---What are your thoughts on Insurance for your gear ? ---

the4thlast1

Hey guys I'm considering investing in an insurance policy for my gear incase anything were stolen. Do you have any recommendations or explanations of experience with these types of plans, whether or not you feel they are worth it ?

I don’t gig so my stuff is all covered by my homeowners insurance. That said I still keep all my guitars in a dead bolted closet. I’d rather not have to re-acquire my favorite axes if I can avoid it.

I think there is still a limit on what homeowners will pay on gear, even if you don't gig. I gig, I use Heritage Insurance for the gear only. There are a few other companies out there now so I am actually going to shop around a bit. I know a lot of guys that gig and don't have coverage. A few have been burned pretty badly by getting gear stolen or broke at gigs.

I have my guitar equipment insured in sort of a "catch all" type thing. It is not specific to each guitar, etc. It allows me to recoup some cost to buy other stuff if something happens to my stuff. If I had classic guitars or collectibles, I definitely would insure those.

I'm not a big insurance fan in general to be honest. I have never been in an accident in my life and think about how much money I've poured into something I've never needed. I also got screwed when I looked into getting a new roof for my house after almost 30 years with the same company. They did an assessment and basically gave me enough money for a few shingles to be replaced and then maybe enough to have a burger and fries for lunch that day. Needless to say it annoyed me so much that we switched to another company.

With that said, I know insurance is just one of those things you have to have and when you don't have it, guaranteed something will happen. :)

Read your renters or homeownwer's policy carefully - you might be covered already, especially if you don't gig the gear. Some policies will balk at covering gear as personal property if you gig it. They will say it is business equipment, and then they weasel out of paying a claim.

Better yet, talk to someone at the insurance company and have them show you where on the policy it says exactly what they will do in case of a loss. This is important whether you try to use an existing personal property policy or get a standalone instrument policy.

Also, policies vary regarding what they consider "antique" and they either won't cover it or they will dramatically reduce its replacement value. They often consider older gear like an old rocking chair, negating any vintage value.

My guns and guitars are covered under my home owners insurance policy. I made sure of that when I got it.

I think it does really depend upon your insurance company. If it is not covered by your current policy, you may be able to get a rider for musical instruments.

Metlupass2":24hn4ns7 said:
My guns and guitars are covered under my home owners insurance policy. I made sure of that when I got it.

Same. Called my insurance company personally to ensure certain things were covered and set individual liability on things like guns, guitar stuff, jewelry, etc.. I have USAA though, and they're extremely accommodating with everything ymmv. Thinking of it now, I should really call and update my limits on it considering all the gear I have now.

I’m hoping I’m about to start giving again so I’m going to look into insurance for that .
My gear is covered by my HOi while at the house but I need something for the gigs .
If I can remember I will post my findings back here

Back