NGD!!!

The JP2C is a great amp. I liked it most with Sylvania 6L6 power tubes and Chinese 8th generation preamp tubes.

Yeah man, i tried a JP2C in a 4x12 recto cab at the music store a couple of weeks ago. I was blown away, so many options and super easy to dial. A couple of dudes gather around me to hear the amp, believe me it had nothing to do with my shitty playing haha. Everybody was super impressed by the JP2C.

Congrats, killer amp!!!

psychodave":1k7tkbha said:
The JP2C is a great amp. I liked it most with Sylvania 6L6 power tubes and Chinese 8th generation preamp tubes.

I put in all 9th gen (according to the reverb seller which I believe to be accurate). Tbh I didn’t notice much of a difference but I just got it today so I have a lot of playing to do.

It’s a really awesome amp. Played it with a drummer tonight and next week I get to run it through my 4x12 so that should be pretty sweet.

:rock:

First Mesa, glad I got it.

One thing for sure, you will cut through the mix better in your band with the JP2C than with your Rev 2 Uber.

maddnotez":2dq7b1de said:
First impression, this amp kills. It is a monster and can get stupid heavy. Tons of options.

I like the small size but the tubes are kind of a pain to get to, not a huge deal. Going to practice with the band and will have to A/B with the Bogner but I’m really digging it so far.

It does. :yes:

... and it looks so cute an unassuming at the same time too. :LOL: :LOL:

Wizard of Ozz":ey1ol1rt said:
maddnotez":ey1ol1rt said:
First impression, this amp kills. It is a monster and can get stupid heavy. Tons of options.

I like the small size but the tubes are kind of a pain to get to, not a huge deal. Going to practice with the band and will have to A/B with the Bogner but I’m really digging it so far.

It does. :yes:

... and it looks so cute an unassuming at the same time too. :LOL: :LOL:

Too bad they didn’t have pink or polka dot tolex.

I do like the smaller size overall, not as heavy and can get in and out of doors/around corners easy without banging it up. Only issue is the tubes are a pain like I mentioned. So far that’s the only negative and that is tolerable, not like I’ll be changing them too often.

Metal1977":ey1ol1rt said:
One thing for sure, you will cut through the mix better in your band with the JP2C than with your Rev 2 Uber.

:thumbsup: What I was hoping for. I should find that out in the next week or two.

Congrats! Glad to hear you're enjoying it... that dual EQ must be an amazing addition! I've been a fan of the Mark series for years. One thing's for sure, you definitely won't have any difficulties cutting through the mix!

ChurchHill":13vh4f1o said:
Congrats! Glad to hear you're enjoying it... that dual EQ must be an amazing addition! I've been a fan of the Mark series for years. One thing's for sure, you definitely won't have any difficulties cutting through the mix!

The GEQ’s are unbelievably powerful. I have much to learn with this amp as the regular EQ knobs act a certain way that’s hard for me to explain. They’re very subtle and almost seem to act like a parametric? The mid knob especially. It’s really interactive with the presence. Not sure if good or bad yet, for example if the presence is very high, that mid knob seems to be VERY subtle and doesn’t seem to do a whole lot.

maddnotez":1lkdrp10 said:
ChurchHill":1lkdrp10 said:

The GEQ’s are unbelievably powerful. I have much to learn with this amp as the regular EQ knobs act a certain way that’s hard for me to explain. They’re very subtle and almost seem to act like a parametric? The mid knob especially. It’s really interactive with the presence. Not sure if good or bad yet, for example if the presence is very high, that mid knob seems to be VERY subtle and doesn’t seem to do a whole lot.
So, if you turn the treble waay up you won't notice much when you dial the mids up or back. Try turning the treble down and then you'll notice a difference with the mid dial. It's a certain type of EQ circuit that sort of cascades the tone controls into one another, so by maxing one it negates the effects of the others, or something like that lol.

Racerxrated":39ccoc4c said:
maddnotez":39ccoc4c said:
ChurchHill":39ccoc4c said:

So, if you turn the treble waay up you won't notice much when you dial the mids up or back. Try turning the treble down and then you'll notice a difference with the mid dial. It's a certain type of EQ circuit that sort of cascades the tone controls into one another, so by maxing one it negates the effects of the others, or something like that lol.

With Mesa amplifiers, i was told to dial them from gain, treble, mid, bass and presence, because of that cascading effect of the tone controls. The Mark series are known for being finicky with their tone controls, but i found the JP-2C easier to dial.

I've heard that, too. I usually start with the EQ off and all tones at 5. First, I'll set the gains closer to where I want them. IIRC, higher values of treble can add gain, too. So, the gain is just a rough estimate at this point. Next, I'll set the treble where I want it, usually around 6 or 7 on the knob. Mid usually ends up pretty close to treble. Bass usually ends up pretty low between 0-3 on the knob. Presence set to taste (usually based on the room I'm in). Then I'll switch on the EQ and I'll work top-down, setting each where it sounds the best. I usually have to take 2 or 3 passes to get it where I want to.

Another setting I used to use a lot (completely non-conformist based on the Boogie community)... I'd turn the gain to around 5, then set B/M/T/P all to 10, all the way up. Without the EQ, this sounds like garbage. Them, I'd set the gains where I wanted it, then I'd use the EQ. I'd end up with more of an M shape as opposed to the more typical V. I'd get rid of the muddiness by lowering the bottom slider, get rid of extraneous highs by lowering the top slider (not nearly as much as the bass). I'd put the mid-bass and mid-treble sliders almost all the way up, then fine-tune with the mid slider, usually just cutting a bit, about half as much as a typical V setting.

I haven't tried this on a JP2C, but both have worked well on my Studio Pre/SwitchTrack 395, Mark III Blue, and Mark IV. They really are a pain to dial in, but once you get used to them, it's not difficult, either. It's kinda like getting used to the tone controls on an Uberschall. Those things are just flat out mislabeled (but I LOVE with they do). :)

Yep to both posts above ^^^.

They all interact. If I have T/M/B all on 0 and then bring the mids up it actually gives more gain. Then if I turn treble up it takes gain away.

Pretty odd and I really have my work cut out for me to get a “perfect” tone but even out of the box it is not hard to get a very useable tone.

Another thing which may be even more of a balancing act is volume but I won’t get into that lol.

Here is a crappy cell phone recording I made. Using ESP Horizon with Balaguer Ferals, Mills 2x12 with Eminence V12 Legends. Straight into the amp, no pedals.

I just dialed in the stock "instant gratification" settings from the manual and went through each channel. At about 1:30 in the recording I started making some tweaks on CH. 3 for a more high gain/brutal tone.

This amp can do so much more then what I did here but I did not want to make a 20 minute recording. I am still learning the amp and feel I have a long way to go before I have my dials perfected. I still have not even got to try this amp with my V30 4x12 yet. I am hoping that brings the extra volume that I need.

The biggest struggle with this amp for me is getting the same tones that I like at a loud, unmiked band rehearsal volume.

I will try the CAB Clone in the future for some better recordings but this is all I got for now.

Back