RIGS! A journey thru sounds (audio and video content)

italoop":2kydkict said:
paulyc":2kydkict said:
sah5150":2kydkict said:
How would you even do this stuff in a DAW ? Plugins ???
Would it sound the same ?
I get similar recorded tones in Logic with just plugins. The plugins that come with Logic would do just fine, but if you really want to get close, I'd say get the Eventide H3000 plugin as well.

Double-tracked guitar bussed to auxs with multiple stereo delays set differently, stereo micropitchshift and reverb and mixed properly will sound like these examples. Pretty much indestinguishable in a full mix...

Steve
Isn't the H3000 plugin like $950 ? I mean, I don't mind paying that IF it does ALL of what a real H3000 does, but if it's only some of it ? Seems like that would be a rip off. Maybe someone knows...

It doesn't do all the H3000 does.
The algorithms, most of them, do not work in the same way.
It doesn't sound like the H3000.
Just one detail... the H3000 was one of those boxes whose effects run on different sample rates... something you can't do on a DAW sytem.
Sample rate tricks, like modulation applied to it... no go on a plug!

sah5150":2kydkict said:

Impossible.
Routing between plugs would be really a headache... and... there are no plugins doing a lot of these effects at all.
Sound? Nope...
I don't agree with this. You can route a track to tons of auxs with plugins on them. Not sure I get why routing would be a headache? There are so many plugins available these days that I'm having trouble understanding what effects are unavailable in plugin form these days?

Steve

TONS of hardware algorithms are not available in plugins... literally hundreds!
The level of complexity in terms of effects inserted into feedback paths of other effects... can be quite intricate. Plugins are limited by pre_allocated slots in any DAW platform. You can't code a plugin bigger than a certain amount of size or it can't exceed the available power of a single computer CPU core, depending on the DAW implementation rules.

While all of this may be true, what I'm saying is that it isn't that hard to get very, very similar results to what you posted (especially in a full mix with other instruments) by simply using plugins. So, while I appreciate what you created here with hardware units, practically, I don't see why anyone would go through all the trouble. Additionally, very few younger, guitar-oriented bands want their guitars to sound like this anyway...

Also, to my ears anyway, the H3000 plugin sounds exactly like a hardware H3000 for the only thing I use it for, which is micropitchshifting...

Steve

paulyc":2eikb8lt said:
sah5150":2eikb8lt said:
paulyc":2eikb8lt said:
I get similar recorded tones in Logic with just plugins. The plugins that come with Logic would do just fine, but if you really want to get close, I'd say get the Eventide H3000 plugin as well.

Double-tracked guitar bussed to auxs with multiple stereo delays set differently, stereo micropitchshift and reverb and mixed properly will sound like these examples. Pretty much indestinguishable in a full mix...

Steve
Isn't the H3000 plugin like $950 ? I mean, I don't mind paying that IF it does ALL of what a real H3000 does, but if it's only some of it ? Seems like that would be a rip off. Maybe someone knows...
It's $349, which is an incredible bargain just for the micropitchshifting, which is all I use it for. There is nothing else except the real hardware unit that sounds like it for this effect to my ears. Very unique... Is it a complete H3000, no, but the H3000 does so many things that nobody uses, who cares?

Steve

sah5150":2a1g1edl said:
but the H3000 does so many things that nobody uses, who cares?

Steve

You have no idea about how many recordings were and are still made with the H3000 today. Thousands.
And how wide is the used amount of its effects on those records.
If you think H3000= micropitch... well... you haven't been listening anything else than those guitars and some snare drums for the last 30 years.
You got a lot of work to catch up with... listen to some Brian Eno, Michael Brook, david Lanois, Peter Gabriel (his verbs are Eventide only!)... just as an appetizer...

italoop":2zhuugt9 said:
sah5150":2zhuugt9 said:
paulyc":2zhuugt9 said:

Steve

Nope... the H3000 pluging has nothing to do with the real thing. Just marketing names...
Nope... there is no micropitch shift in what you hear there... frequency splitting, processing mid/highs in stereo, keeping lows in mono.
Looks like you can't hear that... and there's no mix.
I never said there was micropitchshifting in anything you did, nor did I imply there was any mix in your clips. My mix comment was saying that I could match your guitar sounds that you posted in a full band mix - inotherwords, in a full mix they would be indestinguishable, using just plugins. It's kind of irrelevant what the guitar sounds like alone - we're making music no?

