50w versions.
Just heard from Mr. Kaplan. You guys are correct. The stealth was based off the combo. However, the only real difference between the 50w head and the combo was that they added more gain on the combo/stealth’s blue channel, the red is almost identical.

hammered":398xedv3 said:
splawner":398xedv3 said:
crwnedblasphemy":398xedv3 said:

Do the 2x12s have the EVH Greenbacks ?
G12Ms

Back