Celestion Speaker Lose Terminal Question

psmith68

Hey Guys,

I was just swapping some speakers and during the soldering process, I noticed that one of the terminals was loose. It's still connected, but it does pivot slightly.

Can somebody chime in as to whether or not that's an issue? Or, is a way to reconnect the terminal so that it doesn't pivot?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,158
Could be wrong, but I've seen that on a number of Celestions. Seems like the terminals are attached with something like a rivot and if it's not tightened down enough, it'll pivot on the mounting tab. It shouldn't affect the speaker, though, since the voice coil lead is attached to the lug directly. I've never had a problem due to this.

If it is a rivet, you should be able to tighten it with a pair of plumbers pliers. Just be careful you don't rip out the lead wire from the cone or it's toast.

Exactly why I never worried about it. I thought if I had the connection to the jack tight enough (I usually solder the wire to the terminal), it was going to be vibrating anyway. Better not to take any chances damaging the lead wire. I'm always careful when I solder, too.

Thanks for your advice, Jim!
:rock:

So...I tried to tighten the connection between the terminal and the support plate using pliers and it cracked off! Frustrating...I'm obviously an amateur.

Anybody know if that support plate with terminals can be replaced and if so, where to buy it? I'm thinking I'd also need the rivets.

Unfortunately, this speaker may be toast.

Thanks again for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 762
psmith68":3qpuruf8 said:
So...I tried to tighten the connection between the terminal and the support plate using pliers and it cracked off! Frustrating...I'm obviously an amateur.

Anybody know if that support plate with terminals can be replaced and if so, where to buy it? I'm thinking I'd also need the rivets.

Unfortunately, this speaker may be toast.

Thanks again for the replies.
it can be repaired though not pretty. At least is tore on the lead side and not the coil side. How did both come off? :confused:

Before you spend a lot of time on it, you might want to test the speaker using a multimeter set to measure DC resistance between the two leads coming from the voice coil. Depending on the impedance of the speaker, you'll be about 6.5Ω if it's an 8Ω speaker, and around 13Ω if it's a 16Ω speaker. If you get 0Ω or no connection, the lead pulled out of the voice coil, too, and it may not be worth the time and expense to get it reconed.

Get a small (6/32) machine screw and matching nut (hardware store) around 1/2" long. Drill a new hole in the fiber board to match the screw. Attach the L shaped metal terminal to the fiber board, solder the voice coil wire to one side of the terminal, your speaker wire to the other side.

Your speaker wire is way oversized, and probably contributed to the failure, IMO. Looks like 12 gauge wire, which is heavy, and puts a strain on these light fiber boards. Good luck.

Looks like Bogner speaker wire. I didn’t even attempt to reuse it when I switched speakers in my Bogner 412

Back