Tell me more about Tom anderson please?

hopkinWFG

I recently got a GAS on Tom anderson guitars... i may wanna order an Angel player or Guardian angel player.. does anybody know how their stock pickup is like compares to guys from Duncans ?

Will their stock pickup cavity be able to fit in a duncan ?

Which store out there will have the best deal for a Anderson ?

I can't answer any of that, but I can tell you that I love my Anderson. Stock pu and all. Bad ass usa made guitar

Fordman65":2zfl2an6 said:
I can't answer any of that, but I can tell you that I love my Anderson. Stock pu and all. Bad ass usa made guitar

How will a Anderson angel compares to a suhr modern ?

Ive had 3 Angels and am currently own to 2. I have been thinking about selling my atlantic storm to fund another custom build. My teal one is my first custom sec guitar Ive done and so far the best guitar Ive owned. Ive been hooked on Andersons since my first one. I currently have the H3 bridge pup in one guitar and H3+ in my custom spec. They're very modern, tight and super articulate pups. You either will love or hate Anderson pups, personally I love them. Ive had 2 Suhr moderns nd both got sold, for me personally I think Anderson makes a better playing/sounding guitar.
This is my custom spec one
JJ9aZKql.jpg

and my other one
JbRFPxGl.jpg

Wow... killer looking guitars... ! I see a chocolate maple on yours... but both the lighter and darker being caramel and chocolate maple.. are just different roasting process ? Will these roasted maple impact on tone ?

hopkinWFG":3qy2r4vj said:
Wow... killer looking guitars... ! I see a chocolate maple on yours... but both the lighter and darker being caramel and chocolate maple.. are just different roasting process ? Will these roasted maple impact on tone ?

my custom spec one has a chocolate maple neck with a ziricote board and the atlantic storm one has a regular maple neck with a rosewood board. They say the roasting process, caramel maple is lighter and less time in the kiln than chocolate maple btw, will make it more resonant because it removes all the moisture. The biggest thing I noticed is how much more stage the roasted neck is, I haven't had to adjust it since I got it at the end of august and it came from Ca to RI

hopkinWFG":21afiisp said:
Fordman65":21afiisp said:

How will a Anderson angel compares to a suhr modern ?

Having played both, I tend to like Andersons better than Suhrs.

I own 4 Suhrs btw, so I'm not biased against Anderson.

I have an H3+ in my Anderson and it's a good pickup, but I don't love it. I have no idea what the resistance is, but it seems like it's lower than I would expect for their highest gain pickup.

From the look of the direct mount pickup routs, other pickup brands *should* fit but I wouldn't want to state anything definitive. However, it's not like the curved leg routs on a Suhr, where you'd have to re-shape the pickup legs of a Duncan to fit.

When it comes to dealers, I just use Music Zoo and have nothing but good to say about them. Anderson are great to order from - they'll contact you either through the dealer or direct if there's anything they want to clarify.

As for the comparison with Suhr, I have my custom order Anderson classic and I have a Suhr Reb Beach, so I can't compare Angel to Modern. Mine are both great guitars, but I think the Anderson is the best guitar I own. The Wedgie neck join is a great, great thing and that is what gives it the edge over the Suhr to me. From a visual perspective, I've always thought the Modern looks weird with the way they've offset the body, whereas the Anderson is spot on.

Brian's Guitars gave me the best price on my Anderson by a few hundred dollars actually. It was a more customized build though, one off finish, etc so that might have had something to do with it.

Anderson makes the best guitars in the world in my opinion. I mean I know there's other builders out there that are comparable, but Tom's stuff is top notch and you get it when they say you're going to get it, which is 4-6 months. No long wait or BS delays like you get with basically every custom shop. I got mine 5 months to the day from when I ordered it.

The pickups can always be swapped but they're good. They're more for cleans and rock playing but I have an HC3 in mine and all I have to do is raise the bass and gain on my amp and it's fine. They have probably the best clean tones out of any humbucker.

Candiria":i9ft0q9k said:
Brian's Guitars gave me the best price on my Anderson by a few hundred dollars actually. It was a more customized build though, one off finish, etc so that might have had something to do with it.

