Mezzabarba MZero

littleguitars

Based on the clips I've heard online, I'm kind of intrigued by the sound of this amp. Do we have many guys here who own, or have owned, the Mezzabarba MZero? I'd be interested in reading some discussion about how people have liked this amp compared to some of the other amps that get talked about here a lot. (SLO, Helios, etc.)

Based on the clip below, I'm kind of thinking I wouldn't even need the overdrive channel. Maybe all the gain I would need could be found on the "Standard" rather than the "Overdrive" model.

The 2:15 mark of the clip below is channel one with the boost engaged. Really digging these tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4c_V8QLqs

Really interested in the MZero too. Some say it sounds similar to a SLO (smooth, warm, full) others claim it is more in the modified Marshall camp (more edge, bite, kerrang) of tone. I've owned several SLOs... so not really wanting another flavor of SLO with a side of pasta.

Any owners compare it gain-wise to some other amps?

I used to own a mzero overdrive and thought it was a terrific amp. I'd say it sounded like a darker, and more raw, pissed off sounding SLO (maybe a little Marshall in there too) and also much bigger and more open sounding. The main thing I liked was how big and ballsy it sounded (many amps sounded small in comparison), but I later got my Atomica modded SLP which sounded every bit as big and ballsy and beat it in every other way for me. As great as the mzero was though,I felt the bottom end and chugs weren't as tight as I wanted (the slo was also like that) whereas the Atomica is much more tight and defined. Also, the Atomica and some of my other amps had a more complete growl on powerchords (the mzero and slo have growl, but sound smoother/lacking hair in comparison, which I don't like). I also preferred the Atomica and some of my other amps for lead and single note type stuff.

Overall though, the mzero was still great and if it weren't for my Atomica or wizard mtl I for sure would have kept it. I think those who like the SLO or XTC will love the mzero overdrive

It also got loud very early on the volume knob's taper

braintheory":flxaf6lm said:
As great as the mzero was though,I felt the bottom end and chugs weren't as tight as I wanted (the slo was also like that) whereas the Atomica is much more tight and defined.

I think those who like the SLO or XTC will love the mzero overdrive

:no: :aww:

Not promising.

There was one at GC Hollywood last month when I was in there for $2399.

Apparently a tube went and took out the screen resistors, so I couldn’t give it a spin.

Dude asked if I wanted to put it on hold, and I thought about it, but at the end of the day, it’s just another (cool) amp, and I already have a few of those. :LOL: :LOL:

Wouldn’t even consider paying $4,000.

Wizard of Ozz":14kwb0eg said:
braintheory":14kwb0eg said:
As great as the mzero was though,I felt the bottom end and chugs weren't as tight as I wanted (the slo was also like that) whereas the Atomica is much more tight and defined.

I think those who like the SLO or XTC will love the mzero overdrive

:no: :aww:

Not promising.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't choose it for modern styles of metals (but I think can do it more convincingly than an SLO), but I think it would work well for a lot of the other styles guys on here tend to like

I'd also say the SLO or XTC's are a bit easier to play than the mzero since they're more compressed and not as raw sounding

I had the small skill 30 and it was great. I tried the Mzero at GC hollywood. I really liked it although the boost button on footswitch wasnt working. It really reminds me of SLO with marshall in there. I would buy one if I had the money but I have an SLO at the moment. The layout is very similar to slo like the clean crunch setting

braintheory":3v8d0cpx said:
I wouldn't choose it for modern styles of metals

I use it for metal! I think depend what cabs and pickups are used. The amp is made for greenbacks and rock music, but it can do really anything (with different guitars and speakers).

Thanks for the replies. Guys saying that it's got some SLO vibe but more open with some Marshall flavour... those are all good things to me. And if it's not super tight for metal, that's cool with me too. Would love to try one out, but I think there are maybe only 2 or 3 dealers in the entire U.S.

I played one used at Guitar Center. nice amp. Will blow fuses if you plug anything into the fx loop while its on. beware.

Kal-EL34":25x93d9q said:
Will blow fuses if you plug anything into the fx loop while its on. beware.

I did this sometimes for check the sound with or without something in the loop, but never blown a fuse :confused:
Not even used the stand-by while...

MZERO Overdrive and MZERO Standard are incredible Amps....I have the Overdrive. Love it. Far better cleans than my BE100 Browneye, equally good gain, and better options accessible via footswitch. The first channel can give you fenderish cleans, edge tones all the way to classic rock..the overdrive channel will take you wherever you need to go beyond that.

The Z35 and 101Z are mind blowing vintage tone for purists if you can survive without an effects loop....the tone will blow old school dudes away. The Z18 combo kicks ass...I heard at NAMM there is a Skill Combo now..talk about a mind blowing lightweight grab and go practice amp for hard players.

Mezzabarbara is getting notice with pro players such as Satriani, Vai, Lynch etc....

Can't imagine the above comments about looseness given the Deep, Presence and Feedback controls. Perhaps they did not get enough time to dial it in.

Killer amps for sure.

Do any of you guys get excessive noise, combination of hiss and hum with the overdrive over 5 on the overdrive channel? Same thing on the first channel with the boost engaged and the drive up. Tubes don't seem to be the issue, and this is with everything disconnected except for the cab of course. Hiss I get but there is a background hum that really gets loud.

Luca79":2tc4l6s9 said:
I wonder if littleguitars tried one...

Hey Luca, yes I did get a chance to check out the MZero at NAMM last month. There was a lot of activity at the Mezzabarba booth for most of the weekend, but I made it a point to swing by first thing Sunday morning when very few people were around. Pierangelo turned me up to a pretty good volume too (loud enough that it eventually got the attention of the noise police -- and they were surprisingly cool about it, believe it or not). I was going through a 4x12 with greenbacks, and it sounded absolutely killer!! Even better than I was hoping for! Will definitely get one of these amps some time this year.

Back