BFG - Kruse - FJA Mods

Junk Yard Dog

I'm looking to mod another amp. I've done Voodoo Mods before and it was good. Sold that amp.

I have a BFG modded Eggie Seminar Head, which is still my number one. I would work with Brian again, but I can't get a hold of him, so I'm looking at Kruse and FJA. Waiting for Brian to reply, but wondering if he's not in the game anymore.

I'm looking to unload my Splawn Pro Stock. Love the amp, it's just too powerful for my needs at this juncture in my cover band and stages we're playing. Phenomenal amp!

I would look at Gower, but he's pretty far and with my budget not sure I wanna do the shipping thing. But his mods are awesome. Fortin doesn't do mods anymore.

I'm looking to grab a Jet City or Ceriatone or another Eggie Seminar head if I can find it cheap. Mods I want done:

-50 watt head
-Marshall based that cleans up well with volume (single or dual channel)
-Sweet to Angry Tones: SRV, Zep, GNR, AIC, Tool, some modern metal from the early 2000's
--I have an AFD switch on my BFG which cops great Slash tones.
--Variable gain via at least 4 gain stages
-Articulate, not overly compressed like the 5153 (awesome amp, tho!)
-Onboard Solo Boost
-mid shift or some time of variable mid frequency shift to work for different sounds and eras of tones
--is this the Kruse Kontrol/V5?
-Presence and Density/Resonance
-Low floor noise/very quite
-MUST HAVE: PPIMV or some time of way to play a loud 50w amp and get the goods on smaller stages
--this has me interested in the Kruse Variac, but I'm not sure it actually makes the amp quieter.
-smaller headshell/close to mini head
-External bias reading and configuring (if possible)

I like switches for more tonal options ala bright, mid shift/cut, saturation, tight, etc.

I play in a cover band doing hard rock covers of female pop songs, so I don't need a super metal amp, but one that can cover all the best pissed off Marshall tones with the option to do some potental Mesa (not exact, but close) tones.

Any recent experiences with Kruse and FJA along the criteria above? I'm seeing some decent platform amps on Ebay and Reverb I could pick up.

Thanks!

I had an amp modded by Jerry (FJA Mods) years ago. Still regret selling it, it was awesome!

Jerry is a great guy and one of the best in the business. Shoot him a pm and tell him what you want, pretty sure he can do all that you want.

The FJA mod clips that have been posted here recently sound really great. I think there are a few guys here that could vouch for the service too, as above, I'd start there...

Yep, Jerry is a good guy no doubt about it.
He modded my jvm 210 back in 09. That turned out to be an amazing amp after the mod. Was already good, but he really got it to sound to its full potential.

Very nice guy!

Never had a BFG mod but I have had Jens do a few mods for Variac,Dekomp,V-5 all were/are great he is fast and his customer service is excellent shoot him an email ..FYI the V5 is killer I love that voicing that still retains the Marshall grind/kerrang !

I just check FJA Mods web site, look like he has a 50 watts small headshell Ceriatone 1987 clone with some kind of mod done to it with a depth knob. Maybe he can tweak it exactly the way you want it.

crankyrayhanky":3mqwgu0l said:
Kruse variac is super, works as advertised

Can you explain what it does? I read that it does not attenuate. I’m trying to get cranked tube tones at lower volumes on the smaller stages and keep the sound guy happy.

Junk Yard Dog":17fqtryc said:
Thanks guys! Curious about both: how quiet are these amps? My BFG and Splawn are super quiet at high gain settings.
Had an FJA modded vintage superbass, great amp and quiet under high gain.

Emg77":1sc0fyoo said:
I had BFG mod an 80 JMP for me and I loved what he did. Great guy to work with too!
No doubt :rock: I’ve had a few amps Brian modded for me. He does great work and he won’t stop until it’s exactly what you’re looking for. Unfortunately I haven’t seen him around for a while. I hope all it’s well. :thumbsup:

Back