Anderson makes the best guitars in the world in my opinion. I mean I know there's other builders out there that are comparable, but Tom's stuff is top notch and you get it when they say you're going to get it, which is 4-6 months. No long wait or BS delays like you get with basically every custom shop. I got mine 5 months to the day from when I ordered it.

The pickups can always be swapped but they're good. They're more for cleans and rock playing but I have an HC3 in mine and all I have to do is raise the bass and gain on my amp and it's fine. They have probably the best clean tones out of any humbucker.

I agree with the wait time for sure, I got lucky as well as Matts Music had a build that was supposed to start the week of my order and I got the slot so mine was 3 1/2 months from order. The msrp on my custom order came to $6214 (I chose ALOT of extra options including the personal top choice and color match logo) and ended up paying $4700 out of pocket so I got quite a bit off through Matts

neilli777":6co6x208 said:
I have an H3+ in my Anderson and it's a good pickup, but I don't love it. I have no idea what the resistance is, but it seems like it's lower than I would expect for their highest gain pickup.

From the look of the direct mount pickup routs, other pickup brands *should* fit but I wouldn't want to state anything definitive. However, it's not like the curved leg routs on a Suhr, where you'd have to re-shape the pickup legs of a Duncan to fit.

When it comes to dealers, I just use Music Zoo and have nothing but good to say about them. Anderson are great to order from - they'll contact you either through the dealer or direct if there's anything they want to clarify.

As for the comparison with Suhr, I have my custom order Anderson classic and I have a Suhr Reb Beach, so I can't compare Angel to Modern. Mine are both great guitars, but I think the Anderson is the best guitar I own. The Wedgie neck join is a great, great thing and that is what gives it the edge over the Suhr to me. From a visual perspective, I've always thought the Modern looks weird with the way they've offset the body, whereas the Anderson is spot on.

Hi Neilli.. thanks alot for chiming in and yes at some point i also find the suhr modern kinda weird looking...

I have a few Andersons:
Drop Top
Bulldog Pup
Icon

Andersons are the best guitars money can buy in my opinion.

Tok also is a great guys. If you call the shop, it’s not unusual for him to answer the phone and he’s happy to chat.

Everyone has personal preference, but you can’t buy an objectively nicer guitar than an Anderson. Fit, finish, and playability is as good as it gets. I’m unfortunately in the camp that does not like the new neck joint. I can’t prove anything of course, but the Andersons I’ve had with it didn’t have the magic mojo of some of the older ones I’ve had. And I had one with a baked maple neck and sent it back at my expense to have a normal maple neck put on because I did not like how it sustained. All the normal maple necks are extremely stable as well.

Best guitars on earth. I currently have 5, and I put their pickups in most of my other guitars. I use a Suhr and Ibanez Jem live, because I need 24 frets for a lot of my stuff. Most of my album is Andersons. Dying to get an Angel!

I always remember seeing these hanging on the walls of guitar stores in the 90s and thinking they looked so badass but wondering why I didn't see many artists playing them. They were like this rare guitar type that only certain people knew a lot about. I remember seeing Vivian Campbell with one in a magazine or something years ago.

When I saw my first Suhr guitar, it reminded me of those. I think there are similarities.

Ethn Hayabusa":2t0re6ln said:
Best guitars on earth. I currently have 5, and I put their pickups in most of my other guitars. I use a Suhr and Ibanez Jem live, because I need 24 frets for a lot of my stuff. Most of my album is Andersons. Dying to get an Angel!

Pictures please. You too Hoff!

Just wonder does the wedge joint at the heel makes it thicker ? Does the heel joint be like an ibanez or a typical strat style guitar where you can feel the limitations when access inner frets ?

Imo their angel series is most sexy guitar followed their cobra... their guardian angel player in ocean turquose plus black pearl pickguard gets my attention !

I went through a lot of guitars before buying a TAG this past year. Pretty dang shocking how perfect it is. In terms of fit and finish, it doesn't get better. To me more a of sonic signature than a Suhr. Tom seems to have a formula, and it works - Suhr guitars come lots of different ways, but the formula for a TAG is not too different from guitar to guitar. Hard to beat the tone or the versatility- I have a HSH model. The fretwork, nut, trem, all are perfect and tuning is very stable. There's nothing not to like. All brands get lucky and produce great guitars now and then, but I think TOM has his art down to some semblance of science.

Back