Tell me more about Tom anderson please?

cnote":udup5fh5 said:
I went through a lot of guitars before buying a TAG this past year. Pretty dang shocking how perfect it is. In terms of fit and finish, it doesn't get better. To me more a of sonic signature than a Suhr. Tom seems to have a formula, and it works - Suhr guitars come lots of different ways, but the formula for a TAG is not too different from guitar to guitar. Hard to beat the tone or the versatility- I have a HSH model. The fretwork, nut, trem, all are perfect and tuning is very stable. There's nothing not to like. All brands get lucky and produce great guitars now and then, but I think TOM has his art down to some semblance of science.

Some good points here. And yes, with Tom's guitars, it's art, science and mathematical precision. I've never played a brand of guitars that are so consistently perfect in every single way. Sometimes I do find myself more in the mood for a certain mojo I get from my CS Charvels and Fenders, but, as someone already mentioned above, I don't think you can buy an objectively nicer/better guitar than a Tom Anderson.

Best guitars on the planet! PERIOD!!! I own 4! Cobra, Cobra S, Raven Superbird, Drop Top Classic. The only other brand that is on this level is Suhr, but I still like Anderson better.

lessthan12":55ys0xsn said:
Ive had 3 Angels and am currently own to 2. I have been thinking about selling my atlantic storm to fund another custom build. My teal one is my first custom sec guitar Ive done and so far the best guitar Ive owned. Ive been hooked on Andersons since my first one. I currently have the H3 bridge pup in one guitar and H3+ in my custom spec. They're very modern, tight and super articulate pups. You either will love or hate Anderson pups, personally I love them. Ive had 2 Suhr moderns nd both got sold, for me personally I think Anderson makes a better playing/sounding guitar.
This is my custom spec one
JJ9aZKql.jpg

and my other one
JbRFPxGl.jpg

On your custom spec did you get a "personalized" top, and if so what did you ask for specifically?

I've been through just about every guitar type/maker over the years and rate Anderson at the very top end for quality and tone.
I was hooked by the good folks at Mesa Hollywood store when in the 90s they only carried one guitar maker - Anderson - alongside the Mesa amps - there is a strong relationship between the manufacturers, with Doug West, the Mesa tester, using Anderson exclusively.
Tom Anderson is a builder of the highest integrity and when he was going to call it a day a few years back, he was persuaded to continue by the strong feeling from his customers. We are fortunate that he did.

I am a Tom Anderson fanboy. Back in 2008 I finally got in a position to custom build a guitar. Spent a lot of time researching builders and decided on Tom. Aside from what has been said above about the quality and consistency of his builds I was sold on Tom and the service he provides. He is as sweet a guy as you'll meet and I have never met a family of people that care about every one of their customers. I have had the opportunity to interact with Tom and Roy over the past 9 years and have even helped with a couple of their projects (from a software perspective) and they made me feel valued. They treated me like I was a professional musician. I told that to Roy on the phone and he said we care about all of our players. I believe that.

I am a fan for life and currently have 6 TAGs...a Shorty Classic T, Classic S, Drop Top, Pro Am and 2 Bulldog models:

I used to have 7, here is a shot from back then. Had to sell 2 in order to cover some bills for my ex. Oops.

https://instagram.com/p/BOjFQzRgdct/

Metlupass2":1d3utldm said:
Ethn Hayabusa":1d3utldm said:
Best guitars on earth. I currently have 5, and I put their pickups in most of my other guitars. I use a Suhr and Ibanez Jem live, because I need 24 frets for a lot of my stuff. Most of my album is Andersons. Dying to get an Angel!

Pictures please. You too Hoff!

My favorite builder, hands down. Everything seems to be made with the utmost concern for the final product. Somebody asked for a Suhr comparison...I've owned and played plenty of both, and while I've liked a lot of Suhrs, there were far too many that felt very "plastic" to me for lack of a better term...very lifeless and dull when compared to an Anderson. That's my experience anyway.
As for pickups, they're kind of a love/hate thing. The H-Series are standard sized humbuckers...you can swap them around with Duncans, Dimarzios, etc...they're all interchangeable. Overall, I find them to have a very big, clear, "hi-fi" sound...piano-like clean tones and very well defined dirty tones. There's no "slop" with these...poor technique will be quickly exposed...almost the opposite of a JB in that regard. There's never any "smear" to the notes and the bottom is big and tight.
And just a general PSA: although frequently a good "rule of thumb", resistance is not a reliable measurement of output. An Anderson H2+ is approx a 10.5K pickup, but will hit the front end of an amp about as hard as a Duncan JB at 16.5K

My Angels :

PGd0TdLl.jpg

qzUBKwnl.jpg

Incredible guitars , Outstanding Tone and Feel and they are consistently made that way. I find other builders to be more hit or miss.

the4thlast1":28w3enz3 said:
My Angels :

PGd0TdLl.jpg

That blue burst is really beautiful! I love the one single in the neck look. What pickups did you put the guitar? Tom doesn't do humbuckers with white bobbin.

dfarr":99e96vse said:
lessthan12":99e96vse said:
Ive had 3 Angels and am currently own to 2. I have been thinking about selling my atlantic storm to fund another custom build. My teal one is my first custom sec guitar Ive done and so far the best guitar Ive owned. Ive been hooked on Andersons since my first one. I currently have the H3 bridge pup in one guitar and H3+ in my custom spec. They're very modern, tight and super articulate pups. You either will love or hate Anderson pups, personally I love them. Ive had 2 Suhr moderns nd both got sold, for me personally I think Anderson makes a better playing/sounding guitar.
This is my custom spec one
JJ9aZKql.jpg

and my other one
JbRFPxGl.jpg

On your custom spec did you get a "personalized" top, and if so what did you ask for specifically?

Yes I went for the personal top choice. They ask you to send a "target" pic of what you are looking for. I sent them a pic of a PRS Private stock that had a very even and tight quilt. I also specified I wanted it even on both sides of the quilt without any "wash out spots." I think they knocked it out of the park!

Back