All the SG love lately....

The Faded SG Specials can be really good. You just have to play each one.
They can be inconsistent, but good ones are out there.

I played a brown faded a few years ago and played and sounded great! As mentioned you have to give each one a try and see how it is.

I have 3 SGs. One is a 61' reissue. I have one dedicated to drop D. I love the SG. I also have Les Pauls but the SG holds a special place for me. They have a big open sound. Great raw tone. They sustain as well as LPs but they sound bigger in my opinion. They are light, resonant, organic sounding. Detractors say they have tuning issues. Get a good nut or nut job and maybe put locking tuners on them but I have never found the need after getting a bone nut installed. Also the stock nut works if you use graphite or Nut Sauce. Finally they look awesome! No other guitar looks like an SG!

Agree with trying to play before buying if you're in a situation where you can't return but a good Special is as good as a Standard. Some of the specials have some pretty chunky necks too. They often can be a PU change away from glory. The one in your link looks nice. They're pretty common on GC used for 499 or less and you can return there if you need to.

I really want to find a nice SG in a white or pelham blue!

I have a 2014 SGJ in Fireburst, and it's every bit as much of an SG as my 2005 Standard was. In fact, it's better. Doesn't nose dive as much, sounds better, plays better.

Back