"An Idiot's Guide to the Line 6 Helix" - Updated 12/14/18

JerEvil

Hey guys. Been a while since I posted any vids. I have a new series going for new Line 6 Helix users. These are meant to be short vids that are very simple and that focus on one part of the patch creation process at a time. There are a TON of in-depth vids out there so looking to do something a bit different.

I have seen a lot of folks on other forums lately that have recently bought a Helix but have no idea where to start when digging into it. A few dudes I know are making vids that are like 40 minutes long on just ONE function. Total overkill.

More to come!

Hey dude,

I recently got a Helix and am loving it, but am confused about something and wondering if you can help me out--I'm at work so can't look at the vids but if it's in one of them, let me know and I'll watch it later.

I am running in 4CM with my D-Moll. I want to have my complete signal path go back to the effects return of the D-Moll, but I also want to branch off at the end and put an IR or cab block on the XLR out so that I can have the amp sounding normal, but also have a cab affected tone for the PA or recording.

I've split off of the signal right at the end and routed it to the XLR output, but it now sounds like there's a completely dry signal mixing in with both outputs. I'm really confused as to why. All I want the split to do is send identical signals on both branches. It seems like it would be a very normal use case, and it has to be user error on my part, but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong at the split to somehow be introducing a dry signal to the entire thing.

Thanks!

dirtyfunkg":plbmp2k0 said:
Hey dude,

I recently got a Helix and am loving it, but am confused about something and wondering if you can help me out--I'm at work so can't look at the vids but if it's in one of them, let me know and I'll watch it later.

I am running in 4CM with my D-Moll. I want to have my complete signal path go back to the effects return of the D-Moll, but I also want to branch off at the end and put an IR or cab block on the XLR out so that I can have the amp sounding normal, but also have a cab affected tone for the PA or recording.

I've split off of the signal right at the end and routed it to the XLR output, but it now sounds like there's a completely dry signal mixing in with both outputs. I'm really confused as to why. All I want the split to do is send identical signals on both branches. It seems like it would be a very normal use case, and it has to be user error on my part, but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong at the split to somehow be introducing a dry signal to the entire thing.

Thanks!
Hey brother. I have not tackled this yet but I will for sure. Until then, can you send me the patch you’re using? I know a few cats doing what you’re looking to accomplish successfully nd am sure I can get you the right answer ASAP.

Econ":gtda9sqo said:
Excellent Jer! Thanks!!!
Glad you dug it! Thanks and stay tuned. Got some good stuff coming.

Y’all, I hate to be that guy but if you dig the Dunk, hit that SUBSCRIBE button. Also, leave comments if you want to see something NOT covered. I’m here to be a resource.

Hey Jer, would these apply to Helix native users? Looking for good metal presets too! Thanks! :rock:

errrrrl":3vy4gqd0 said:
Hey Jer, would these apply to Helix native users? Looking for good metal presets too! Thanks! :rock:

The rest of the vids from here on out will apply. Most of what I went over in the first 3 vids are about the hardware. Next vid starts with a simple patch and the following vids will take that basic patch and totally blow it out bit by bit.

Now, I mention in all the vid descriptions, these are for newbs so some of it might seem really basic for guys with modeling experience but I get a LOT of guys that are new users that feel totally overwhelmed which is what spurred me to do these vids

In the new ones coming I will show the editing being done on the Helix itself but also have HX Edit hooked up so people can see what it looks like on the editor. That will look pretty identical to Native.

JerEvil":1y9hvfs5 said:
errrrrl":1y9hvfs5 said:

The rest of the vids from here on out will apply. Most of what I went over in the first 3 vids are about the hardware. Next vid starts with a simple patch and the following vids will take that basic patch and totally blow it out bit by bit.

Now, I mention in all the vid descriptions, these are for newbs so some of it might seem really basic for guys with modeling experience but I get a LOT of guys that are new users that feel totally overwhelmed which is what spurred me to do these vids

In the new ones coming I will show the editing being done on the Helix itself but also have HX Edit hooked up so people can see what it looks like on the editor. That will look pretty identical to Native.
Sounds good dude, looking forward to it ;)

errrrrl":1yy7wpp0 said:
JerEvil":1yy7wpp0 said:
errrrrl":1yy7wpp0 said:

Sounds good dude, looking forward to it ;)
Thanks bud! I have some good stuff coming for this series as well as other L6 stuff.

Been a minute. Got a new vid uploaded. Basic patch creation. Remember, these are for modeling newbs so some of this may seem a bit rudimentary for some of y'all that have been around the block.

Vid is in the OP.

Jer, these vids are fantastic. Do you know off hand if the desktop editor will work the the HX?

Bronco":1xbts8q6 said:
Jer, these vids are fantastic. Do you know off hand if the desktop editor will work the the HX?
You mean in the HX Effects? It will eventually but right now just a preset mnager and IR loader.

JerEvil":135kx3vy said:
Bronco":135kx3vy said:
You mean in the HX Effects? It will eventually but right now just a preset mnager and IR loader.
:thumbsup:

Bronco":127vhddz said:
JerEvil":127vhddz said:
Bronco":127vhddz said:
I will see if I can find out any info on when it will be HX Edit compatible. Also, thanks again for checking the vids out!

JerEvil":3389n5is said:
Bronco":3389n5is said:
JerEvil":3389n5is said:
Bronco":3389n5is said:
I will see if I can find out any info on when it will be HX Edit compatible. Also, thanks again for checking the vids out!
Yeah to be clear I'm referring to the new HX fx only unit, the one with no amps, mics, or cabs. I think we're on the same page.

Bronco":1zn3r72i said:
JerEvil":1zn3r72i said:
JerEvil":1zn3r72i said:
Yeah to be clear I'm referring to the new HX fx only unit, the one with no amps, mics, or cabs. I think we're on the same page.
Yeah man. Totally on the same page. It will definitely be getting HX Edit support so you can build patches that way.

Added a new vid. Been ages since I’ve done one for this series but picking back up. This one’s a bit of a pedestrian topic. Showing how you add IR’s and downloaded presets to the Helix.

Back