Trolls on Reverb

screamindemon

Man what the fu%& !
Been having issues on Reverb.
https://reverb.com/item/7376058-marshal ... -high-gain

Listed this head, guy bought it, emails me says the loop is not working. I say ok send it back to me and I will take care of any problem something must have got knocked loose in shipping.
So I get the amp back , was willing to work with this guy because I wanted him to be happy.

So I inspect the amp and the foot switch is busted, he never mentions that. was fine when I shipped it. So I plug it in and everything is working just fine including the loop. Only issue is the foot switch.
So I message him and tell him the loop is working fine and ask him about the foot switch. he says he doesn't know anything about it and he wants a refund because loop will not work for him.

Then he files a claim with paypal, says I misrepresented the amp in the ad. Which is bull shit because I stated in the Ad that it had a passive loop.
Now Paypal has put a hold on my money.

This is bull shit ! :doh:
Makes me not want to sell on there any more or use Paypal because they lock up your funds for a month !

screamindemon":223wnrzl said:
Man what the fu%& !

Listed this head, guy bought it, emails me says the loop is not working. I say ok send it back to me and I will take care of any problem something must have got knocked loose in shipping.
So I get the amp back , was willing to work with this guy because I wanted him to be happy.

So I inspect the amp and the foot switch is busted, he never mentions that. was fine when I shipped it. So I plug it in and everything is working just fine including the loop. Only issue is the foot switch.
So I message him and tell him the loop is working fine and ask him about the foot switch. he says he doesn't know anything about it and he wants a refund because loop will not work for him.

Then he files a claim with paypal, says I misrepresented the amp in the ad. Which is bull shit because I stated in the Ad that it had a passive loop.

Makes me not want to sell on there any more or use Paypal because they lock up your funds for a month !

Don’t give in, fight to the end or he will continue screwig others. You are right, either stop using these services or put up with the shitty issues. They are notteying to help you sell gear, they just want a cut of your profits.

Reverb is notorious for providing zero help and screwing buyers. They are multimillionaires now who dont gice a $&@“ about you and never did.

Im on the other end of the spectrum. I just bought at high end amp Reverb that was listed as "mint". Had the worst ground hum I've ever heard. Literally unusable for recording or gigging, no way can you mic it. I trouble shot with different tubes, still did it so it's more then tubes. Told him the situation and asked what how he wanted to handle it (refund or he pays for tech fee) he said it's my problem and I'll have to take it to a tech. I filed a return complaint with Reverb and PayPal. Is he the troll or me? lol

I pretty much only fuck with PayPal as a buyer anymore. Too much shady shit. Tristan, that sucks as well. Don't know why he wouldn't offer to pay the tech fee at least. I've had it happen to me and always offered/ or paid to have it fixed. Cheaper than shipping it back; right?

Retrospective thinking...i know. You could’ve offered (sort of) customer service. I’d been tempted to video chat or look at a video he prepared showing the loop not working, of course offering to help h fix it/troubleshoot. The video would’ve proved he was jacking you around or the loop was in effect not working.

I always take videos of gear working before shipping it, just because of knuckleheads like the guy you’re dealing with.

GL with this deal. Maybe less trouble at this point to refund the dude. Even if you win the claim you’ll still have to ship it (I’d guess) running the risk of the currier breaking it in earnest or it showing up (again) with something else “not as advertised” ;)

I don't think reverb has much to do with this issue. Could happen on any selling site that allows PayPal. Also, update your reverb settings to use reverb direct checkout which still allows PayPal but insulates you from PayPal holding your funds as you don't actually receive funds from paypal... You get paid by reverb. Sucks this happened to yo u hope you get it worked out but sounds like you are getting fucked...

GOHOINC":12mtd8ty said:
I don't think reverb has much to do with this issue. Could happen on any selling site that allows PayPal. Also, update your reverb settings to use reverb direct checkout which still allows PayPal but insulates you from PayPal holding your funds as you don't actually receive funds from paypal... You get paid by reverb. Sucks this happened to yo u hope you get it worked out but sounds like you are getting fucked...
It does happen everywhere, ebay and even face to face sales where people use paypal. I had a friend do this locally, the guy paypalled before meeting, they met and later on the guy filed a claim after 10 days because he didn't want the amp anymore

