Friedman Runt 50 vs Marshall 1987X

Just a thought... what about a reissue Marshall Silver Jubilee? I have no idea what prices are like in Europe, but I'd think they'd be easy enough to find. I could be completely wrong, but I think that'd get you pretty close to the kind of tone you seem to be describing.

I tried the Runt 50 at launch and was also disappointed with the lack of gain. I was also looking to get into metal/aggressive stuff without the use of pedals/boost etc.... but I thought I read somewhere that Dave changed the voicing or something with the newer Runts?

errrrrl":12ho6rcb said:
I tried the Runt 50 at launch and was also disappointed with the lack of gain. I was also looking to get into metal/aggressive stuff without the use of pedals/boost etc.... but I thought I read somewhere that Dave changed the voicing or something with the newer Runts?
I’m pretty sure it was never intended to be a metal amp.

LP Freak":3cvl4rcn said:
errrrrl":3cvl4rcn said:
I’m pretty sure it was never intended to be a metal amp.
Yeah I definitely see it that way now... at that time before it's release there wasn't a whole lot of info regarding it's gain or target audience. Most of the chatter was PCB vs hardwired. I was rocking a PT20 back then and was hoping to move to a Runt hoping for just a tad bit more gain. Ended up sticking with the PT20.

Funny how the guy asks for a classic rock amp, and everyone here assumes he wants death metal brutal. Get the Runt, and stick a Metal Zone in front when you want to play cookie monster stuff.

Kelly":286ahcin said:
Funny how the guy asks for a classic rock amp, and everyone here assumes he wants death metal brutal. Get the Runt, and stick a Metal Zone in front when you want to play cookie monster stuff.
Yup. He said aggressive but never said modern death metal. He also never asked for reco's on anything other than these 2 amps which is why I kept saying Runt! LOL!

Kelly":2fqzdjen said:
My bad... I saw he wanted aggressive and well who doesn't love cookie monster laying down the brutez?

G62P2mw1bw-2.png

mchn13":6nrgfuij said:
1987x with a master installed, and a couple boost pedals. Classic for a reason.
:rock:

Between those two I'd go with the Marshall. With the loop, and so many great boost pedals out there it'd be all you need.

ChurchHill":23vgl7ac said:
Just a thought... what about a reissue Marshall Silver Jubilee? I have no idea what prices are like in Europe, but I'd think they'd be easy enough to find. I could be completely wrong, but I think that'd get you pretty close to the kind of tone you seem to be describing.

That one was my first choice... and still kind of is... But started to check more vintage voiced ones and here I am.

Kelly":1f6u9rl7 said:
Just a good ol' amp with some balls... Like a modded classic, for instance.
That´s it! I'll discard the Recto for a Metal Zone and my finances will increase significantly!
This guy's a genius!

I played a Runt 50 a year ago, and then played an 87 2204 right next to it at a GC in the twin cities. The Runt was decent but a bit sterile/polite compared to the vintage 800. Once I put some volume to each it was Marshall for the win.
If you want a Marshall tone, get the real thing.

Racerxrated":1pp31d89 said:
I played a Runt 50 a year ago, and then played an 87 2204 right next to it at a GC in the twin cities. The Runt was decent but a bit sterile/polite compared to the vintage 800. Once I put some volume to each it was Marshall for the win.
If you want a Marshall tone, get the real thing.

Yeah... I'm leaning to the Marshall.

As a comparison I built my buddy a 1959slp with PPIMV, and I have a BE100 clone that I built. We have a few bands we jam together in every once in a while.
His plexi stomps the fuck all over my BE100 clone when we play together.

So, if you want refined more polite tone do the Friedman, if you wan't raw Angry tone do the Marshall. You'll want some sort of master volume on the Marshall.

MichaelR/T":1ci4oz2b said:
gibson5413":1ci4oz2b said:

I'd go this route as well. I'd work with Michael too.
napalmdeath":1ci4oz2b said:

Yep, I'd be all over that..

Thank you for the kind words guys. :thumbsup:
I think the OP would be really happy with an amp head like this.

Definitely a real nice tone! Don't know the speakers but assume those are Vintage 30's. Maybe with a Les Paul (my main guitar) it will become a little bassier and robust... Suspect those are high output pickups also. A really interesting mod, for sure.
Good work!

Thank you all for the advices and to make my decision even harder ahah... The tone quest is always a hard one.

Back