Favorite CP EL-34s

Tubes I Like:
I've been digging the JJ KT77's in hi gain amps lately because they sound less compressed to me than an EL34, with a little less mid-range, and they can add some aggression and tight bottom end. I really like them in my Peters amps, and I also have them in the Pittbull. (note - I'm running Tung - Sol 6550's in the FSM right now, for even more aggression, because the FSM will bias them without a mod) Never tried the Gold Lion version of the KT77, mostly due to price. If anyone wants to share any insight into how the JJ's compare to the GL's, I'd love to hear it.

If I'm finding an amp a little bloated on the low end or a little bit brittle or harsh, I'll throw in a set of Svetlana EL34's. The mid-range on these tubes is sweet sweet sweet, with a little less low and high end. I have these in both Wizard amps. The Wizards are very aggressive amps, and they have tons of bottom end. The Svets make the Wizards sing. They also sound great in the Peters amps, but I prefer the aggression of the KT77's ( or 6550's ) there. Also using the Svets in my 1987xl to help smooth out a little of the high end zing that amp has. ( 4700pf bright cap ) Never got around to trying the Svets in the BE100, but it's on the list of things to do. It came in with Chinese EL34's and I haven't touched it.

If I just want to run a nice, balanced sounding EL34, I've been using TubeStore Preferred series EL34's. These are chinese, and are pretty much the same as Ruby and TAD EL34's. I'm using these in all my other EL34 amps right now. They sound good to me.

I have had ZERO reliability issues with any of these tubes.

Tubes I'm not a fan of:
It seems like a lot of amp builders are shipping their amps with JJ E34L's these days, and if an amp comes in to my place with them installed, they go right in the circular file. I've had a lot of reliability issues with these, so I just toss them before they fry in my amp. And I can't stand how they sound either. The bottom end is a bloated mess and they just sound meh.
In the last 3 or 4 years, every single tube that's gone tits up at my place has been one of these, and luckily, other than fuses and 1 screen grid resistor, there's been no collateral damage. I have no idea why these are so popular with the OEM's?? Use at your own risk...

I've tried the Tung-Sol EL34's a couple of times and I'm not really a fan. I know a lot of guys love them, but the bottom end seems weird to me. Kinda bloated like the JJ's. I don't know....Just not for me. No failures though...

Hope that helps...

Back