School Me on Ceriatone

crankyrayhanky

So a few years ago I had a Fortin modded Marshall VM. That was an awesome amp! I kind of want some more of that tone but can't afford it...
I hear Ceriatone can get in the ballpark. Which model would suit me best? I like Van Halen and 80s west coast metal a bit but I more enjoy east coast or SF bay 80s Metal (Anthrax) as well as modern stuff like KSE and 7Dust. The Fortin VM could do it all- I really liked the attack and the HUGE yet crazy tight low end.
Would I be looking at a Chupa, Yeti, something else? IDK what's what there. Maybe a Randall Nullifier would work for me too. I'm all over the map here, but hit me up here if you have any insights.

crankyrayhanky":1utw9tgf said:
So a few years ago I had a Fortin modded Marshall VM. That was an awesome amp! I kind of want some more of that tone but can't afford it...
I hear Ceriatone can get in the ballpark. Which model would suit me best? I like Van Halen and 80s west coast metal a bit but I more enjoy east coast or SF bay 80s Metal (Anthrax) as well as modern stuff like KSE and 7Dust. The Fortin VM could do it all- I really liked the attack and the HUGE yet crazy tight low end.
Would I be looking at a Chupa, Yeti, something else? IDK what's what there. Maybe a Randall Nullifier would work for me too. I'm all over the map here, but hit me up here if you have any insights.
I've had a Cali Modded SLP and I have a Yeti 100. Same ballpark. The Yeti or Chupacabra will excel at what you're looking for all day long. Yeti is the darker and tighter of the two, Chupa, brighter and looser. Either one will give you vicious modded Marshall tones, and can be eq'd to get brutal with plenty of low end, thanks to the resonance knob. Don't hesitate to try one. A ridiculous amount of amp for the money.

Thanks! I think Yeti sounds like me- I have an aggressive pick angle so if I can choose darker amps seem to work a bit better.
Are the loops ok?
For reference on how other amp loops faired for me:
DMoll: awesome
5150 50w: good enough
OR100: too noisy

I owned a Yeti 100. Can't say enough great things about it. Never had any issues, and sounded terrific through my EVH V30 cab.

Like Beyond Black said, it will get you from AC/DC to brutal pretty much all onboard - no pedals needed.

I sold it just to try something else out, but I missed the tone quite a bit so now I have the King Kong (which apparently is very close to the Yeti on channel 2).

For the money: no contest, Ceriatone wins out the modded Marshall tone in this price range (and IMO it can hang with quite a few of the $2K - $2.5K amps too).

EDIT: Just saw your question regarding the loop. I don't use loops, but from what I've read, the loop is the most disliked (and really, the only disliked) thing about Ceriatone amps. Should be fairly to cheap to throw in a Metro loop though.

Amp was cool, loop sucked. Non padded signal means you’d prob have to rework your whole fx setup.
It’s a insert loop. Not a fan personally.
Cool tones for sure. I only tried a chupa with mercury iron.
But had it same time as the butterslax. Butterslax is an insanely awesome amp. So it covered all those Marshall needs.
It likes greenbacks for sure, v30 worked too.

I have a 2204 clone and a 50 watt Yeti...........both with Nick's new tube buffered effects loop. Tones and loops are fantastic. For a few bucks more, you don't have to worry about the loop tone suck anymore. My Yeti is not that loud in 80's mode. I run the master at 75% in my house........lol. Plexi mode is insanely loud though. If you are gigging, I would go with the 100 watt Yeti.

LunatiBSW":206dxu1x said:
I only tried a chupa with mercury iron.
But had it same time as the butterslax. Butterslax is an insanely awesome amp. So it covered all those Marshall needs.

can you elaborate the more details about chupa vs. butterslax?
how much the tonal difference do they have?
and are they in the same ball park?

Salos":206dxu1x said:
I sold it just to try something else out, but I missed the tone quite a bit so now I have the King Kong (which apparently is very close to the Yeti on channel 2).

also i wonder yeti vs. KK.
if the money is not concern, do you think KK is the winner because of the channel 1?
or what's the tonal difference between yeti vs. KK channel 2?

