Is Kemper hard to use ?

SQUAREHEAD":29bowazn said:
Hey Cujo,
So, you tried a 5153 and the powered Kemper felt and sounded the same through the same cabinet?
The only reason why am asking is because this is what I am struggling with… I bought the power to K PA and for live use, it is unbeatable, I am getting better tones live then when I was using real Bogner, Wizard, Marshall amplifier’s with real cabinets and microphones… Now I am talking about the tone coming out of the PA, it is tremendous- wonderful tones…
However, I am really struggling to get good tones directly from the powered K PA into a 4×12 cabinet… I was doubting myself until I tried the exact same amplifier that I had direct profiled through the same cabinet and it was night and day difference,

Then I went to YouTube and looked up the rigs that the well-known Kemper users have and I now realize none of them use the power section of the KPA, they all use a separate tube power amplifier for their monitor cabinets on stage…

Are you disabling the cabinet simulations for the output feeding the 4x12? I run my non-powered Kemper rack unit that way, using an external solid-state power amp, and while it doesn't sound as "alive" as a quality FRFR setup, it still sounds quite good.

Also, it seems odd that someone would use a tube amp for auxiliary power, since the Kemper amp sims have virtual power sections built into them.

Rising Farce":tb0moeva said:
SQUAREHEAD":tb0moeva said:
Hey Cujo,
So, you tried a 5153 and the powered Kemper felt and sounded the same through the same cabinet?
The only reason why am asking is because this is what I am struggling with… I bought the power to K PA and for live use, it is unbeatable, I am getting better tones live then when I was using real Bogner, Wizard, Marshall amplifier’s with real cabinets and microphones… Now I am talking about the tone coming out of the PA, it is tremendous- wonderful tones…
However, I am really struggling to get good tones directly from the powered K PA into a 4×12 cabinet… I was doubting myself until I tried the exact same amplifier that I had direct profiled through the same cabinet and it was night and day difference,

Then I went to YouTube and looked up the rigs that the well-known Kemper users have and I now realize none of them use the power section of the KPA, they all use a separate tube power amplifier for their monitor cabinets on stage…

Are you disabling the cabinet simulations for the output feeding the 4x12? I run my non-powered Kemper rack unit that way, using an external solid-state power amp, and while it doesn't sound as "alive" as a quality FRFR setup, it still sounds quite good.

Also, it seems odd that someone would use a tube amp for auxiliary power, since the Kemper amp sims have virtual power sections built into them.

Yes, I always disable the cabinet, but I usually never have to do that because I am using direct profiles anyways… And yes it might seem odd, but they all do it including Michael Britt if you look up his YouTube video he uses the power section of a 5153 for his cabinet monitor on stage…
Btw, I have bypassed the power section of the K PA and used and pearce G2Rsolid-state power amplifier and it sounds way better through a cabinet… So I can understand you’re getting good results with yours…

LP Freak":21xsbc91 said:
Plan on spending less time playing and more time tweaking

This is exactly what kept me from buying one or many other modelers for that matter. I tweak enough as is with my tube amps; a Kemper would be the end of my playing :LOL: :LOL:

You’re absolutely right bro, the problem with the KPA is that there is no end of the possibilities so it can consume you if you have that type of personality…

SQUAREHEAD":2rqpjtxi said:
You’re absolutely right bro, the problem with the KPA is that there is no end of the possibilities so it can consume you if you have that type of personality…

Indeed :thumbsup: In addition, I'm not a tech guy so the searching for profiles, downloading/uploading, and firmware updates would be a hassle. But that's just me.

The KPA is killer with the right profiles......I own an AX8 & Kemper.......they are totally awesome & different enough from each other, that having both basically covers everything you could possibly need.

