Alternative pick materials

alan67

I currently use Gravity picks but was checking out picks made of various types of metals and stone - especially those made by Stone Picks....anyone have any experience with these?

I have a friend that loves stone picks. Never tried them. I'm partial to the new Dunlop primetime jazz iiixl. I used v-picks for a while before that.

I talked to Jeff Watson a few weeks ago and he still uses stainless picks made by David Reasoner

stephen sawall":u6ai5djh said:
The problem I had with metal and stone picks is they ate up the strings very fast. They sounded fine.

and god forbid you drop a stone pick on a hard floor. bye bye $15

I was bored at work a couple years back and made some picks out of quarters. I liked them. Not sure where they went :confused:

alan67":1w7ub31z said:
stratjacket":1w7ub31z said:
I tried Winspear last year and got hooked. Expensive, but awesome picks.

https://www.winspearinstrumental.com

Those look pretty cool, how do they wear?

I tried many flavors, but really like the 1mm Amber Shiva. I have a little half cup with about 15 of them in there and I just grab one out when I play. I've not noticed any change in any of them, they don't seem to wear out much at all. I'm sure if I played the same one everyday and hammered the hell out of it, that may be different. But so far I still have and play all that I've bought. Made me ditch the jazz III.

Stone picks are cool and smooth, but they "chirp" a lot and i'm not a fan of that sound. I have some old picks that are copper and they are really cool and super aggressive sounding if your into that. Stainless steel is another one I like. Not as aggressive as copper though.

messenger":519rvfr8 said:
stratjacket":519rvfr8 said:

So basically just a different type of plastic if I’m understanding correctly?

Yes, each pick is a different kind of material. If you click on a pick, I believe it has a description of the material. There is also a little tab for a guide. But pasted below:

Models_ab2e0b65-88b1-4e9e-a9b1-d8ee80b0fd09.png

stratjacket":2tandgbe said:
messenger":2tandgbe said:
stratjacket":2tandgbe said:

So basically just a different type of plastic if I’m understanding correctly?

Yes, each pick is a different kind of material. If you click on a pick, I believe it has a description of the material. There is also a little tab for a guide. But pasted below:

Models_ab2e0b65-88b1-4e9e-a9b1-d8ee80b0fd09.png

You order them from the UK or is there a US distributor?

alan67":1rdt0e28 said:
I currently use Gravity picks but was checking out picks made of various types of metals and stone - especially those made by Stone Picks....anyone have any experience with these?

How are those gravity picks? I'm curious about picks now after I recently changed after like 25 years of using the same picks.

Back