NAD: Egnater Boutikit 50w

Junk Yard Dog

...I pulled the trigger. I am favoring 50w amps now, so this will be my second Egnater Seminar head. I've got one from 2013 that I love. This one has more options and could be a great modding platform. I can't wait to open it up, should be here in a few days.

The features are on par with what i want on all my amps: mid cut/boost, tight boost, bright boost, solo volume boost onboard, fx loop (I hope it works well with pedals, though I rarely use any)

What I might add to it/mod: external bias check/adjust, PPIMV (I hear this amp is loud), onboard OD boost via pedal, extra gain stage, rework the circuit a bit to do a Marshall vs. mesa thing or close to it so I can do some old school rock and metal and some new school.

I don't know why we don't hear more about these amps other than it being offered from a class you build yourself.

w70tytfzaroehl8spoe3.jpg

Nice! Is this the one that Bruce was selling directly on facebook?

Looks interesting to try and build as well. I wonder if Bruce will be selling the kits again any time soon. Definitely won't be able to attend any seminar anytime soon.

Grab one of my Mod Boards once I make more. A new version is in the works, too.

V2a":hdxwkx9f said:
Grab one of my Mod Boards once I make more. A new version is in the works, too.

Can explain what your mod boards will do and entail in terms of modding? I’m not planning to mod it myself.

Also, what do you mean a new version is in the works?

Thanks!

Current Mod Board has two switches. One is like a Friedman Structure switch, and the other is like a SAT switch (I call mine the Cali Clipper). Switches mount to rear panel, and board is supported by the switches. Two pairs of twisted wires go to the Egnater board. My Mod Board was initially designed for my own Egnater, so it works very well.

New version will do away with the structure switch and expand the options of the Cali Clipper. Both versions of the Mod Board will be available in the new year.

Got the amp last week. I really haven't been able to open it up at all, because of my apartment. I think it definitely needs some work. Example: the Gain knob is really loose and cheap feeling compared to the other front panel knobs. Also, when bright switch is disengaged and you turn up the Presence and the Treble, it gets this horrible high pitched squeal. I'll get all of that looked at and/or redone.

Apartment Use Review
I like it overall. The Master volume isn't too great on mine; it gets loud quick. The Tone knobs are pretty reactive, almost as good as my BFG amp. However, if you turn them down to 0, they are completely out of the circuit, which I've never heard before. This amp has a LOT of thump with the bass and Density knob, so no worries there. I can't really tell the clarity under higher gain settings with the Pull Boost engaged at low volumes, but it seems pretty good. I don't know what kind of iron it has, but I heard they came with Hyboer.

Switches: this is one of the reasons i grabbed this amp as a platform. Bright: It's only noticable if the Treble and Presence are at a certain level. Same with the Mid switch and Tight switch. I hear that's the case on most of these hot-rodded amps. Bright is pretty useful when engaged. It can work well with certain speaker and pickup setups. Mid is the same: I like it both ways, normal and cut. I think Tight is my favorite: it takes it from loose to tight and I seem to always have it engaged. It gives it a VH vibe with the Bright switch engaged and EQ set right. When Tight is disengaged, it's a bit boomy and too loose for me, so I'm wondering if it is something I could have on permanently without needed a switch. I think Tight disengaged would be good for lower to mid-gain Plexi tones.

Of course, the effects loops sucks with my delay pedals. I put a DD-3 in there and a Vapor Trail and neither work, so I will need to resolve that somehow.

I know that's not an ideal review at Apartment levels, but something tells me this amp will really roar at gig or practice levels. I'm taking it for a gig spin in two weeks, so I'll report back then.

When you say "out of the circuit",do you mean with the bass mid and treble at zero that nothing comes out of the speakers? Like a fader on a mixing console?

rottingcorpse":1qt4i82a said:
When you say "out of the circuit",do you mean with the bass mid and treble at zero that nothing comes out of the speakers? Like a fader on a mixing console?

Yes, exactly. If I have Bass, Mids, Treble off, there is no sound at all. I've never seen this before. I read that another forum member experienced the same thing.

I opened the amp up this weekend and it is a really smoking head. My dumbass needed to spend some time with it and learn how the controls work together and it is very versatile. Highly under the radar rock, hard rock, metal machine. Not a Diezel, but it’s an angry Marshall.

I plan to replace the FX loop so it can work with my pedals. I’m also thinking to mod it a bit to add some other features like maybe an three-way Era/sat Switch and make the other three Switches it comes with three-Way instead of off/on.

I would not hesitate to grab one of these heads if you find one.

Junk Yard Dog":1xzafhbl said:
rottingcorpse":1xzafhbl said:

Yes, exactly. If I have Bass, Mids, Treble off, there is no sound at all. I've never seen this before. I read that another forum member experienced the same thing.

My DAR FBM is the same way. It is the only amp I ever knew that did this until you posted about this amp.

Back