Also, as I mentioned, I appreciate what you've done here, I'm just questioning the practicality of it, given you can achieve very similar results in a far easier way...

There are many ways to thicken and get those '80s guitar sounds...

The H3000 plugin does provide the sound of the hardware's trademark micropitchshifting. If you don't think it does, you're welcome to your opinion.

Steve

italoop":nbqfkfdo said:
sah5150":nbqfkfdo said:

Steve

You have no idea about how many recordings were and are still made with the H3000 today. Thousands.
If you think H3000= micropitch... well... you haven't been listening anything else than those guitars and some snare drums for the last 30 years.
You got a lot of work to catch up with... listen to some Brian Eno, Michael Brook, david Lanois, Peter Gabriel (his verbs are Eventide only!)... just as an appetizer...
As far as guitar goes, micropitchshift IS a trademarks sound of the unit, no?

Of course, I overstated that nobody uses it for other things, but my point was more about the plugin being worth $349 simply for the micropitchshift, even if it is not a one for one match to all of the hardware unit's algorithms...

Steve

this thread does nothing for me but prove that I know absolutely jack-shit about recording!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! In all seriousness, fascinating stuff guys. Very cool.

sah5150":kqemgvsa said:
italoop":kqemgvsa said:
sah5150":kqemgvsa said:

Steve

Of course, I overstated that nobody uses it for other things, but my point was more about the plugin being worth $349 simply for the micropitchshift, even if it is not a one for one match to all of the hardware unit's algorithms...

Steve

Steve

349 for a single algorithm...
800 for the real thing, whose micropitch sounds WAAAY better than the plug.... PLUS another 21 algorithms no plug does in the same way, including the spectacular Mod Factory I and II, modular algorithms the user can open up and BUILD his effects within them.
What's cheaper?
Which one sounds better?

italoop":3g78z85t said:
sah5150":3g78z85t said:
italoop":3g78z85t said:
sah5150":3g78z85t said:

Steve

Steve

Steve

800 for the real thing, whose micropitch sounds WAAAY better than the plug.... PLUS another 21 algorithms no plug does in the same way, including the spectacular Mod Factory I and II, modular algorithms the user can open up and BUILD his effects within them.
What's cheaper?
Which one sounds better?
I've had both an H3000/DSX and the Eventide plugin. The micropitchshift sounds the same to me - it is very distinctive. NOW, if you put the hardware unit and the plugin side by side and I listened over and over again, could I distinguish them? I dunno, maybe. But, I ask, what does it matter? Micrpoitchshift is going to be mixed down compared to the dry guitar sound anyway (maybe -10db). The plugin sounds so good and it is way easier to use in my DAW, I see no need for a hardware unit.

Also, are we talking about the same plugin? The Eventide one has:

"Available effects blocks include delays, amplitude modulators, envelope followers, pitch shifters, filters, and low frequency oscillators.

The Function Generator features nineteen waveshapes, a white noise generator, MIDI control, and a sidechain input.

All delays and LFOs can be locked to system tempo. Each delay can be looped and offers a low pass filter.

The filters are selectable band pass, high pass, and low pass with variable Q, and can be swept and modulated without audible artifacts."

How can that possibly be one algorithm? I mean, I'm not a digital signal processing engineer, but the plugin seems to do a lot of things...

Regardless - interesting discussion and I appreciate your thoughts. I'm interested in your thoughts on diminishing returns vs. practicality, which I've brought up (especially as applied to a full band mix) and you haven't commented on yet...

Steve

sah5150":3hjsbrc6 said:
italoop":3hjsbrc6 said:
italoop":3hjsbrc6 said:

Steve

Steve

Steve

What's cheaper?
Which one sounds better?
I've had both an H3000/DSX and the Eventide plugin. The micropitchshift sounds the same to me - it is very distinctive. NOW, if you put the hardware unit and the plugin side by side and I listened over and over again, could I distinguish them? I dunno, maybe. But, I ask, what does it matter? Micropitchshift is going to be mixed down compared to the dry guitar sound anyway (maybe -10db). The plugin sounds so good and it is way easier to use in my DAW, I see no need for a hardware unit.

