Any experiences with Randall KH103 Hammett signature??

napalmdeath

I've been pretty set on an old-school Marshall-flavored amp in the past couple weeks, but something about the Fortin Randall stuff, (namely the Satan, Thrasher and KH103), have really been on the brain as well. I don't like the prices for Chinese, but some pretty decent used deals have popped up, and I've even seen the KH103 as low as $1499 new.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Hammett whatsoever. Ironically enough, his demo of the amp is the WORST one!

This one, however, sounds like a beast!

acidvoodoo":xxztfahh said:
That demo sounds great. I can get my Diavlo in very similar territory with a boost.

I had the RD45H multiple times, very underrated! I liked it over the EVH 50 watt.

I played one pretty extensively. It does indeed sound like the Choptones vid (i.e., really good), and the channels are voiced differently enough to make it versatile. If you don't mind the assembled-in-Taiwan aspect--and I don't--the only real drawbacks are the size (massive) and weight (not light). I may grab one when the used prices come down a bit.

Rising Farce":ryfm9nja said:
I played one pretty extensively. It does indeed sound like the Choptones vid (i.e., really good), and the channels are voiced differently enough to make it versatile. If you don't mind the assembled-in-Taiwan aspect--and I don't--the only real drawbacks are the size (massive) and weight (not light). I may grab one when the used prices come down a bit.

Where did you play it? Any local shops? And, it does look like a massive head. The specs don't list a weight anywhere but Ive seen 66lbs. shipping weight on some sights. Need a luggage hauler with wheels, great for your back, no?

napalmdeath":v8alk6bn said:
Rising Farce":v8alk6bn said:

Where did you play it? Any local shops? And, it does look like a massive head. The specs don't list a weight anywhere but Ive seen 66lbs. shipping weight on some sights. Need a luggage hauler with wheels, great for your back, no?

I actually purchased a B-stock one off of eBay around Xmas of last year, as it was priced at roughly $1200 shipped. Unfortunately, it showed up with a damaged head box (thanks, UPS!), and I had to send it back for a refund. I was able to give it a thorough workout before returning it, however.

I believe it's the same size and weight as the 667, so it's definitely a two-man carry for anyone with back issues.

I wonder why he made his signature head so big and tall?... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

getpubthumb

The Fortin Meathead which Kirks amp is modeled after is the same size if not bigger...I'll never forget the look on my drummers face when I packed the Meathead in... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

kurtsstuff2003":1j1lbhu4 said:
The Fortin Meathead which Kirks amp is modeled after is the same size if not bigger...I'll never forget the look on my drummers face when I packed the Meathead in... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its the same chassis/head. Massive transformers, which I believe are only in the Satan, 667, and KH, not the Thrasher..I could be wrong. Maybe somebody could verify that.

I had the Satan and really liked it. Really well built for made in China. Quality parts, chassis mounted pots/jacks, metal stand-off posts to mount the pcbs to the chassis, old school power tube spring retainers, and the massive transformers. The Thrasher has a big OT/PT... but the Satan's are bigger. And the extra pots on the Satan are pretty useful.

Oh... yeah... all of these amp are heavy sum-a-biatches. Not a lightweight amp by any means.

I have the Satan and like it and I'm also curious about the Kirk Hamster head. I haven't read one bad thing about it except the made in China thing. I would snag one if a good deal popped up and I had the cash.

Back