I have been told that the best approach is to send a paypal invoice with the verbiage in the description of as-is no returns or whatever your terms. That way paypal has a record of the transaction instead of depending on an external deal to paypal. But even then the buyer can file a claim through there credit card company

tripstan":18sgdr8q said:
Im on the other end of the spectrum. I just bought at high end amp Reverb that was listed as "mint". Had the worst ground hum I've ever heard. Literally unusable for recording or gigging, no way can you mic it. I trouble shot with different tubes, still did it so it's more then tubes. Told him the situation and asked what how he wanted to handle it (refund or he pays for tech fee) he said it's my problem and I'll have to take it to a tech. I filed a return complaint with Reverb and PayPal. Is he the troll or me? lol

its horrible how many shysters there are out there. it seems that no one is ever safe now when selling. Its a bummer to hear about these bad deals and shysters. jeez, you would think guitarists would help one another out, but damn, so many screw each other like its no big deal. They lie, cheat, steal and shyster one another like its nothing, what happened to having a conscious? I have always tried to give fellow forum members good deals and go out of my way to make sure the deal goes smoothly. Like most people, I have been screwed over, in a couple different ways. You have the guys who outright steal, cheat, lie and shyster you, then you have the guys who will take advantage of others good nature. Like the guy who will ask for a killer deal on a piece of gear, with the understanding they will contact you and offer it back to you for what you sold it to them for, and then they just turn around and sell for a fat profit. Maybe some of you consider that as a shrewd business deal? I don't know, I thought forums were to share info, make friends with other musicians, and kick each other good deals. Maybe I am completely wrong and naïve? I just don't understand how so many people are just totally screwing others over. To me its just insane. It would plague my conscious, that's for sure, but others just don't care, obviously, or else they would not do it. It sure is a bummer to fear selling gear or even buying it. Rant over.

One of my first deals on eBay long ago was that I purchased an ADA MP1 and when I got it, it was in a box with no packing material what so ever. Is was obviously DOA. Perhaps I should have noticed the red flag when the seller said he needed to sell quick because he was going to jail :doh:

Needless to say, I never got m money back

Thanks for the replies guys.
The part that bothers me the most is I was willing to work with the guy to make him happy, but then when I questioned him on the foot switch and Told him the amp is working fine and I didn't have an Open ended return policy he immediately files a claim. If he would have been cool I may have refunded his money minus shipping and $20 to fix the foot switch.
He uses pedals and I understand this is not a good loop for this but It was stated in the ad. At first I felt bad because I know it's not the ideal loop for him. But again it was stated in the ad and he never made it clear before he purchased the amp .

Really needed the money for Christmas and my dog has been sick and vet bills and meds are adding up.

Sorry just need to vent and see if anyone else is dealing with this shit.

Brian

scottosan":2rszx8ta said:
One of my first deals on eBay long ago was that I purchased an ADA MP1 and when I got it, it was in a box with no packing material what so ever. Is was obviously DOA. Perhaps I should have noticed the red flag when the seller said he needed to sell quick because he was going to jail :doh:

Needless to say, I never got m money back

I have had this same thing happen to me. Heavy piece of rack gear thrown in a lightweight box with some peanuts ! When you get it the rack ears are hanging out of the box and bent to hell !

mooncobra":3884wpdb said:
tripstan":3884wpdb said:

its horrible how many shysters there are out there. it seems that no one is ever safe now when selling. Its a bummer to hear about these bad deals and shysters. jeez, you would think guitarists would help one another out, but damn, so many screw each other like its no big deal. They lie, cheat, steal and shyster one another like its nothing, what happened to having a conscious? I have always tried to give fellow forum members good deals and go out of my way to make sure the deal goes smoothly. Like most people, I have been screwed over, in a couple different ways. You have the guys who outright steal, cheat, lie and shyster you, then you have the guys who will take advantage of others good nature. Like the guy who will ask for a killer deal on a piece of gear, with the understanding they will contact you and offer it back to you for what you sold it to them for, and then they just turn around and sell for a fat profit. Maybe some of you consider that as a shrewd business deal? I don't know, I thought forums were to share info, make friends with other musicians, and kick each other good deals. Maybe I am completely wrong and naïve? I just don't understand how so many people are just totally screwing others over. To me its just insane. It would plague my conscious, that's for sure, but others just don't care, obviously, or else they would not do it. It sure is a bummer to fear selling gear or even buying it. Rant over.

I agree with you here dude ! I really wanted to help the guy out felt bad he didn't read the description and loop won't work for him. Then he just screws me !

MrDowntown":3fxyuer6 said:
Retrospective thinking...i know. You could’ve offered (sort of) customer service. I’d been tempted to video chat or look at a video he prepared showing the loop not working, of course offering to help h fix it/troubleshoot. The video would’ve proved he was jacking you around or the loop was in effect not working.

I always take videos of gear working before shipping it, just because of knuckleheads like the guy you’re dealing with.

