Creamback 75 or Redback?

djpatb

Which one sounds closer to the H30 Anniversary speaker?
I like the V30/Anniversary mix in a 412, so I'm trying to figure out if the H75 or Redback mixes better with a V30 in a 212.
Thanks.

The G12H75 Creamback is a higher powered G12H, and will sound closer to the Anniv. H30. The Redback is more neutral sounding, as compared to the H Creamback.

I don't know which of those two speakers sounds closer to an H30 70th anny, but I can tell you I am starting to replace all my H30 70th anniversaries with Creamback H75s. I find the top end of those H30s can hurt and sound somewhat harsh at times, but with the H75, I still get all that top end that I like, without the harshness.

I have a V30/H75 mix in a Suhr closed back 2x12 and the same combo in a Bogner 2x12 Goldfinger cab (which is open back). Both sound great.

Bumping for recent experiences with the Redback. I have the V30/H75 mix in my Bogner 2x12 with my BE50 and it can get bright at gig volume. I’m turning the highs and mids down a bit and I think the speakers are doing more crunch than I like and I like to run my preamp gain high on the amp.

I’m thinking of mixing the Redback with the H75. The H75 is tight and clear with more relaxed mids.

Or maybe the V30/Redback mix is better.

The BE50 is neither polished or polite. It’s aggressive. It can’t certainly cut and get bright if need be.

I’ve had a Redback and H75 in a 2x12 for a few months now. Played a few gigs and rehearsed with them enough that they should be broken (or close to it) by now. They’re both fantastic. I give the edge to the Redback. That’s probably because I’m using a bright amp (SLO). As some have said, it’s even across the board, no spikes in any frequencies, but still has the Celestion bite. It’s my favorite speaker I’ve used yet with the SLO, and she’s picky about speakers. The H75 has got a good bit of high end, kinda glassy, dare I say almost brittle. It’ll cut your head off if you want to. If I were mixing with a V30, I’d probably go with the H75 because it’s high end is closer to the V30 than a Redback.

Edit...just read the post above again, skimmed the first time. Get the Redback and mix it with the H75. It’ll smooth out those highs for you but still be bright enough to cut. You’ll have deeper lows, too.

Mr. Willy":beszl43t said:
I’ve had a Redback and H75 in a 2x12 for a few months now. Played a few gigs and rehearsed with them enough that they should be broken (or close to it) by now. They’re both fantastic. I give the edge to the Redback. That’s probably because I’m using a bright amp (SLO). As some have said, it’s even across the board, no spikes in any frequencies, but still has the Celestion bite. It’s my favorite speaker I’ve used yet with the SLO, and she’s picky about speakers. The H75 has got a good bit of high end, kinda glassy, dare I say almost brittle. It’ll cut your head off if you want to. If I were mixing with a V30, I’d probably go with the H75 because it’s high end is closer to the V30 than a Redback.

Edit...just read the post above again, skimmed the first time. Get the Redback and mix it with the H75. It’ll smooth out those highs for you but still be bright enough to cut. You’ll have deeper lows, too.

Thanks, brother. That’s what I was thinking too. I know the V30/GB mix is popular with the Friedman amps, and I think that mix would the tits as well, but I like the H75 over the M65 CB and I think the Redback will add some low mids and allow me to run more range in my EQ.

I know some say the Redback is neutral, but does it have any mids to help it cut?

Junk Yard Dog":99vxqex6 said:
Mr. Willy":99vxqex6 said:

Thanks, brother. That’s what I was thinking too. I know the V30/GB mix is popular with the Friedman amps, and I think that mix would the tits as well, but I like the H75 over the M65 CB and I think the Redback will add some low mids and allow me to run more range in my EQ.

I know some say the Redback is neutral, but does it have any mids to help it cut?

Hmmm...it is very neutral. I’d say flat mids, round top, big deep bottom. It’s defintely not scooped. It cuts by being big and bold, as opposed to, say, a V30 which cuts by those sharp high mids. When I first jammed through it, I thought it was dark. But I’d been playing through RI Greenbacks, V30s, and H75s. I dig the H75s a lot, but I like the Redback so much I’d really like to just get another and have two in my 2x12. I like brighter amps, though. V30s and H75s can get really biting in the highs when you start to crank the SLO up. That’s not a knock, I love those two speakers. But I like the Redback more than both the louder it gets. It seems that with the Redback I’m getting a “truer” sound of my amp than other speakers that have more peaks and valleys, more color, if that makes sense.