"Available effects blocks include delays, amplitude modulators, envelope followers, pitch shifters, filters, and low frequency oscillators.

The Function Generator features nineteen waveshapes, a white noise generator, MIDI control, and a sidechain input.

All delays and LFOs can be locked to system tempo. Each delay can be looped and offers a low pass filter.

The filters are selectable band pass, high pass, and low pass with variable Q, and can be swept and modulated without audible artifacts."

How can that possibly be one algorithm? I mean, I'm not a digital signal processing engineer, but the plugin seems to do a lot of things...

Steve

You haven't sit with the H3000 and the plugin... they sound very different.
You can make micropitch shift effects with tons of hardware processors and plugins. Differences are there... for reasons.
Some people don't notice or lightly judge what they hear... others are very attentive at those characters and make choices based on them.

The algorithm in the plugin is based on a modular design similar to the Mod Factory I & II but, despite the similar words used, things ARE different, code IS different.
You are presented scenarios from marketing.

The point about the H3000 is not only micropitch, as you come back at it again and again.
I didn't even use it in those videos... and NO, micropitch does sound different from the techniques used there... particularly on distorted guitars.

The H3000 is about a lot more than just micropitch. Open up, man!
Listen to the other videos I posted... only H3000 there...

italoop":1ss6sju6 said:
sah5150":1ss6sju6 said:

Steve

Steve

Steve

What's cheaper?
Which one sounds better?
I've had both an H3000/DSX and the Eventide plugin. The micropitchshift sounds the same to me - it is very distinctive. NOW, if you put the hardware unit and the plugin side by side and I listened over and over again, could I distinguish them? I dunno, maybe. But, I ask, what does it matter? Micropitchshift is going to be mixed down compared to the dry guitar sound anyway (maybe -10db). The plugin sounds so good and it is way easier to use in my DAW, I see no need for a hardware unit.

Steve

You haven't sit with the H3000 and the plugin... they sound very different.
You can make micropitch shift effects with tons of hardware processors and plugins. Differences are there... for reasons.
Some people don't notice or lightly judge what they hear... others are very attentive at those characters and make choices based on them.

The algorithm in the plugin is based on a modular design similar to the Mod Factory I & II but, despite the similar words used, things ARE different, code IS different.
You are presented scenarios from marketing.

The point about the H3000 is not only micropitch, as you come back a :LOL: :LOL: t it again and again.
I didn't even use it in those videos... and NO, micropitch does sound different from the techniques used there... particularly on distorted guitars.

The H3000 is about a lot more than just micropitch. Open up, man!
Listen to the other videos I posted... only H3000 there...
:LOL: :LOL:

Ok, man! The code is different, I get it. The micropitchshifting (-9 cents L and +9 cents R) in the plugin sounds great mixed down -10db - very unique H3000 sound. I'm sorry you hate the plugin. It sounds great.

I know (and I don't care :D ) that you didn't use micropitchshifting in your videos. We established that. I said I could use it to get similar thickening/sweetening of guitar sounds, that's all.

I had an H3000D/SX for YEARS as I said - I've explored the other things it can do. I like it for what I like it for. I'm sorry that isn't ok with you. ;)

Bottom line - I believe there are MANY ways to achieve very similar guitar tones to what you posted. I believe it is doable using plugins in a DAW and I believe the results would be very, very close in a full band mix. I'm not interested in arguing about whether the exact algorithms and routing can be achieved in a DAW or whether the code is different in a plugin. It's not relevant to me because I'm interested in practicality of approach as well as results. I can get very convincing '80s distorted guitar tones like you posted in the DAW with plugins. That's all I'm saying. In fact, I've heard tons of players on this very forum do it. In the grand scheme of things, the player is far more important than any other element, anyway. I don't want folks to think the only way to achieve similar recorded results is to buy a bunch of hardware effects units, analog mixers, etc. Most people here are mixing down to mp3 anyway - and your clips have been clobbered by YouTube compression as well. It's the nature of music production/sharing today...

Steve

Here we go.... Shouldnt you be out on a ledge somewhere?? While your sounds are quite interesting PLEASE be aware that there is more than 1 way to get things done, correct or not, and your way is not ALWAYS the only way!!! Tell me again about my Studio Switchblade that Ken designed that I use wrong...!! Your clips are great guidelines for people to try and emulate those sounds, but you really are insulting people by insinuating they arent hearing things correctly.