GL with this deal. Maybe less trouble at this point to refund the dude. Even if you win the claim you’ll still have to ship it (I’d guess) running the risk of the currier breaking it in earnest or it showing up (again) with something else “not as advertised” ;)

Good idea on the video. I was going to make one and send to Paypal as evidence that the amp works fine but then again they wouldn't know what the fuck they are looking at anyway !

screamindemon":yxxg5lnk said:
Thanks for the replies guys.
The part that bothers me the most is I was willing to work with the guy to make him happy, but then when I questioned him on the foot switch and Told him the amp is working fine and I didn't have an Open ended return policy he immediately files a claim. If he would have been cool I may have refunded his money minus shipping and $20 to fix the foot switch.
He uses pedals and I understand this is not a good loop for this but It was stated in the ad. At first I felt bad because I know it's not the ideal loop for him. But again it was stated in the ad and he never made it clear before he purchased the amp .

Really needed the money for Christmas and my dog has been sick and vet bills and meds are adding up.

Sorry just need to vent and see if anyone else is dealing with this shit.

Brian

real bummer about your dog man, I hope your dog gets better. I have dealt with this same kind of thing. Paypals new year return policy or 6 months is ridiculous. If someone doesn't read your ad and then goes wild filing a claim that's ridiculous. f I made a mistake like that< I would just deal with it and resell it. some people, its crazy!!! well, their karma will be coming.

screamindemon":1u5orz3x said:
Man what the fu%& !

When Reverb first started, they use to have a customer service group that would step in a try to moderate through these disputes. Not anymore though. So many assholes, kids and shit heads have joined up and Reverb does nothing to verify identity. I am very careful who I sell to. If they don't have a ton of feedback ask for forum references. On more than one occasion, I have woke up to see an item of mine sold and have immediately reversed the sell and returned the money. It's not worth the headache.

Is the link you posted the buyer in this case? What's his name, as he may be on some forums so we can call his ass out. Be sure to list all your items "sold as is" and "no returns". Although this means nothing to PayPal, at least you have an argument.

Steve

steve_k":n9tqvlyw said:
screamindemon":n9tqvlyw said:
Man what the fu%& !

When Reverb first started, they use to have a customer service group that would step in a try to moderate through these disputes. Not anymore though. So many assholes, kids and shit heads have joined up and Reverb does nothing to verify identity. I am very careful who I sell to. If they don't have a ton of feedback ask for forum references. On more than one occasion, I have woke up to see an item of mine sold and have immediately reversed the sell and returned the money. It's not worth the headache.

Is the link you posted the buyer in this case? What's his name, as he may be on some forums so we can call his ass out. Be sure to list all your items "sold as is" and "no returns". Although this means nothing to PayPal, at least you have an argument.

Steve

Hey man! Do you still have your Reverb shop? What was it called? Always had killer gear in it.

You should use Reverb direct checkout. That still goes through Paypal but this at least puts the control of any refund in Reverb's hands and not Paypal's.

I recently shipped a Suhr Reactive Load and paid FedEx 'insurance'. When the FedEx guy asked if I wanted signature I replied that I really didn't care because it was covered and that if FedEx was comfortable leaving a $300-insured package without a signature that was on them. Buyer said package never arrived and FedEx would not pay claim because I didn't request signature. Reverb waited and waited and waited for FedEx denial before giving refund and then basically gave me $100 towards the refund. They also applied any sales I had (just a couple of pickups) to the refund so there was less money coming out of my account. So credit where it is due...Reverb actually did all they could and then some on that one. And Paypal couldn't touch it.

SpiderWars":hw53rsyj said:
When the FedEx guy asked if I wanted signature I replied that I really didn't care because it was covered and that if FedEx was comfortable leaving a $300-insured package without a signature that was on them.

It's actually not on them. They leave it on the porch and they are done. That's the service you paid for. Over $500 requires a direct signature. Always get signature receipt when selling stuff online, otherwise you don't have any evidence that the buyer actually received the item and it's that much easier to do a charge-back. Also, even though fedex says it was delivered, they may have delivered it to the wrong address, they'll swear up and down that they delivered it to the right spot and you are basically screwed in an insurance claim because they had no responsibility after it's left on the porch.

steve_k":3me6brlk said:

Steve

I had a problem a few years ago when I bought a Fryette PS on Reverb. It got busted during shipping because the seller packed it like an absolute ape (and such a fragile item too! not like an overbuilt Mesa or ENGL, really needs quality packaging).

Anyway, Reverb support was AMAZING because the seller of course went radio silent. They helped me get my money back and I sent the PS back. All was taken care of in a matter of 2-3 days.

That would be very sad to hear if Reverb no longer steps in like this. I've had only excellent experiences dealing with their customer service, and the site in general. But as it's getting bigger, it does seem they are getting some of headaches we've been avoiding on eBay.

Back