Two Notes Torpedo Captor Test Clip

Sounded great but I'd cut the reverb out a bit and repost. Sounded like you were playing in a coliseum. Would be good to hear a bit more of the tight palm mutes, etc.

romanianreaper":owndj6cq said:
Hey sounds great! It was easier to hear the different notes, etc.
Thanks. I'm really impressed with the Captor and the Wall of Sound plugin. The possibilities are endless.
My amp isn't even cranked, too loud for home though. Really convenient to be able to record tube amps silently.

crwnedblasphemy":2i40op58 said:
Ive been seeing mixed reviews on these...kinda holding me back from getting one.
Also seeing mixed reviews but I think it boils down to personal taste. Just like I've seen that some people like the built in cab sim and some can't stand it. I have a buddy that picked up one and is getting pretty good tones from it after I gave him a few pointers that work for me on the suhr RL.

errrrrl":2ydtfyxy said:
crwnedblasphemy":2ydtfyxy said:
Ive been seeing mixed reviews on these...kinda holding me back from getting one.
Also seeing mixed reviews but I think it boils down to personal taste. Just like I've seen that some people like the built in cab sim and some can't stand it. I have a buddy that picked up one and is getting pretty good tones from it after I gave him a few pointers that work for me on the suhr RL.

can you give us Suhr RL owners give some hints, too?

errrrrl":3edce42k said:
crwnedblasphemy":3edce42k said:

That’s my question, is there a tone differenc between the SRL and the captor? Does one sound better, or give a more true signal?

crwnedblasphemy":2384r2u7 said:
errrrrl":2384r2u7 said:
crwnedblasphemy":2384r2u7 said:

That’s my question, is there a tone differenc between the SRL and the captor? Does one sound better, or give a more true signal?
If i'm not mistaken I think the captor is the same reactive load that is in the Torpedo Live? If that is true then back when I researched getting my Suhr almost 2 years ago, I came across a few threads where people felt the Suhr was more speaker like in comparison to the Torpedo Live. I'm sure there will be Suhr RL vs Captor vids soon tho.

I can tell you that the very best tone I ever got from my Suhr RL is by recording with my cab connected using the cab's load and the Suhr's line out. The difference was subtle but noticeable.. but also defeated the purpose of silent recording for me lol... but I had try ;)

born_hard":1vjemvja said:
Sure... I recently pm'd a fellow RT brother this info... made a few edits to make more sense, here you go...

I'm gonna tell you what I just told a friend of mine who picked up a Torpedo Captor and was getting muffled muddy sounding guitars. With the Suhr RL if I try to use the attenuation feature (the di level on the front) and crank my amp louder with IR's it sounds like shit.. muddy, muffled, no definition at all. For over a year I was wondering if my RL was broken.

I figured out that I got the cleanest articulate metal/thrash sounding tones by:

1. Dialing in my amp to my liking with my cab connected thru my Suhr RL first with the master volume set to about 1 (unhook the cab afterwards)
2. On the Suhr RL/Captor/Rockcrusher turn the attenuation off/turning the knob to zero (no attenuation)
3. Use the unbalanced out of Suhr/loadbox to your interface (balanced works too but unbalanced sounded better to me)
4. Turn your interface input all the way down/off for now
5. Insert a track to your daw, load your VST IR loader (I use NADir http://www.kvraudio.com/product/nadir-by-ignite-amps ), then load your IR’s up
6. Slowly crank up your interface's input til you start to clip then pull back just a bit to taste
7. Experiment with your Hi Z button on your interface... I stopped turning it on with my Roland and noticed I got thicker bassier tones without it. Almost everyone else on the net says to use Hi Z but I didn't like it personally.

IRs:
I use Celestionplus IR’s lately, mainly the V30 412 C Hi-Gn All Celestion.wav from the V30 4x12 pack. When I record and playback I usually pan a guitar hard left, hard right and middle, and before rendering I like to turn the middle track down just a bit so you hear the left and right guitars more dominantly.

