Metropoulos Metroplex

SavageRiffer

Banned
I've been wanting one of these for a while. I've played a couple and they've always sounded great. There are a lot of great Marshall style amps out there, but I think there's just something really great about the sound and feel of the Metroplex. I can't seem to catch a good deal on one when I've got the cash. Anyway, from those of you who've owned one, what are your thoughts? Did you sell or trade it, and if so, for what and did you regret it?

Zado":2shvsoyj said:
mooncobra":2shvsoyj said:
I got rid of mine ASAP. Sounded good, but I didn't like the feel of it.
Please explain

Yeah, I'd like to understand more about that statement too because one of the things I liked about the Metroplex was how it felt. I remember they were different several years back and weren't very good at low volume, but then they made some changes and then they sounded great at low volume. It seemed like one of those amps that didn't need a lot of gain to have a liquid feel.

I liked mine. Sold it for another wizard at the time. Needed more gain :)

But it’s really awesome. Miss mine :/

That circuit doesn't have much compression for the amount of gain, this throws some people off. I'm probably using the terms in the wrong way. There is a ton of harmonic content/gain available, but not that super-clipped compressed thing. You still have dynamics.

Rdodson":35eho4y0 said:
That circuit doesn't have much compression for the amount of gain, this throws some people off. I'm probably using the terms in the wrong way. There is a ton of harmonic content/gain available, but not that super-clipped compressed thing. You still have dynamics.

Yep. This is something I'm slowly starting to appreciate. I'm starting to prefer amps like the Smallbox which I can use an overdrive to get the gain and compression I want. Something I'm starting to hate are high-output pickups that push the amp too hard and compress a lot. It wasn't something I necessarily audibly perceived either, but I'm starting to be able to perceive the difference. Some amps are like the Metropoulos, but have a weird kind of transparency with higher gain... kind of like when you use a distortion pedal on a very clean amp and it sounds like it won't let the pedal color the sound too much. The Metroplex has a nice flavor at high gain, so I like that a lot.

peterc52":ncuszobb said:
I liked mine. Sold it for another wizard at the time. Needed more gain :)

But it’s really awesome. Miss mine :/
The Wizard is one of the amps I'd LOVE to try....

I have one and love it (its not going anywhere) and there are a bunch of sounds on tap - its way more than a one trick Marshall clone. If you get a used one make sure it has the 66/68 switch (it gives you more variation on tones). If I want to run a gain pedal for a little more gain I like to have it in the 66 mode (which is less gain than the 68 side). That combined with the variac and the half power switch you can really dial in the amp to the exact feel you are looking for. If you are looking for high gain (I guess this is a relative term) don't get this amp, it wasn't designed for it. If you want classic Marshall to modded VH type sounds get this amp.

So is it safe to say it has a tad tighter feel to it because it isnt as compressed? I know the amp sounds 100% kick ass. My playing isnt the most precise so it seems a more compressed marshall sound is what I feel i dont have work so hard. And legatto that I dont have is harder to even work at. I wish i could play one of these. No question its a masterpiece and the builder is very a great player as well as builder.

I think that if you want the compressed thing and dig that unreal harmonic sound that those holy-grail Marshalls have, then you can always run a pedal in front of a Metroplex. The Wampler Ego Compressor is so good, and will do the trick. It is the go-to for a ton of Nashville guys. Also, a dirt pedal in front of the 66 setting is crazy-cool as well. The bottom line is that George has replicated that '68 circuit with all it's harmonic glory with a better EQ, a standard-setting loop, and some pre-amp flexibility. If you dig the tone of Cream-era Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson, and Angus Young, then look no further.

May be worth a try but honestly i have never been much for pedals for feel. Like time based effects in a good loop and a wa in front not much else really. I tried it with a smallbox as everyone recommended and it was decent. When i switched to the BE100 it was more of what i was after. My playing is the hurtle of course , i sure would enjoy playing the metro regardless. :)

I play the Metroplex and all I can say that this amp kicks ass. You have basically 3 modes: 66/68/Mod and an internal booster. You can read up the specs, I won't go into that, but what makes this amp outstanding is:
- The Master Volume is very good. I can't explain it technically but it just works. At lower volumes the sound is still very complex and only the silent version of the cranked amp. A very big plus. Its just that good, This alone is worth a lot, you def. won't need an attenuator with this amp.
- The Hot Rodded Super Lead 68era and beyond is the strength of the amp. This raw sticky upper mid pronounced sound, not overly compressed but with lots of harmonics. What a joy to play if one can appreciate it and has the right technique. With th booster you get liquid lead sounds of it, think 80s hard rock
- The loop is very transparent
- the build quality, the quality of components, high quality pots, and so on, the labouring to recreate THE brown Marshall sound, its just a very well made amp which you can see, feel and hear.

