can a headstock ruin a guitar for you?

James+Tyler+Headstock.jpg

I don't know how folks play guitars with ugly headstocks :LOL: :LOL:

8len8":l1nd4jr1 said:
I hate the look of Ernie Ball Music Man headstock. Too short and stubby looking.
What’s that adage about owners and their dogs?
I’m just saying, Sterling Ball is in no danger of knocking his bonce off a lintel

vultures":14bn7jhk said:

Can’t agree more on this one. Every time I see one of these it reminds me of a headstock blank that they never finished.

I'm like the opposite of everyone here. I hate all pointy headstocks, reverse headstocks, obscenely large headstocks, and think that Suhr is one of the better modern spins, while the tele is the all-time most gorgeous and simple design. It does have some influence over my opinion of a guitar aphetically, but it probably wouldn't be a complete deal-breaker on a nice machine.

Findthetone1":3jb6iy5q said:
Without question. I’ve considered picking up an Epiphone a few times but I can’t look past the headstock. I think it’s hideous.

Me too. I think they’re very good guitars for the money, but the headstock annoys the crap outta me.

Spaceboy":36n7yrfc said:
I'm like the opposite of everyone here. I hate all pointy headstocks, reverse headstocks, obscenely large headstocks, and think that Suhr is one of the better modern spins, while the tele is the all-time most gorgeous and simple design. It does have some influence over my opinion of a guitar aphetically, but it probably wouldn't be a complete deal-breaker on a nice machine.

I have the same thoughts, IMO Suhr and PRS have the best inline 6 and 3x3 modern headstocks. I'd throw Gibson's smaller 50's headstock in there with Tele's as an all time great simple elegant design. I'm not a fan of pointy headstocks but I'd rock a Jackson if I really liked how it played. The only headstock I would never play is BC Rich Widow. That with the Warlock body looks like something I'd draw when I was 13.

LP Freak":2erymy4j said:
vultures":2erymy4j said:

Can’t agree more on this one. Every time I see one of these it reminds me of a headstock blank that they never finished.

I don’t think they’re too bad on their teles

Heritage Guitars. No offense to anyone who owns one, I'm sure they play great and I'd like to try one myself. But each time I see a solid deal, that headstock stops me from going for it. Kind of silly, but it just doesn't sit well with me. :dunno:

Salos":23y5do33 said:
Heritage Guitars. No offense to anyone who owns one, I'm sure they play great and I'd like to try one myself. But each time I see a solid deal, that headstock stops me from going for it. Kind of silly, but it just doesn't sit well with me. :dunno:
I was just going to post that the Heritage headstock has grown on me and now I like it. When I look at the Gibson paddle I think that it looks 'right' but not because of some great/elegant design. It's what Jimmy Page, etc played so it looks cool but in a vacuum I think the Heritage headstock looks better.

And I didn't see it mentioned but for me one of the worst offenders is NO headstock. Just doesn't work for me.

I loathe the Suhr peghead. But I think it looks decent reversed.
Same for the 6 on side Hamer head, and Banana.
6054-FRONT-1200.jpg

squealie":38878hhp said:
I loathe the Suhr peghead. But I think it looks decent reversed.
Same for the 6 on side Hamer head, and Banana.
6054-FRONT-1200.jpg
I DEFINITELY prefer the Suhr reversed.

Speeddemon":oqv4jstl said:
For sure.
I love Kramers, but old ones. Not banana/hockey-stick headstocks.
But this one :rock: :
pacer2.jpg

Deans with the headstock in the shape of Gina LaMarca's red carpet? No thank you. :bleh:

I actually prefer this one:
B000XQ8VGQ-3.jpg
The Kramer "Beak" headstock..here we go ! For me the Beak headstock is one I want to like,and I have seen it on several older Kramers and the newer line,I would have one if I needed one no doubt,but their not my favorite Kramer headstocks. I have a Kramer "Claw" Non-reverse pointy neck and 1 pointy Kramer maple neck right now,and i love them both !

Yeah, for me, a headstock can definitely ruin a guitar. I'm kinda picky, anyway, but it seems to me that the headstock is the most difficult part to design. I've seen so many really beautiful guitars ruined by a headstock that looked like melted Silly Putty or the ink spots from a psychiatric test. If the guitar, as a whole (including headstock) is desirable to my eyes, it makes my fingers want to play it. If it isn't, then I'm not going to get excited picking up it, no matter how beautiful the neck and body are or how well it plays and sounds.

Findthetone1":1fh0ufnj said:
Without question. I’ve considered picking up an Epiphone a few times but I can’t look past the headstock. I think it’s hideous.

couldn't agree more. It's not even because "Gibson vs Epi", It just sticks up too far and is too busy (too many curves and angles) IMO.

also; BC Rich earwig and Dean ML headstocks. Enough said.

Back