Friedman Runt 50 vs Marshall 1987X

I took my 1987xl off eBay and Reverb yesterday, because I decided I can't part with it. I also recently got a JCM2000 DSL 100 and a 100H, both with OT and choke mods. I was going to flip the one that didn't sound best. Now I'm probably going to flip them both and keep the 1987xl. Sure, both DSLs are way more versatile, and the 1987xl require me to use the guitar volume knob for cleans or run a low input in the amp and then boost with a pedal for high gain stuff. But man, that amp is just the sound of rock n roll. I have a THD Hot Plate and the 1987xl sounds great through it. But I work from home and can crank my amps when Mrs. Lee is at the office. So I often just use a pair of cheap, foam earplugs, a lexan shield in front of my 4x12 and then run my heads at full band volume. That 1987xl just slays. They're reasonably priced, small and portable. What's not to like? I love Friedmans too, but you can get the Marshall and several really nice pedals for less $$. You'll never lose money on the Marshall, if you decide to sell later.

Rick Lee":2y5tzqc3 said:
I took my 1987xl off eBay and Reverb yesterday, because I decided I can't part with it. I also recently got a JCM2000 DSL 100 and a 100H, both with OT and choke mods. I was going to flip the one that didn't sound best. Now I'm probably going to flip them both and keep the 1987xl. Sure, both DSLs are way more versatile, and the 1987xl require me to use the guitar volume knob for cleans or run a low input in the amp and then boost with a pedal for high gain stuff. But man, that amp is just the sound of rock n roll. I have a THD Hot Plate and the 1987xl sounds great through it. But I work from home and can crank my amps when Mrs. Lee is at the office. So I often just use a pair of cheap, foam earplugs, a lexan shield in front of my 4x12 and then run my heads at full band volume. That 1987xl just slays. They're reasonably priced, small and portable. What's not to like? I love Friedmans too, but you can get the Marshall and several really nice pedals for less $$. You'll never lose money on the Marshall, if you decide to sell later.

I agree 100%. You can get a 1987X for $1200 or less, and multiple pedals and save a ton of money over Friedman. And, I believe the Marshall would kick it's ass in every way.

I have owned a 1987x. A few things to consider. It is blisteringly loud. You will need a good attenuator to get it into the "zone." Even then, if you want something more "modern" you will need a pedal. It is a great sounding amp, and can deliver that Marshall tone that we all grew up on, but a good pedal in front will get it really cooking. Something like the Wampler Tumnus would work great for that.

CrazyNutz":2hxbu2m2 said:
As a comparison I built my buddy a 1959slp with PPIMV, and I have a BE100 clone that I built. We have a few bands we jam together in every once in a while.
His plexi stomps the fuck all over my BE100 clone when we play together.

So, if you want refined more polite tone do the Friedman, if you wan't raw Angry tone do the Marshall. You'll want some sort of master volume on the Marshall.

So you’re saying get a Marshall because a buddies Marshall stomps the fuck out of your clone?
Really? :thumbsdown:

Lau4":1mez7xt2 said:
Definitely a real nice tone! Don't know the speakers but assume those are Vintage 30's. Maybe with a Les Paul (my main guitar) it will become a little bassier and robust... Suspect those are high output pickups also. A really interesting mod, for sure.
Good work!

Thank you all for the advices and to make my decision even harder ahah... The tone quest is always a hard one.

Thank you!
The speakers I'm using are Celestion G12M 25w 75hz greenbacks.
If you're going to use a LP maybe try a JTM45 instead.
I like these style amps with a LP a lot better than the 50w lead 1987 circuit.

MichaelR/T":fkdzt5ql said:
Lau4":fkdzt5ql said:
Definitely a real nice tone! Don't know the speakers but assume those are Vintage 30's. Maybe with a Les Paul (my main guitar) it will become a little bassier and robust... Suspect those are high output pickups also. A really interesting mod, for sure.
Good work!

Thank you all for the advices and to make my decision even harder ahah... The tone quest is always a hard one.

Thank you!
The speakers I'm using are Celestion G12M 25w 75hz greenbacks.
If you're going to use a LP maybe try a JTM45 instead.
I like these style amps with a LP a lot better than the 50w lead 1987 circuit.

The good old Greenbacks. Those are always a match to the classic Marshall heads. Keep the hi mids controllable. Thought of the v30's because of the aesthetics of the cab. Normally the ones with greenbacks come with the grey grill.
The JTM45 with LP... Now, I know that the JTM45 have more bass in it... with a LP it should become even more.
This of playing guitar with tube amps (or others ones) have always three sides (at least for me). Playing alone - mostly at home, playing in a band and playing in a band with another guitarist. I live on the last two and that's mainly because of that, that I'm migrating to a rig more perceptive and with more clarity. More prominent and punchy. My Mesa is always my Mesa, I hope to never sell it and its good at what it does but we are always evolving (I think) and so does the tone in your head... Or your necessity to show better your expression or the already referred evolution as a musician is more urgent. The tone overly compressed and modern of the Rectifier suits well some applications - or tastes, others not quite...
This to say that the LP might sound a lot better with the JTM45... but it depend on the context. Alone, it might sound fuller and give the perception of a bigger sound but, in a band, could get lost in a mix or to not stand out the way you want it.
But, very good work with that mod, would be interesting to hear it in a mix.

SFW":29nnvfx5 said:
I have owned a 1987x. A few things to consider. It is blisteringly loud. You will need a good attenuator to get it into the "zone." Even then, if you want something more "modern" you will need a pedal. It is a great sounding amp, and can deliver that Marshall tone that we all grew up on, but a good pedal in front will get it really cooking. Something like the Wampler Tumnus would work great for that.

This^

I haven't owned a 1987x but I did own a NMV 77-78 JMP 50 and its that classic Marshall sound but only at venue level volumes on its own. My Germino (JMP-50 clone) is the same thing. Needs to be on 6-7 on the volume knob before you get into that classic breakup. Greg himself even warned me before I bought it that it would be loud, really loud before getting into crunch.

My solution was switching to Greenback Heritage speakers and hitting the amp hard with a TS. Using it like this has given me that open, crunchy, aggressive, vintage classic rock tone in spades at manageable volumes.

I played a DS 40w a while back and its a far cry from that classic vibe of the older Marshall/Marshall clone vibe, but man it was AWESOME, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! Way more gain than the vintage Marshall vintage circuits (Obviously), but if your after that "purest" aggressive classic rock vibe, well...

Dude just get a real marshall. This is my last band, and I'm using a 1987x with a master, and a maxon od808. Just to show it can do heavier as well. I just dialed in an ac/dc kinda tone and boosted it. Only reason I don't have one anymore is my Vht does everything it did plus more modern metal tones in a similar simple setup.
OOPS EDITED:

MichaelR/T":3g906ow4 said:

Wow that sounds awesome! Thats a non master volume amp, what are you boosting it with? Love that sound!

Just watched again and you did an "RT" mod?

Back