You don't have to go down a rabbit hole with either unit to get great tones, unless of course you suffer from OCD :D

SQUAREHEAD":2v6ldprt said:
Rising Farce":2v6ldprt said:
SQUAREHEAD":2v6ldprt said:
Hey Cujo,

Yes, I always disable the cabinet, but I usually never have to do that because I am using direct profiles anyways… And yes it might seem odd, but they all do it including Michael Britt if you look up his YouTube video he uses the power section of a 5153 for his cabinet monitor on stage…
Btw, I have bypassed the power section of the K PA and used and pearce G2Rsolid-state power amplifier and it sounds way better through a cabinet… So I can understand you’re getting good results with yours…

The Kemper community is really great! I've gotten to know Michael Britt pretty well over the past couple of years and he is extremely involved and approachable. I got to go to a Lonestar show this past summer. I PM'd him and he told me to show up for soundcheck. He let me go onstage and take a look at his gear before the show. He is 100% Kemper including the Remote when they do these tours. He has gotten away from the 5153 power section and has gone exclusively to his signature Xitone cab (https://xitonecabs.com/product/mbritt/) for his stage sound. It sounded awesome!!! He is an amazing player and he has the Kemper dialed in for live tones for sure. That's all I use when I play live are his profiles. He says he still loves his tube amps but nothing beats the ease, sound and consistency of the Kemper live. That Les Paul was awesome!! Here is how it sounded on the front row!

...and yes...I shave my legs!!

Very cool, Gibson! Nice pictures too!!
Michael is a great guy, he has answered my emails and helped me out,
I have a few of his profile packs too… He definitely knows tone!
(So, he’s still NOT using the power section of the Kemper… ;)
His cabinet has a built in Dayton Audio Power amp which I believe is 400W or 800W?)

LP Freak":1z6iic6k said:

The Kemper isn't nearly as bad as the Fractal stuff in that regard. I just sold an AX8 for that reason, the Axe-Fx is like jumping down the rabbit hole. I'll probably get another modeler but I'm going to wait and see what comes out within the next year.

danyeo":3rwo7gir said:
LP Freak":3rwo7gir said:

The Kemper isn't nearly as bad as the Fractal stuff in that regard. I just sold an AX8 for that reason, the Axe-Fx is like jumping down the rabbit hole. I'll probably get another modeler but I'm going to wait and see what comes out within the next year.

You don't have to tweak it. I have the AX8 and I set it up and haven't tweaked it in months. I'm still on firmware 8. Treat it like an amp, just build a few presets and play the fuckin thing!

SQUAREHEAD":1o9f4189 said:
Hey Cujo,

I tried it in a store. Not sure if the cab thing was disabled or not ... all I know is i got it to sound just like the stealth next to it ... same evh cab ! That’s what convinced me Kemper is real deal.

So I’ve got a Kemper on layaway. The more I read the more confusing it is ...is this unit hard to use and set up ? It seams confusing. I’ve no intention of profiling when there some many to buy. Recording and live use. I test drove it for an hour or so at the store sounds excellent but ...

I guess question is setting up which amp profiles I want to keep and deleting the rest, can you do this ? I don’t want to have to dig endlessly through paremiters n folders.

Also I read tweaking these amp models is endless with bias and tube sag etc....

I’ve used many different processors through out the years this seams more difficult or not really ?

Maybe someone can just help clear some of this up before I abort my purchase n run back to a tube amp.

Thanks in advance.
Cujo,

How is your Kemper?

I used a Line 6 Vetta II, years ago into a 412 cab.
I since moved back to tube amps and have ever since.
Ive been thinking of diving back in with either Kemper or Fractal Audio.

I was about to save for a Diezel D-Mol to add to my collection of modified Mesa Dual Rec, Mark V and PRS Archon 100.
Then I was hoping to get a Bogner XTC in another year.

With all this research and thinking, I've been wondering how I'd enjoy going back to modeling, or step into profiling.

I saw a few bands live with Kemper and live with Fractal Audio and some sounded amazing, while some, not so great.

I saw a Van Halen tribute band where the guitarist used a Kemper powered head into Marshall cans. His tone was awesome but I have no idea how it felt.

I also saw bands like Between the Buried and Me useFractal Audio rigs into Mesa tube power amps and 412 cabs.

The thing is, I also like effects and feel I may want a tube power amp, so the Axe FX seems like a good idea.
But it seems so easy and a nice neat package having the Kemper powered head without the need for tubes.
If I don't like the effects, I can use my effects in the loop and turn off the cab Sims, running the head thru my cabinets.

So many options with Kemper and Fractal Audio.

What ha e you found works best? What do you like and dislike?
Do you get that in the room tube amp hitting you in the gut feel and sound?

Back