So if I'm using V30 412 C Hi-Gn All Celestion.wav for my hard left I literally load and click thru a few variants of the same IR and pan that hard right til I find one that adds fullness/something different. Basically let your ears use the force lol. I find that I usually load one IR that is sort of bassier (left), 2nd has more mids (right) and 3rd that has more highs (panned middle with less volume) so it sort of has a more natural scooped sound vs using an EQ in the DAW.

Try that and see if it helps any. It made a HUGE difference for my buddy using a Torpedo Captor. Best of luck!

errrrrl":3sarh33k said:
crwnedblasphemy":3sarh33k said:
errrrrl":3sarh33k said:
crwnedblasphemy":3sarh33k said:

If i'm not mistaken I think the captor is the same reactive load that is in the Torpedo Live? If that is true then back when I researched getting my Suhr almost 2 years ago, I came across a few threads where people felt the Suhr was more speaker like in comparison to the Torpedo Live. I'm sure there will be Suhr RL vs Captor vids soon tho.

I can tell you that the very best tone I ever got from my Suhr RL is by recording with my cab connected using the cab's load and the Suhr's line out. The difference was subtle but noticeable.. but also defeated the purpose of silent recording for me lol... but I had try ;)

From what I've read on the Two Notes sub forum here, the captor has the same reactive load as the Studio/Live but they tweaked the eq a bit on the Captor.

errrrrl":1h1fr7rw said:
born_hard":1h1fr7rw said:
Sure... I recently pm'd a fellow RT brother this info... made a few edits to make more sense, here you go...

I'm gonna tell you what I just told a friend of mine who picked up a Torpedo Captor and was getting muffled muddy sounding guitars. With the Suhr RL if I try to use the attenuation feature (the di level on the front) and crank my amp louder with IR's it sounds like shit.. muddy, muffled, no definition at all. For over a year I was wondering if my RL was broken.

I figured out that I got the cleanest articulate metal/thrash sounding tones by:

1. Dialing in my amp to my liking with my cab connected thru my Suhr RL first with the master volume set to about 1 (unhook the cab afterwards)
2. On the Suhr RL/Captor/Rockcrusher turn the attenuation off/turning the knob to zero (no attenuation)
3. Use the unbalanced out of Suhr/loadbox to your interface (balanced works too but unbalanced sounded better to me)
4. Turn your interface input all the way down/off for now
5. Insert a track to your daw, load your VST IR loader (I use NADir http://www.kvraudio.com/product/nadir-by-ignite-amps ), then load your IR’s up
6. Slowly crank up your interface's input til you start to clip then pull back just a bit to taste
7. Experiment with your Hi Z button on your interface... I stopped turning it on with my Roland and noticed I got thicker bassier tones without it. Almost everyone else on the net says to use Hi Z but I didn't like it personally.

IRs:
I use Celestionplus IR’s lately, mainly the V30 412 C Hi-Gn All Celestion.wav from the V30 4x12 pack. When I record and playback I usually pan a guitar hard left, hard right and middle, and before rendering I like to turn the middle track down just a bit so you hear the left and right guitars more dominantly.

So if I'm using V30 412 C Hi-Gn All Celestion.wav for my hard left I literally load and click thru a few variants of the same IR and pan that hard right til I find one that adds fullness/something different. Basically let your ears use the force lol. I find that I usually load one IR that is sort of bassier (left), 2nd has more mids (right) and 3rd that has more highs (panned middle with less volume) so it sort of has a more natural scooped sound vs using an EQ in the DAW.

Try that and see if it helps any. It made a HUGE difference for my buddy using a Torpedo Captor. Best of luck!

I've always kept the level on my Suhr Reactive Load low, but have not tried recording with it off. I'll have to try that.

Regarding the Suhr there is some conflicting info floating around regarding how to set up your interface. Initially I read on TGP that I should use the line in on my interface or if you don't have a line in, plug a 1/4 cable into the combo jack which is very close to a line in, at least on my Focusrite 2i4. According to Focusrite when you use the combo jack in this way there is still some preamp influence on the signal but it is minimal.

Then it was recommended to set the interface to "line" which seems obvious, but I prefer leaving my interface set to "instrument". The signal is stronger/brighter this way. I always toggle back and forth between line and instrument when I'm setting the levels just to be sure. YMMV depending on your interface.

Back