Wah Pedal Mods

Padre Bonic":126doh3e said:
I've heard clips of this wah and IMHO its a bass mess. He asked for suggestions to get a vintage type quack out of it and lowering the gain of the transistors is one of the ways you get there. I'll leave this to you though and stick to what I do. Cheers to all and Happy New Year.

I don't doubt it's a bass mess. I was just noting that dropping that resistor isn't where I'd start. I might return to it, but wouldn't mess with it until trying some other things first. Don't leave over that comment. We're just having a discussion, spitballing ideas. I'm very much about a systematic approach, so want the OP to only try one thing at a time.

I actually thought the OP just wanted to balance the tone out a bit. If you want a vintage sound, I'd probably ditch the circuit board and drop in a board from one various cloners out there. That'd be faster and simpler than messing with the stock circuit.

I’ll start by removing the .0033 and work from there. If I can’t get it where I like it or F it up completely I’ll buy a board to drop in. I LOVE the case and definitely want to use it. Padre would you build me a board if I go that route? If so what would that cost?

messenger":eq2fmfab said:
I’ll start by removing the .0033 and work from there. If I can’t get it where I like it or F it up completely I’ll buy a board to drop in. I LOVE the case and definitely want to use it. Padre would you build me a board if I go that route? If so what would that cost?
Yeah I'm sure I can get something good in there. Let me take a look at some more pics to see the layout of the enclosure

Padre Bonic":1tgb8o6w said:
messenger":1tgb8o6w said:
Yeah I'm sure I can get something good in there. Let me take a look at some more pics to see the layout of the enclosure

I can take more pics or measurements if needed

The enclosure is definitely unique. I have one of the original Whine-O-Wah's around, stored away in it's original box. I haven't had it out in over a decade. I should probably pull it out. I recall it having a ton of gain on tap so really didn't work so great in front of the high gain amps I typically use.

I'm pretty sure it's the same enclosure, except bright red rather than blue. I think it'll house an standard wah PCB just fine - may need to manually connect leads to the sockets rather than wire them on.

messenger":2dha307v said:
Padre Bonic":2dha307v said:
messenger":2dha307v said:

if you can, take a shot of the whole length of the inside. In the pics you have I can’t see the battery area

Padre Bonic":13oit6ul said:
messenger":13oit6ul said:
Padre Bonic":13oit6ul said:
messenger":13oit6ul said:

if you can, take a shot of the whole length of the inside. In the pics you have I can’t see the battery area

Attachments

• 51265BD2-9C40-4384-B839-4D5B205D40F3.jpeg
    51265BD2-9C40-4384-B839-4D5B205D40F3.jpeg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 1,878
messenger":q2kmlj2o said:
Padre Bonic":q2kmlj2o said:
Padre Bonic":q2kmlj2o said:

Yeah I can work with that.

Padre Bonic":3cuclnha said:
messenger":3cuclnha said:

Yeah I can work with that.

Sweet.

Just wanted to throw an update here:
messenger sent me this pedal and I worked my circuit in there for him. It sounded killer in testing before shipping it out to him. I was able to keep the eyes lighting up too when it's kicked on. I'll tell you this, that enclosure is built like a Sherman tank!
EtFL4SNl.jpg

EKTSFFXl.jpg

I haven’t had a chance to crank it up yet but at lower volumes it’s great. It sounds like a thicker version of my standard crybaby. Similar frequency response but the notes are thicker.

messenger":t91i1za0 said:
I haven’t had a chance to crank it up yet but at lower volumes it’s great. It sounds like a thicker version of my standard crybaby. Similar frequency response but the notes are thicker.
You’ll get the full effect once you turn up a bit! :rock:

How about the mini crybaby? It is a great pedal and I like it a ton but the only thing I would change is a switchable fixed gain setting. How easy would that be to rig up?

Back