You can do anyhing you like, in any way you like, Period.
THIS is done differently from what you do... and applies to a lot of other sound sources.
IF you can't hear the difference between pitch and time... that is your problem, not mine.
I'm here showing people SPECIFIC things made in SPECIFC ways, not debating on how you do things.
Read my first post two lines. They are VERY simple and clear.

italoop":hm1wzq17 said:
THIS is done differently from what you do... and applies to a lot of other sound sources.
IF you can't hear the difference between pitch and time... that is your problem, not mine.
I'm here showing things to people, not debating on how you do things.

The problem is if in a mix someone can get sounds that are so indistinguishable from YOUR sounds you refuse to believe it can be done any other way convincingly. Only thing you are showing people is what can be done with rack gear that most people done have, and if they did they wouldnt know how to program it.

You're right that you dont debate. If its not your way with only what you use then it will be impossible to get anything close. Your definitely smart enough to be able to manipulate sounds that are "close" with using plugins and would be more obtainable to the average person without top notch gear. I have seen Dave Prater get sounds out of older zoom units that I was blown away by. I know carpenters that blame their skills on the tools they have also.

These vids are cool and sound really good IMO. Really appreciate the time and effort spent. The back and forth about hearing the differences between the plug ins and the real unit are not much different than the often heard AXEFX/Kemper vs. Tube amp debates. Many of us here know for a fact that the Kemper and AXE sound great and most people wouldn't know the difference "in a mix" yet many of us choose the outdated vacuum tube technology because we believe there is a difference. Maybe it's "feel"....or the tone we hear? Maybe it's our minds? Nice to have choices though.

phil b":3txf6vuc said:
italoop":3txf6vuc said:
I'm here showing things to people, not debating on how you do things.

The problem is if in a mix someone can get sounds that are so indistinguishable from YOUR sounds you refuse to believe it can be done any other way convincingly. Only thing you are showing people is what can be done with rack gear that most people done have, and if they did they wouldnt know how to program it.

You're right that you dont debate. If its not your way with only what you use then it will be impossible to get anything close. Your definitely smart enough to be able to manipulate sounds that are "close" with using plugins and would be more obtainable to the average person without top notch gear. I have seen Dave Prater get sounds out of older zoom units that I was blown away by. I know carpenters that blame their skills on the tools they have also.

You have totally derailed from my point, let alone the thread.
I haven't stated anywhere something can only be done in a single way or right one.
I am aware of how people work with technology and have designed myself both hardware d software (plugins) algorithms.
You are bending my point to your personal convenince in attacking me... for whatever other reason you may have.

MY POINT is about sounds that have been created using hardware... for a rig in live use and for recording in any type of studio, from home to professional ones.
Somebody came in presenting his opinion about the fact a pluging can do that. Yes... I'll tell you more... many plugins can do thickening or widening effects.
But the comparison between that specific plugin and the hardware it's been claimed to come from is wrong. Thay do sound infinitely different and are not even related from a code point of view. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong to use this or that... it's just not the same.
In addition to that... MY EXAMPLES do not even use pitch shifting because of issues it presents for its inherent delay latency the user can't control. MY EXAMPLES are based on the use of delays and the psycho-acoustic perception of time non alignment and frequency separation... a more advanced approach to this type of sounds, USED in studios and presented to live rig users who don't have a knowledge of this technique, for the most of them. Very simple.

