A third SL-X goes under the knife! REVOICED!

My third rebuild of a Marshall JCM900 SL-X. This one was modded before and upgraded with Mullard mustard caps.

Untitled-1-1-1-1024x678.jpg

Untitled-1-16-1024x678.jpg

Here it is before my modification.

Untitled-1-6-1-1024x678.jpg

Here are the parts I took out of this amp.

Untitled-1-3-1-1024x678.jpg

Here it is after my modification.

Untitled-1-4-1-1024x678.jpg

Untitled-1-5-1-1024x678.jpg

Untitled-1-2-1-1024x678.jpg

The whole preamp circuit is revoiced and changed to get a tight and focused distortion that is very dynamic and versatile.
You can play anything from metal, classic rock, broken up cleans and crisp clean just turning the two gain controls.
The power amp is also revoiced and got a punch control which gives you great control over the bottom end.
The power supply got some new electrolytic caps with higher voltage and temperature specs as well.

Guitar: Greco EGF1000 / Hagström Swede, straight into the amp.
TC G-major II in the loop for some delays.
Cab: Malmberg 4x12 with old Greenbacks.
Mics: Golden Age R1 mkIII, Tascam DR-40

I've revoiced this amp to be a dynamic metal monster :D I've installed a choke as well.

I use an SLX for my main OD amp. I think this sounds really good, but I don't hear a drastic difference personally. It does sound a bit more "tight" and compressed, if I had to say. If I were in the room, I quite possibly would hear more. I have been telling people for years that the SLX takes pedals well, and I feel as though you could achieve a lot of these differences with various OD pedals. With that said I am a huge fan of your modded amps.

Dam!
That amp is killer Henric, well done ;)
I was curious as to the change to 50 watts also (?)

It was 50 watts to start. The SL-X 2100 and 2500 use the same chassis, with the holes plugged on the 2500.

These amps and clips sound SO good...very well done on all accounts.

To OP - does having the TC in the loop impact or discolor the tone of the amp? I found the TC Major had a significant impact on degrading the sound of my amp and ultimately got rid of it. I'm wondering what your take is. Thanks in advance.

shred-o-holic":1aw6x8xl said:
I don't why people bag on the 900 so much. IME it's a good amp and your mods sound great.
Thanks! I don't care so much for the other JCM900 amps who have clipping diodes and work more or less like a distortion pedal. The SL-X has a all tube distortion circuit, 4 gain stages + cathode follower.

psmith68":2sxk8nyf said:
These amps and clips sound SO good...very well done on all accounts.

To OP - does having the TC in the loop impact or discolor the tone of the amp? I found the TC Major had a significant impact on degrading the sound of my amp and ultimately got rid of it. I'm wondering what your take is. Thanks in advance.

Thank you! With a good designed loop I don't think it discolor the tone that much. It cut some of the lowest bass frequencies but I compensates that on the amp. I mostly use it for delays since I don't find the other effects sound that good.

I've revoiced this amp to be a dynamic metal monster :D I've installed a choke as well.

Guitar straight into the amp, nothing in the loop and no post sound editing.
Playing thru my new Hermansson 4x12 with Celestion G12-35XC Limited Edition

Back