NGD x2 (Parts Builds)

PatF

I'm getting close on these two kit builds from Precision Guitar Kits. I have some questions regarding the Tele.

Should I use threaded inserts for the neck and bridge?

Any pickup recommendations? I like the single coil sound but am not really too purist about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,031
Those look nice. I'm curious what you think of the quality of the parts. Those kits are nicely priced.

Neck screws: I've only ever used standard wood screws on necks. They've always been fine. I've had to dowel stripped out holes and drill new ones before, but that's only on parts necks that have seen multiple guitars over their lifetimes and had different screw locations. So, I don't have a strong opinion there.

Pickups: I'm a metal guy so mostly have strong opinions on humbuckers. However, I have an old Jackson strat that is a true S/S/S strat setup. I went through dozens of pickups in that guitar at one point in the 90's (wow, it's been a while, huh!) and ended up with a set of Joe Bardens in it as the best single coil sound (also noiseless) that I've found. I've been thinking about a tele lately and been thinking hard about putting Bardens in the tele if I do it. However, they're expensive!

A lot of luthiers seem soured on the inserts idea. Apparently they must be installed perfectly or any supposed benefit is lost. And at the end of the day, you still need to screw something metal into something wooden, either a simple screw or the threaded insert.

Neck screws in theory shouldn't just strip out. Don't torque them down too hard, and start the screws by hand (try gently rotating them counter-clockwise in the hole and you'll feel them "click" into the previously cut threads, then tighten).

Thanks. Timely advice on the inserts.

Bardens seem like a solid choice. I was thinking DiMarzio Hot Area T and a Strat Area neck, Fishman Fluence, Kinmans, or the Duncan Little 59s. So that makes the choice even harder.

rstites - The quality of the parts is excellent. Customer service is really good too. Good outfit to buy from. We had a little mix up and he went out of his way to take care of me.

Definitely a single coil for the tele bridge man. Great rock sound out of a tele. I really just like the Tex mex tele pickup. Simple, cheap, and sounds great with some dirt on it.

I'm not a country guy, mostly rock and metal. But I like to keep a tele around for when I need a guitar for a Tom Petty or Black Crowes type classic rock thing, or just a single coil vibe in general. For this application, my fave pickup set has been a Fender Custom shop No-Caster bridge pickup, and a Dimarzio Twang King for the neck. The No-Caster is hot and fat with a bit of p90 vibe, and the Twang King is kind of a cross between a tele and a strat neck pu. Not sure this would be too popular with the twangy crowd, but for what I need, it's perfect.

Cool. I'm temped by the true single coils. I've been messing with the dummy coil thing on a junker Strat and haven't been successful yet. Most of my playing time is at my workbench in front of an open amp, so I've been stuck in the noiseless mindset. I'm a rock / metal guy too. I think a twangy Tele sounds killer through a grinding Marshall.

For the LP I'm set with pickups. My good buddy brought me a bunch of different humbuckers to try out and I already had a few. I have 4 Duncans, 4 DiMarzio, 2 Suhr, 2 Gibsons, Stew Mac Golden Age, and some GFS. I'm going to try to document a comparison.

There's def something about a good Tele and a great Marshall. I'll second the Barden and Fender No-Caster recommendations and I'll add the BKP Flat 50s. The Bardens aren't very forgiving, but sound great in capable hands. The Fenders and BKPs will easily get into Page territory and beyond, rude and brash. :)

Thanks ChurchHill, I do like the Barden idea and I'll check into some BKP's.

Anybody get a dummy coil setup to work properly?

Awesome builds man!
As for pickups I would try a Lace Sensor Burgundy. I've change out all my single coil guitars to Lace because while I love the sound of single coils I hate the 60 cycle hum. It drives me insane. I put a Burgundy in the bridge of my Tele. It's still has the Tele twang but with more balls :)

Both guitars are already finished. I used Arm-R-Seal on the LP and Rockler's Sam Maloof Blend on the Tele. They are a mixture of oil and urethane thinned for wipe on application. Really easy and forgiving finishes. Plain Jane but foolproof.

I didn't mention before, the LP is a Honduras Mahogany body, quartersawn African Mahogany neck, Pau Ferro fretboard, and a plain Eastern Hard Maple top. I told him I didn't care about flame, I just wanted the heaviest piece he could find. The Tele is Alder / Maple.

Thanks for the Lace tip Traveller. :rock:

The hardware list. On the LP I used regular Gotoh bridge and tailpeice but used locking studs from GFS for the bridge and locking tailpiece studs from Philadelphia Luthier Supply. 50 bucks total. Gotoh keystine tuners.

Telecaster has Kluson / TonePros vintage style but with 10mm threaded bushing tuners, a Philadelphia Luthier Supply bridge plate and Gotoh titanium compensated saddles.

Back