Gassing for a Schecter 7 string... Pros? Cons?

errrrrl":19kk3dw7 said:
Thanks guys for the intel on Schecters. I'm pretty much sold on the KM7 MKII. The 26.5 scale is something I think I'd really like. I've got some giant grape ape gorilla sized hands that would probably enjoy that scale ;) Also digging on a Carvin DC727 but have no idea how their C26 humbuckers sound compared against the KM7's SD's.

midnightlaundry":19kk3dw7 said:
Mine came setup for 2 Volumes 1 Tone which I thought was shit. I also bought a Pegasus/Sentient set. I went in knowing I would change this and wired it up to my liking; made a thread about it.

The combination of a Set Neck, 26.5" Scale, Fixed Bridge and Carved Top make the guitar loud and resonant. The notes are clear and jump off the Top. I set up the action to my liking because it was to low and buzzy. The SS Frets seem more sibilant, but it doesn't translate thru the Pickups and should last longer cuz I can wear out some Nickle Frets... The longer Scale is harder to play, but like all things, you get used to it.

Here's the final nail in your coffin: the Sweetwater pics of my axe, and a couple of my own.
Dude you put the first nail in my coffin as well lol... it was your NGD post of that guitar that got the 7 string wood grain bug stuck in butt lol. Then JerEvil's KM7 after that... and thanks Jer for the Balaguer link, gonna go thru that site right now.
Yeah man. I’ll just add this pic!

BSbVIg1l.jpg

This is a mock-up of what he is building my buddy Jorma of the band Vintersea. It’ll be a Burke’s maple Top with roasted maple neck.

JerEvil":13n8d7zq said:
6GeVsCH.jpg

hnpeKYo.jpg

DiTQT7z.jpg

MvWL78Y.jpg

Man I really dig this guitar. Yeah the 26.5" scale feels weird at first but after a week or so I can jump from my LP, to my Tele then to this no problem and without hiccup.
Wow I love that!!!! I have a schecter bass with that black finish on the neck and its awesome! What model is that and what did you spend on it?

slyym":2x69mcaj said:
JerEvil":2x69mcaj said:
6GeVsCH.jpg

hnpeKYo.jpg

DiTQT7z.jpg

MvWL78Y.jpg

Man I really dig this guitar. Yeah the 26.5" scale feels weird at first but after a week or so I can jump from my LP, to my Tele then to this no problem and without hiccup.
Wow I love that!!!! I have a schecter bass with that black finish on the neck and its awesome! What model is that and what did you spend on it?
This is a used KM-7 MkI. Got a great deal for it used on Reverb. Under $700 shipped WITH hard shell case. Dude had it at $895 shipped. Made an offer of 650 shipped and he declined. Said that was his lowest price. Told him respectfully that he should remove “Accepting Offers” which he did.

My offer was based around 2 that were priced right around my amount. 2 days later he hit me back up and we got it done for $680. Then got it and was filthy, needed a setup and a small ebony dust fill on the first fret. He refunded me the $80 for the work.

engage757":1fejgmk6 said:
I've owned several Merrow, and man, they are serious instruments for the money.
Yeah man they really are. I have been keeping my eye out for the 6 string version too! LOL!

Yeah, insanity man. Real Hipshot hardware, SDs, lockers, Stainless Frets, and neck thru for this price point?

Just breezing through so am sorry if these were mentioned but the new KM sig prototype that he recently posted looks amazing. I don’t use sevens, I’ve never played a Schecter that I like (I’ve plaued all low end) and I don’t typically go for sig guitars but wow. GAS...

Also, my experience with Joe Balaguer was one of the best I’ve had. One of THE coolest “builders” around. Would absolutely recommend dealing with him. I’ve played two of his guitars and they both played and sounded good.

I really liked the “SD” and I have one of his pickups on the way.

I think the KM7 would be a great first 7 string. The only thing I don’t like is the 26.5” scale, but that’s just my personal preference. My first was an Ibanez RG7421, which was cheap and worked great. It was like a gateway drug into 7’s and 8’s, haha.

the rossness":2n3hsn11 said:
I used to be a schecter hater. I just never bonded with them and felt they targeted the kids who were into screamo. But the more I played them, the more my attitude changed. Their import stuff in the $600 and up range is nice quality for an import guitar. Their USA Custom Shop guitars are absolutely stellar fiddles.

As for other brands- the Ibanez RGD series are neat as are the Vai Universe guitars. At a lower price-point, theres the Sterling JP and if you keep looking on ebay, Carvin DC727's pop up here and there. If you really want something different, I think Eastman makes an acoustic 7 string jazzbox.

They always felt like toys to me, but I bought a couple in the last 5 years I really liked. Mostly, a Banshee-6 with Nazgul/Sentient pickups and OFR. I was extremely impressed with that guitar, and quality was right up there with an Ibanez Prestige, IMO. They make some nice guitars in Korea!

I've been "watching" this cheapie Jackson in Reverb..
https://reverb.com/item/975509-used-jac ... lime-green

Thanks RT brothers for all the advice... just pulled the trigger on a used KM-7 MKII for $735 with free shipping... no case included but it's rare to see free shipping to Hawaii... I triple checked their shipping policy and nothing about the usual 48 continental states only, fuck you to Puerto Rico, Alaska & Hawaii etc lol... We'll see I guess ;)

getpubthumb

errrrrl":2k0xj69t said:
Thanks RT brothers for all the advice... just pulled the trigger on a used KM-7 MKII for $735 with free shipping... no case included but it's rare to see free shipping to Hawaii... I triple checked their shipping policy and nothing about the usual 48 continental states only, fuck you to Puerto Rico, Alaska & Hawaii etc lol... We'll see I guess ;)

getpubthumb
Nice man! That's a stunner!

Thanks... I kind of wanted something that looked a little less metal looking... most of my guitars are black or dark and look very metal.. Ironically this new guitar will probably be playing exclusively brutal metal shit lol :thumbsup:

Nice. I like the bevel look on those. I would probably buy more Schecters if more of them had that bevel, instead of the archtop. I am not big on archtop guitars anymore.

Shask":2hgek9cw said:
Nice. I like the bevel look on those. I would probably buy more Schecters if more of them had that bevel, instead of the archtop. I am not big on archtop guitars anymore.
Check out the Balaguer stuff. All the bevels!

JerEvil":1uoojl1r said:
Shask":1uoojl1r said:

They're ugly as hell!

napalmdeath":1o3pku00 said:
JerEvil":1o3pku00 said:
Shask":1o3pku00 said:

They're ugly as hell!
One man's chicken I suppose...

Back