Salos":35bbczed said:
I owned a Yeti 100. Can't say enough great things about it. Never had any issues, and sounded terrific through my EVH V30 cab.

Like Beyond Black said, it will get you from AC/DC to brutal pretty much all onboard - no pedals needed.

For the money: no contest, Ceriatone wins out the modded Marshall tone in this price range (and IMO it can hang with quite a few of the $2K - $2.5K amps too).

EDIT: Just saw your question regarding the loop. I don't use loops, but from what I've read, the loop is the most disliked (and really, the only disliked) thing about Ceriatone amps. Should be fairly to cheap to throw in a Metro loop though.
Salos is absolutely right. These will do AC/DC to brutal Marshall tone plugged straight in. I don't even boost mine. It's tight enough, doesn't need it, and has plenty of grind/growl. Also, these will definitely hang with ANY modded Marshall. I've had the Fortin, Cameron's, a Bray, and I have a Friedman KS modded JMP, and my Yeti is as good as anything. Unfortunately, the loop isn't that great, but a Metro will solve that problem. At $1000 used give or take, you can NOT beat a Yeti or Chupa. :thumbsup:

Stay away from them, you'll get the cream of the internet hate.
My Yeti is not that loud in 80's mode. I run the master at 75% in my house........lol
Not supposed to happen in 80's mode, just in Modern mode.

idnotbe":310fibie said:
also i wonder yeti vs. KK.
if the money is not concern, do you think KK is the winner because of the channel 1?
or what's the tonal difference between yeti vs. KK channel 2?

Yes, I do think it makes sense to spend the extra few hundred or so for the KK's additional features (I say this, even though I rarely use channel 1). But the KK also has a footswitchable "solo boost" gain pot/knob for channel 2 that is separate from the regular MV and dual gain controls, so that's pretty useful. And I think the KK has a few more tone-shaping options than the Yeti. I don't think the Yeti has the same Bite/Character/Feel options that the KK does.

Tonal difference is tough to say without A/Bing them together. I owned them at different times and played them through different cabs/speakers. I remember I definitely preferred Yeti with V30s, but don't remember how it was through my other cabs. I run the King Kong through a 70th Anniv. H30 cab, and it's great with that. Our practice space has one of those Marshall Vintage Modern 4x12s with the G12C speakers - I think the King Kong is good through that, but not as good as H30s. It actually sounded surprisingly good through my friend's Marshall 1936 with the stock T75s, and those cabs aren't supposed to be good. :dunno:

I have a Yeti 50 & can't say enough good things about it.

It goes from a vintage Plexi tone to hot rodded Marshall tones to a super saturated BE type tones, all for about a $1000.

If you told someone it was a secret boutique builder in the USA & they were charging $5000 for it, they'd be more popular.

Yeti is probably what you'd like. I would run higher voltages throughout the amp though. And change at least one of the mid-bright caps to 4700pF so you can get a more aggressive mid-range grind while keeping the other switch stock Yeti spec. Then maybe throw the tone-stack slope resistor on a switch so you can run the stock 47K and a lower value like 39K or 36K as another option for more mids. There are other tweaks here and there as well. But the amp is great as is too as this vid shows:

EyesOfTheSouth!":3jr43kyo said:
I have a 2204 clone and a 50 watt Yeti...........both with Nick's new tube buffered effects loop. Tones and loops are fantastic. For a few bucks more, you don't have to worry about the loop tone suck anymore. My Yeti is not that loud in 80's mode. I run the master at 75% in my house........lol. Plexi mode is insanely loud though. If you are gigging, I would go with the 100 watt Yeti.

If you buy new I believe you can get them with a buffered effects now . Not sure if it is tube buffered or not though .

I have the 1968 circuit in my 100W Super Lead that Nik built for me.

Nik is the BEST.

The only thing better are his amps!

I now want the Yeti or a Chupa, but with a little more bass that is tighter or faster.

I don't want loosy goosy low end.

I hope to place an order in the beginning of 2018.

I hope that helps.

Back