Mr. Willy":2vd1ael7 said:
Junk Yard Dog":2vd1ael7 said:
Mr. Willy":2vd1ael7 said:

Hmmm...it is very neutral. I’d say flat mids, round top, big deep bottom. It’s defintely not scooped. It cuts by being big and bold, as opposed to, say, a V30 which cuts by those sharp high mids. When I first jammed through it, I thought it was dark. But I’d been playing through RI Greenbacks, V30s, and H75s. I dig the H75s a lot, but I like the Redback so much I’d really like to just get another and have two in my 2x12. I like brighter amps, though. V30s and H75s can get really biting in the highs when you start to crank the SLO up. That’s not a knock, I love those two speakers. But I like the Redback more than both the louder it gets. It seems that with the Redback I’m getting a “truer” sound of my amp than other speakers that have more peaks and valleys, more color, if that makes sense.

Excellent. You're speaking my language. As long as it's not scooped and I can pair it with an amp with some mids to help it cut in a two-guitar band mix.

Cheers!

Anyone have any recent experiences between the Redback and the H75? Thinking of which one to mix with a V30 OR mix the Redback and H75.

Junk Yard Dog":277ztiz1 said:
Anyone have any recent experiences between the Redback and the H75? Thinking of which one to mix with a V30 OR mix the Redback and H75.

You’ll get awesomeness whichever way you go. Depends where you want the peaks and valleys of your tone to be. The Redback with either will give you a massive bottom. Redback/V30 will be massive bottom mixed with thick upper mids. Redback/H75 will give you massive bottom with biting highs. I’d probably go with either the RB/V30 or RB/H75s. Seems V30/H75 would be a whole lot of biting mids and highs. Then again, that might be your thing. Goes without saying, but there’s really no way to know unless you try all combinations and see which one you prefer. Wouldn’t it be nice to just have three cabs with all those combos so you could just plug in and see which one you like?

Just curious... anyone compare a Redback with a G12K100? I'm familiar with the K100s. but haven't tried a Redback, yet.

Personally, I think the Redback is very similar to the K100.

My description of the Red, K100 meets V30.

Red and K100 are both darker to me where the K100 has a little more growl.

They compare the Redback to other Celestions (including the H-75 and the K-100) towards the 16:00 mark of this video. :)

I LOVE my Redbacks. Probably my favorite speaker right now. I have a pain in an oversized V-Boutique 212 and they sound killer with everything I plug into them.

Resurrecting for recent experiences. I'm going to try the Redback/V30 in my Friedman 2x12 with my JJ100.

At loud gig volumes with my current V30/H75 mix, I'm running the presense and treble back a 10:00 and 11:00 on the JJ. It's cutting as is. I think the Redback will allow me to tame those highs a bit.

Bump. Any recent experiences with the Redback vs. and/or mixed with V30 and Creambacks? ...Or has anyone gone to all Redbacks in their cabs and do they feel they lost some 'cut'?

Junk Yard Dog":18p1rxe1 said:
Bump. Any recent experiences with the Redback vs. and/or mixed with V30 and Creambacks? ...Or has anyone gone to all Redbacks in their cabs and do they feel they lost some 'cut'?
I picked up two Redbacks some time ago. I think they sound great but I prefer to have them paired with something else vs using two in a 2x12 or something. When I ran 2 RB in a 2x12 I personally was missing some highs that I was use to getting with V30s. Not a huge deal just dial in the amp a little different but I kind of like the V30/RB mix in my 2x12 and in my 3x12 I got a RB, V30 & T75 which sounds so awesome to me. I don't have any creambacks unfortunately to test.

Just curious though if I ever made a clip of what few speakers I got in different configs would it be best to keep the amp settings the same and just switch out the speakers so you can hear the differences? Or is it best to dial in the amp as best as possible for the speaker being used. I was always curious what would be prefered.

Back