I have designed hardware and software effects and have been lucky to have the privilege to listen to them on both platforms; even being the same exact algorithms and code... the do sound very different. No matter the tweaks I could add to any of them, they remained different.
I am also doing mastering work on final mixes, where stereo field adjustments, tonal refinement and final reverb need to be added... on acoustic instruments, the most complex situation you may have to deal with in a mastering job. I'm using my hardware and my plugins... believe ot or not I have a ton of them and many companies do give them to me for free, for evaluation, advise, pretty much consulting on them.
So, my Lexicon PCM/MPX/LXP reverbs and effects bundles... vs. my Lexicon 300, PCM80,PCM81, MPX-1. The Random Hall comes from the 300 and was ported over the 480 and the PCM90/91. I apply the plug and listen... I do the same with the Lex300, same settings, same everything... BIG difference. No matter how "smart and expereinced" I can be, I find no way to get the plug to sound as nice, warm, wrapping the music content in a more coherent way, fir it better. They are just different! And the engineer who designed those plugins does aknowledge that, in terms of difference. These are different technologies. Hardware has control on the whole sound, software doesn't as it's based on a chain of separate steps, software, computer, converters. It's another world. There is no plugin out there that sounds exactly like the original hardware it has been created from.
I don't debate the fact people prefer to use one or the other, the "workflow" or anything else... not even care about it.
I am stating they DO NOT sound in the same way. And that's a very easy thing to check because you have the difference in front of your eyes and ears:
-plugins software has limitations in the size that can be used and allocated. This isn't the case on hardware, where an algorithm can be much larger and more refined.
-coding is different. Yes, that matters.
-processing hardware is different... YES that matters too.
-conversions are carried externally. Me and other people, in the same room, have tested the same algorithm thru its native 5000$ processor and its plugin versions on a pro recording DAW setup, running on much more expensive stellar converter... very clear difference in the depth and spread of the sound. The box sounded better.

Does all of this mean one MUST use hardware? No.
Does that make it right or wrong? Not at all.
Is personal evaluation wrong being positive on results when using plugins? Nope.
But when you talk to me about specific comparisons between the real thing and the plugin emulating it.. I'll tell you which one sounds better... and so far it's only been the hardware.
I wish people would develop new and original things rather than trying to copy existing stuff with lesser results. So much of the code of those old units has been lost. How can you even claim your plugin is based on the same data? Good luck with that.

Do a mix with the two different resources... the real thing and its plugin version... and you should be able to tell the difference.
Do you like the plug better... because of all those excuses (workflow, MP3 being the standard (sigh!), guitarists don't use the other H3000 algorithms) and BS like that rather than the difference in quality you can hear?... fine. Live with that and be happy. Others don't do it in the same way and love to keep audio and music on a higher level, both technically and aesthetically...
Some are ok with the "good enough" approach, others go for the best possible one. Different worlds!
Go in a real quality studio and check how much old and current hardware is there and being used every day. They have more than a reason for that.
Ask yourself why many prefer using Henning Amplification amps than a guitar preamp plugin.

That's my simple point in this deviation from the thread subject... and I am NOT debating on it as much as an original device sounds always better at being itself than any imitation of it.
Then ... you are free to make your choices and let others learn how other choices work.
Come to this thread contributing to it as I won't tolerate anything different from that.

I will say I was watching a Tom Petty 2 part documentary, and it was AMAZING how many shots of different people involved with the band had H3000s in the studios they either owned or were in during their interview. An amazing box.

I think it´s not too off base to say that any commercial studio that was in operation during the late 80s and 90s has at least one =)

See...
my point is not about the *H3000*, specifically.
There is so much great hardware in those studios... Lexicon, TC, Eventide, Roland, Yamaha, AMS, Quantec, Korg, etc....
Just ask Bob Clearmountain this questiion... "what's the greatest digital delay ever made?" You'd be surprised at his answer!
Google it.
This stuff is SO much used at this very moment we are typing here, along with different technologies, sure.... but it's holding its place because it does sound awesome.

Dave L":1lxl8rcj said:
I think it´s not too off base to say that any commercial studio that was in operation during the late 80s and 90s has at least one =)
I agree, but this footage was shot later I think.

italoop":3km8s5n4 said:
Hey Zach

good to hear from you! Keep the flame alive!
The more I hear these "new" toys... tha sadder is the ear. We desperately need doctors to cure our kids ears.
These RIGs are the living example one doesn't need a refrigerator style rack to make great sounding recordings.
It's the quality of this stuff and the "know how" of the user that make THE difference.

Let me ask a "rethoric" question...
how many delay pedals are out there? Hundreds?
No one of them has a true 6 voice delays algorithm like in the PCM70/80/81.
That's the basic foundation of tons of great effects.
What a joke!

I hear you, and agree. Having the gear and the art of utilizing it effectively are often worlds apart. I find that there are many more players who seem to prefer doing their best-- Mostly w/ regard to their efforts at attempting the minimum effort required, rather than doing their BEST. Plus the art of learning to play the fretboard is a VERY different art (As I know you're aware), than the art of using the rest of the gear in the chain, effectively (Engineering/Programming/Combining effects to get an 'intended' or not-- NET result).

Back