Opinions on Curt Mangan strings

krb813

I have an Eric Johnson Strat and I was looking to try some Curt Mangan strings? Probably the pure nickel ones. I would have to order them on-line to get some. If someone has some info on them I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Kevin

I gave a couple of their sets a go for a while. I found the pure nickel too dull. I expect nickel to be a little more mellow, but they were noticeably duller than some other nickel sets I tried at the time. I also tried a couple of their drop tune sets and found their string tension much higher than expected and out of balance between strings. I know lots of folks like Mangan, but they didn't do it for me.

I use the nickle wound CM on my darker guitars (such as a LP) to brighten them up a bit. I use the standard D'Addario XL's on my brighter guitars (strat).

I really like the curt Mangan strings, they last a long time for me and have good tone. I have not tried the NYXL's, but may in the future. The price is holding me back on the NYXL's.

In general strings are are very interesting and subjective topic. I know players who love Ernie Balls, but for me that last about a week. I used to use DR's almost exclusively, but then started getting tuning issues and had strings breaking. Since I have switched to CM And D'Addario, I rarely get broken strings.

Let's put it this way. I've got at least 4 packs of Curt strings sitting collecting dust. And that's where they'll stay. There's better options for me out there.

Typically use Daddario Xl's but tried some CM's and liked them on my Les Pauls. They seem pretty good to me.

I guess I will wait on the CM strings. Does anybody have any other recommendations? I have used GHS Nickel Rockers but wasn't a big fan.

Thanks

CP5150":zniv8ly6 said:
Let's put it this way. I've got at least 4 packs of Curt strings sitting collecting dust. And that's where they'll stay. There's better options for me out there.

Do you mind sharing what those options are?

Back