>><<<

Dig it! I had one of these.. some of the gain mods i did ended up with a ton of blocking distortion... my amp was wild! That said I ended up making it more of a plexi style amp and it roared. Yours sounds really good but i noticed more bite and top end which is or isn't for some people. Doesn't sound as good as the Marshalls but it's still very usable and natural. These amps can be had for around 500$ all day long as well.

One suggestion for you Michael is to grab a Mig series and throw a mod into it..they are good Marshall based platforms for your mods.
Traynor sounds great!

Racerxrated":2f6arulx said:
One suggestion for you Michael is to grab a Mig series and throw a mod into it..they are good Marshall based platforms for your mods.
Traynor sounds great!

Thank you!!

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for one of these Mig's.
I'm sure one day someone will send me one for mods. :)

MichaelR/T":16wq76qk said:
Kapo_Polenton":16wq76qk said:
Dig it! I had one of these.. some of the gain mods i did ended up with a ton of blocking distortion... my amp was wild! That said I ended up making it more of a plexi style amp and it roared. Yours sounds really good but i noticed more bite and top end which is or isn't for some people. Doesn't sound as good as the Marshalls but it's still very usable and natural. These amps can be had for around 500$ all day long as well.

I used Eminence redcoat wizards for this recording so that probably had a lot to do with the top-end bit.
I was kinda forced to use my Eminence speakers because of the Traynor 8ohn output.
It would have sounded better with my Greenbacks.

Amp set to an 8 ohm load into a 16 ohm cabinet is a safe mismatch and actually eases the load on the output transformer some. Alot of people did this when running their Marshall's into load boxes to reduce the chance of frying an Output transformer. Amp set to a 16 ohm load into an 8 ohm cab is the big NO NO!!!!!!!

So if you wanted to use your greenback cab you're fine on doing so if the amp has an 8 ohm setting. :thumbsup:

I thought the Traynor got pretty aggressive sounding... nice job!

Looks like your info has merit Mike, looks like the Traynor's have a fixed 4 ohm output load according to this below, so 8 ohms would be it for a safe mismatch. I thought it would have selectable impedance like on a Marshall, I guess Mr. Traynor thought otherwise. I guess since you're Canadian you would know about Canadian amps urban legends... :thumbsup:

Here's a blurb I found,

You'll see a slight reduction in volume, but certainly not 'half power.' Tonal characteristics may also change slightly In fact, some people actually prefer the sounds of certain 8 ohm amps into 16 ohm speakers.

Those old Traynors had really robust transformers in them and, IIRC, that amp is actually outputting at 4 ohms but Traynor used an 8 ohm speaker. As per the owners manual, 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers will work. I've heard of people using 16 ohm speakers for years in those without issues, but Traynor advises against it.

I should also point out that the vast majority of manufacturers are a bit clearer on this, and specify a minimum impedance and supply a speaker that has that ohm rating. On old Fenders, for example, a 4 ohm out put means you can use a 4 and an 8 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm output means you can use 8 and 16 ohm speakers. Generally speaking you can go one step up on tube amps but never down.

Sounds incredible Michael! Beautiful tones,
hey brother, do you live up Around Wasaga beach?
I got a couple amplifiers I would love you to look at…
I am only about an hour south of you in Stouffville

Back