If you want this complex, rich, natural and raw uncompressed Marshall sound we all love from the famous records, this is the amp to go. Ist not hyped with strong bass frequencies, it just sits well in the mix, its all about the complex mids. Go for it I would say.

Here is a good representation of the MOD mode of the amp. The first half without the boost engaged sounds good, don't you think? With Boost on 10 its too much for my taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5irW68YxY

born_hard":37t5o7dw said:
I play the Metroplex and all I can say that this amp kicks ass. You have basically 3 modes: 66/68/Mod and an internal booster. You can read up the specs, I won't go into that, but what makes this amp outstanding is:
- The Master Volume is very good. I can't explain it technically but it just works. At lower volumes the sound is still very complex and only the silent version of the cranked amp. A very big plus. Its just that good, This alone is worth a lot, you def. won't need an attenuator with this amp.
- The Hot Rodded Super Lead 68era and beyond is the strength of the amp. This raw sticky upper mid pronounced sound, not overly compressed but with lots of harmonics. What a joy to play if one can appreciate it and has the right technique. With th booster you get liquid lead sounds of it, think 80s hard rock
- The loop is very transparent
- the build quality, the quality of components, high quality pots, and so on, the labouring to recreate THE brown Marshall sound, its just a very well made amp which you can see, feel and hear.

If you want this complex, rich, natural and raw uncompressed Marshall sound we all love from the famous records, this is the amp to go. Ist not hyped with strong bass frequencies, it just sits well in the mix, its all about the complex mids. Go for it I would say.

Here is a good representation of the MOD mode of the amp. The first half without the boost engaged sounds good, don't you think? With Boost on 10 its too much for my taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5irW68YxY

When I played a 2015 Metroplex, I had noticed a MUCH better master volume than the one I'd previously played. I didn't need to click the boost on as it had enough gain and the feel was responsive enough to not need the extra gain. There's something about a Marshall that sounds so good up until a certain degree of gain which, at that point, becomes too much. That's why I always try to feel out an amp with low gain first to see how it responds to my fingers and picking mechanics. Some amps don't feel right until they're gained out or very loud. George Metropoulos seems to have taken so many nuances into account that the amp is rather bulletproof in my opinion. I think I'm going to have to find a way to get one. I NEED a Metroplex.

Watched a ton of vids on this thing. I think the Marshall JVM sounds better. I got recordings of my old JVM that blow this thing away. The Boost mode sounds like a bassy fuzz box.

copilot":39rtifat said:
Watched a ton of vids on this thing. I think the Marshall JVM sounds better. I got recordings of my old JVM that blow this thing away. The Boost mode sounds like a bassy fuzz box.

OK let's hear your old recordings because I think the Metroplex sounds amazing, so if your old JVM blows it away, that would be extremely badass.

SavageRiffer":3q3totm4 said:
copilot":3q3totm4 said:

OK let's hear your old recordings because I think the Metroplex sounds amazing, so if your old JVM blows it away, that would be extremely badass.

That would be, in my opinion. Anyway, having just sold 4 amps (Ceriatone Plexi 50, Hi-Tone JP-50, Vintage Modern 100 watt and Jubilee RI 100 watt) I'm in the market for a Marshall or clone or something like this Metroplex. IMO, only Lance's demos sound decent. Haven't heard anything else that sounds good to me, and IMO that FET Boost mode reeks.

This was my old JVM I got as part of a RT group buy w/ Steve VHT getting everybody a break on the price. 10 years ago or so. I sold the amp after a year but I still have a few demos. This is a demo of a few modes w/ a Dimarzio loaded Yngwie Strat, warts and all. Also a Deep Purple tune w/ the same gear, JVM and Yngwie Strat.

copilot":1ki1tmp6 said:
SavageRiffer":1ki1tmp6 said:
copilot":1ki1tmp6 said:

That would be, in my opinion. Anyway, having just sold 4 amps (Ceriatone Plexi 50, Hi-Tone JP-50, Vintage Modern 100 watt and Jubilee RI 100 watt) I'm in the market for a Marshall or clone or something like this Metroplex. IMO, only Lance's demos sound decent. Haven't heard anything else that sounds good to me, and IMO that FET Boost mode reeks.

This was my old JVM I got as part of a RT group buy w/ Steve VHT getting everybody a break on the price. 10 years ago or so. I sold the amp after a year but I still have a few demos. This is a demo of a few modes w/ a Dimarzio loaded Yngwie Strat, warts and all. Also a Deep Purple tune w/ the same gear, JVM and Yngwie Strat.

Who did the actual demo?

SavageRiffer":hm9wh9t4 said:
copilot":hm9wh9t4 said:
SavageRiffer":hm9wh9t4 said:
copilot":hm9wh9t4 said:

Who did the actual demo?

My demos. Me playing......whatever year the amp came out. About 11 years ago.

Back