VHT Pittbull CL vs. CLX

idnotbe

definitely, CL has 2 channels and CLX 3.
but besides that, what's the difference or pros/cons?

- tonal difference between Red/Green of CL and Rhythm/Lead of CLX
- any differences in the power sections ?
- what else should i consider ?

i am not a super high gain player.
BE-100 is just right in terms of the range of gain.
let's say... Jeff Beck, AC/DC, VH, Joe Satch... (not aiming the exact tone, but just saying that kind of music )

i am considering VHT label old ones because they are cheap.

idnotbe":2odryzds said:
definitely, CL has 2 channels and CLX 3.
but besides that, what's the difference or pros/cons?

- tonal difference between Red/Green of CL and Rhythm/Lead of CLX
- any differences in the power sections ?
- what else should i consider ?

i am not a super high gain player.
BE-100 is just right in terms of the range of gain.
let's say... Jeff Beck, AC/DC, VH, Joe Satch... (not aiming the exact tone, but just saying that kind of music )

i am considering VHT label old ones because they are cheap.

I wouldn't use a VHT for any of those influences. The CL's have a pretty tight controlled distortion and IMO don't excel at medium gain tones that have some rawness to them. The amp that immediately jumped out at me with what you said is either a JVM 210/205 or 410. They do medium gain well, have a decent clean and obviously have a crap ton of gain on tap IF you want it. The 200 series can easily be had for under 1K

They're not my favorite Marshalls, but for the versatility in what they can do I would gig with one and be pretty happy.

I have a Mesa Stiletto Deuce. That I also think could be another candidate for what you seem to be after. They can had for under 1K as well.

mchn13":36pwj64m said:
Vht d60 or d120 in less mode, plus a boost does all that imo.
Agree with this, totally disagree with the other post. Either the CL or CLX will work for you, the CLX just has an extra high gain channel. I'd take either over a JVM or Mesa all day.

uhm...
the general consensus seems that Pittbull is not the top choice for AC/DC, VH, Satch kind of music.

i heard CLX has a bit looser feel than the other VHT/Fryette and is good for hard rock.
isn't it true??

Ceriatone Yeti/Chupa is the first choice that got into my mind for that kind of music. Hot rodded marshall tones for days and more gain than you'll ever need

idnotbe":14pi5pol said:
uhm...
the general consensus seems that Pittbull is not the top choice for AC/DC, VH, Satch kind of music.

i heard CLX has a bit looser feel than the other VHT/Fryette and is good for hard rock.
isn't it true??

I think the CLX is tighter than the ultra lead... CLX is more aggressive maybe because of the EL34 mids ?

The CL50 will sound more forgiving and switched to 30watts rect mode will have thicker tones.

Getta Deliverance 60 since mostly says its got more sag

hopkinWFG":1wx3eimd said:
idnotbe":1wx3eimd said:
uhm...

isn't it true??

I think the CLX is tighter than the ultra lead... CLX is more aggressive maybe because of the EL34 mids ?

The CL50 will sound more forgiving and switched to 30watts rect mode will have thicker tones.

CLX is not tighter than the UL. It is for sure a bit more spongy. Definitely more mid growl from the EL34 power section, but tighter, no. The UL is the tighter of the two.

I've got the VHT CL100 w/ EQ. I set it up in reverse as to most people. I use the green channel as my dirt and the red as my clean. Its not the best clean, but it works. The green channel has more cut to it and I use the EQ similar to a V shape on a Mark series. it pairs really well with my charvel Star and SD Screamin Demon. The amp has a tone of gain, but it feels different to every other high gain amp you've played.

garey77":1i63g2px said:
hopkinWFG":1i63g2px said:
idnotbe":1i63g2px said:
uhm...

isn't it true??

CLX is not tighter than the UL. It is for sure a bit more spongy. Definitely more mid growl from the EL34 power section, but tighter, no. The UL is the tighter of the two.

Mmmm maybe i cant differentiate... haha i can definately hear the CLX being more harmonically rich and "more bite" more aggressive ? Than the UL as said probably due to the EL34 flavour...

The UL has purely sheer power and its more modern without the mids emphasis as what i can relate to most users whom described them as...

I just cant notice the amount of tightness difference between these two beast but i can definately hear difference the UL CLX vs the 50CL...

I did a comparison played few power chords and i cant notice the tightness thou... maybe i post the recording here later

so, is CLX too tight for AC/DC, VH, Satch kind of music?
if CLX does not have some airiness for that kind of music or it skip that amount of gain, i'll give up pursuing the amp.

i owned Friedman BE-100, Suhr PT100, Carol Ann Triptik , Bray 4550, Landry G3... they are not tight at all and sit well in my music style.
Sommatone Outlaw is the only amp that is TOO tight and NO middle gain level for me.

Can't compare to the other VHT/Fryette models, but as said the D60 will do that stuff and more all day long. Less mode or less mode with a boost is a beautiful classic rock/hard rock machine. Rockin & raw as hell :rock: Plus you get the choice to boost it some more or flip to more mode and revel in metal heaven :rock:

idnotbe":2xr8oq3v said:
if CLX does not have some airiness for that kind of music or it skip that amount of gain, i'll give up pursuing the amp.

i owned Friedman BE-100, Suhr PT100, Carol Ann Triptik , Bray 4550, Landry G3... they are not tight at all and sit well in my music style.
Sommatone Outlaw is the only amp that is TOO tight and NO middle gain level for me.

You're going backwards if these amps didn't fit the bill and you're now looking at VHT. Or...as much as you like those artists to be your influences they don't reflect what you actually play or want in a tone for yourself..

I owned a CLX head for a couple of years. It was a killer amp. I had a VHT Fat Bottom 2x12 that matched really well with it. I would own one of those again for sure. I have played a CL on a few occasions and really liked it too. If I had the chance I would easily own a VHT/Fryette again.

idnotbe":1z5fy3a9 said:

Maybe the problem is not the amp,,, :poke:

Back