playing someone elses sig model guitar

I owned a Paul Gilbert fireman right around when they first came out, beautiful, excellent playing guitar but I just couldn't get over the fact that it was a Paul Gilbert signature

I've owned plenty of EVH sigs. Eddie designed a hell of a guitar just like les paul did. I've got no issue. Play whatever you want. I've got a G&L Canterell Superhawk and the thing absolutely rips!. Heck, Go play a Dean From Hell with the lightning pain job if that floats your boat.

I do like DJ's playing, but in all honesty his set up for the guitar is what I like. it is a dive only Floyd rose, with a single master volume and an EMG 81 bridge with sustainiac neck. he also has a killswitch built in, and the pickup selector is located where the EVH music man guitars are. Ashba is a HUGE EVH fan so you can see some styling cues in he build with it being a super strat style, and have the pickup selector where it is as well as the reverse 4x2 headstock. it is a killer looking guitar and fits my black and white theme for all of my gear, plus has all the stuff id need in it. imma go ahead and pull he trigger, fuck it !

My experience playing sigs out is almost nobody even knows. If I bust out a DeMartini Charvel, maybe a few girls will say "I like your pretty guitar" with no clue what it is, and maybe one older dude pushing 50 will say "that's the guitar from that guy in Motley Crüe, right?"

My Dean ML Dime Slime will usually get a few drunk guys shouting "Dime!" all night, and will refuse to let me play any other guitar for the rest of the night.

If you are playing a show involving lots of guitar nerds with crossed arms in the audience disapproving of your guitar selection, you're playing the wrong gig man.

One of my main guitars live is a PRS Tremonti. I could give 2 shits about Tremonti, but damn it's a good guitar. So I play it. All opposed can eat a bag of dicks.

I think signatures have both positives and negatives. I get the mentality of not wanting to play someone else's guitar. But at the same time, guitar manufacturers are so conservative, that signatures often have far more interesting specs than the standard line. So as long as something doesn't have overt logos or whatever, or is for a player I dislike as a person, I'd consider it.

For example, I walked into a store the day they first got the Misha Mansoor Jackson signatures in a couple years ago. I'd heard about the model but had no interest as I think Periphery is absolutely terrible, and I'm no fan of his playing either, despite the fact he seems like a really nice dude.. I checked it out since I was there though, thought it felt incredible, and bought it right there. (Still have it and love it after changing the pickups). In contrast, I'd never own a Hanneman, because I don't get down with what some of the imagery on his guitars represents - despite preferring him as a player a million times more than Mansoor.

I played alot of my sig models live and honestly didnt care who liked or didnt like it or what they thought.
I play what i like.

Les Zombie":1neto4cu said:
I played alot of my sig models live and honestly didnt care who liked or didnt like it or what they thought.
I play what i like.
This! Silly to pass on a well made guitar just because it’s a sig.

I can't wait for my Lee Malia explorer to get here...

DDgR829XUAAPGEg.jpg

If the guitar has everything you want it shouldn't matter if its an artist/signature model or not. I'm not big on sig paint jobs like EVH stripes or mimicked wear and tear but if you're into them that is all that should matter. I'd play a Malmesteen or Eric Johnson strat and would care what others though :)

I don’t care what anyone else plays, however, I’d feel like a douche playing a striped VH guitar. It’s the only guitar I feel that way about.

MYLILSS":1ds0vik7 said:
I do like DJ's playing, but in all honesty his set up for the guitar is what I like. it is a dive only Floyd rose, with a single master volume and an EMG 81 bridge with sustainiac neck. he also has a killswitch built in, and the pickup selector is located where the EVH music man guitars are. Ashba is a HUGE EVH fan so you can see some styling cues in he build with it being a super strat style, and have the pickup selector where it is as well as the reverse 4x2 headstock. it is a killer looking guitar and fits my black and white theme for all of my gear, plus has all the stuff id need in it. imma go ahead and pull he trigger, fuck it !

Me likes this one better
CHR_DJ.jpg

too bad there's only a US made version atm

psychodave":15l4pl2m said:
I don’t care what anyone else plays, however, I’d feel like a douche playing a striped VH guitar. It’s the only guitar I feel that way about.

Yeah me too. If you have that guitar you have to be able to back it up with the chops. :)

I play the ESP lynch Kamikaze. Absolutely love it! From the feel to the Tone.
Dj is really a cool cat. I bought a guitar directly off him years back.

I play an ESP Alexi Laiho sig model. Despite only liking one song that his band has put out ever. I wouldn’t care if anyone had a problem with it because it plays and sounds great plus Alexi seems to be an ok guy. On the other hand I love just about everything that Unearth has ever put out and Ken Susi has a great ESP sig model but I’d never own one because Ken is a douche bag of immense proportions. Fuck that dude and his great guitar.

Mailman1971":8lmin652 said:

Really ? Omg dude ! That's so badass man !!!

MYLILSS":c21aet0o said:
Mailman1971":c21aet0o said:

Really ? Omg dude ! That's so badass man !!!
Yup. It was the ‘skull and chains’ guitar that was on the inside of the first Lynch Pilson’ Album.
Lynch’s daughter was a big fan of Dj Ashba. And vice versa. That guitar was bad to the bone.
After I bought it. I was in contact with Dj for several years.
But just stopped talkin. :LOL: :LOL:
He offered me his personal Ernie Ball Music mans Now I think of it should of bought them all.

Back